Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tsk tsk, Safav wasn't here. And nobody else linked to it either.

Roguey, meet the Obsidian noob squad.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Duel-wielding weapons was never done in real battle. Fencing and theoretical martial arts do not count as real battle. There's nothing more to be said on the subject.
Good thing that PoE 2 models military-grade spell-casting use though, and finally the balancing of weaponry is approaching a similar state.

Parabalus

Arcane
New backer spells with next patch:
I think they forgot that Terrified is now a 'stun', or the % chance/duration is low on the latter.

That is actually a PL VII spell. Regarding Terrify, a PL III spell does even more - terrifies enemies near, regardless if they are attacking the target or not.
Still pretty awesome. That casting/recovery time though...

Didn't even catch that, might be placeholder?
Hopefully, seems garbage with such long times, specially since they usually made self-buffs instant cast+no recovery.

I've got a new appreciation for PoE's itemization btw. Everyone knows Modwyr, the bitch sword.
But there are some other awesome pieces of gear. I like a lot the flavour of Lord Darryn's Voulge storm pollaxe.

But now I love Escongliero de Espirs estoc. Gotten trough a series of quests, this Devourer of Souls royal sword of Vaila is way cooler then a Holy Avenger or some such. Plus in that quest chain you get the opportunity to seize Fonferrus, a Flying Hangman ghost galleon eternally covered in mist.
The BG games have nothing on PoE2's itemization.

The sword is sad since I had it from <lvl 10 as a quest item, but only unlocked it right before the end, and it isn't THAT good sadly. Would be nice if you could read his journal or some such for the invocation earlier.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've got a new appreciation for PoE's itemization btw. Everyone knows Modwyr, the bitch sword.
But there are some other awesome pieces of gear. I like a lot the flavour of Lord Darryn's Voulge storm pollaxe.

But now I love Escongliero de Espirs estoc. Gotten trough a series of quests, this Devourer of Souls royal sword of Vaila is way cooler then a Holy Avenger or some such. Plus in that quest chain you get the opportunity to seize Fonferrus, a Flying Hangman ghost galleon eternally covered in mist.
The BG games have nothing on PoE2's itemization.

The sword is sad since I had it from <lvl 10 as a quest item, but only unlocked it right before the end, and it isn't THAT good sadly. Would be nice if you could read his journal or some such for the invocation earlier.

Well, I've rushed this questline, as I curently play a Streetfighter / Estoc Devoted. Fighting the Floating Hangman undead crew at level 15 was kinda rough (including those 2 damn Ancient Fampyrs), but now I can enjoy Engoliero playing trough most side-quests and faction quests. Also got an awesome galleon-class ghost ship for free.
As for the sword... I don't know. It's pretty solid for me. +3 Might&Con&Dex (after first kill, earlier its -3), 10% raw lash and the Ghost Blade procs on kills, that look spectacular, have a huge aoe and do decent damage (base damage is modified by Weapon legendary enchantment for +60%, Might bonus, Two handed bonus, and maybe also sneak bonus for vulnerable targets plus it Hobbles enemies. Don't know what else I could ask for in a single weapon.
Sure, the other 2 unique estocs are really good also.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
welp.. had to make some room on the SSD for Dragon Quest XI so I uninstalled dumpsterfire.. shit was taking up too much space. :salute:

i reinstalled on my HDD tho so I'll play the DLC some time

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anecdote from panel: The noobs wanted to make Vatnir a Harbinger (Chanter/Rogue multiclass) but Josh Sawyer forced them to design a new Rymgrand Priest subclass for him.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Ydwin and other sidekicks will be getting more content in future DLCs but are very unlikely to become full companions, Alex Scokel says.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh hey, there was a Seeker Slayer Survivor teaser at the end:

Coming September 25th.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
https://thepixelpost.com/passe-au-crible/gamescom-2018-interview-dlc-pillars-of-eternity-2

The Gamescom Cologne was an opportunity for us to discuss with many of the characters in the industry. In this article and video, you'll find our interview with Brandon Adler, DLC Director of Pillars of Eternity 2 at Obsidian. It discusses the main new features, additions and directions that will take Pillars and its paid DLC as free in the coming months.

So our first question is: why always snow in the first DLC?

I do not know if there is a particular reason. In fact though, there was a cool area that had to be removed from the base game because we did not have time to finalize it and it was an area with an iceberg. And we had some areas of the genre but we said "well it would be cool if we took this one and made a dungeon." So that's one of the reasons we chose this place and it fit well with the theme we had chosen, we really wanted to go deeper into the subject of God Rymrgand. It's the God of entropy and winter, so everything was in perfect harmony. But other than that, there's really no reason.

Is not it a bit hard to introduce a new character into a DLC, since the player only has a few hours to get to know him and want to keep him afterwards?

It can be a little hard when you introduce a new character into a shorter DLC but one of the ways we've got around that is to get the character into the story, and when you take Vatnir with you, he has a lot to say and he is indispensable for everything that happens around you. It's easier to understand his past and create a connection with him, we want to take him in the next adventures.

The next DLC will be "Seeker, Slayer, Survive". Are you going to work on it?

Yes, to tell you the truth, we are already working on it. We're almost finished, we're refining some details and it should be out in a month and a half two months.

The DLC will be focused on our team and our tactical skill as a commander. What can players expect from this?

There may have been a problem of communication or information. It will not really be team-centric, it must have been something we talked about in the past. But what we decided to do is really put forward the fight. In each DLC, we will take some of the gameplay and push it to the maximum to see what we can do with it. So for that one, we decided to make a gladiator arena. There will be a lot of fights, which will be built in different ways. In the story, there is an annual tribute to the god Galawain called "The Crucible" and something goes wrong, the villagers become agitated and attack people. So they decide to call the Guardian to commune with one of Galawain's aspects to find out what's wrong. So the player, through the fighting and the arena, try to catch the attention of one of the Galawain aspects in order to communicate with him. Overall, you will try to become the champion of the arena and there will be a whole story centered around that, not just fighting. It will be typical of the Pillars of Eternity experience: a lot of history, interaction with the characters, exploration, new cool things to get.

Will there be new spells, new spell combinations, a Tyranny system?

No we do not have any major changes or spells that we add for this DLC. We have a new system called The Artifacts System. In the new expansion, for combat, you travel around the extinct Fire Archipelago and collect these artifacts, which are related to legends, battles, important creatures, that sort of thing. You bring them back to the arena and you can somehow sacrifice them. This gives you access to the memories of the battles you are doing.

Will there be more content after the end of the main story or are they just side quests?

All of our DLCs can be considered as separate adventures but add a different context and point of view to the main story, which happens to the different gods or tribes you encounter. The main problem of Deadfire is that there is a God who destroys everything in his way, people ask "what can we do to stop that! Can we stop it? " . So each DLC is interested in that through different perspectives but it's also adventures apart so it's a bit of both in fact.

Will there be content a little lower level?

We already have a lot of low level content so our DLC is rather high level. For example, for the next DLC, it will have to be around level 16 or at least level 12 to start it. That said, we add content to the main game when it makes sense, for example those companions that you find in the DLCs will sometimes have additional content in the main story as well.

Will there be new mechanics for the boat?

There is none for this DLC in particular, but one of the things the community has told us is that they were not really happy with the battles between boats. So our game director, Josh Sawyer, is looking at what they can do on that side and the changes will be free for everyone.

Was there a strategy in announcing the content of future DLCs even before the game was released, was that compared to the backers?

When we put the game on Fig, we knew we were going to make DLC, as for the first game on Kickstarter. So we wanted to show people that we were really committed to doing it, that we would have several playable DLCs. We wanted people to be enthusiastic during the campaign on Fig.

Will the studio continue to drink Deadfire content for several years, as it is fashionable at the moment (games as services) or are you already thinking about the next game?

For the paid DLCs, the three that are announced are the ones we have already planned. We never know, maybe we'll add more DLC in the future. That said, we already have several free DLCs and updates, such as "the challenge of the Gods": each god, and there are eleven, has a specific challenge for the player. We recently released the "Berath Challenge": Normally, when a character is unconscious, you can resurrect him. But if this challenge is activated, after six seconds, the character is dead. So you can activate the different modes of the different gods by doing a game, for a little more challenge. We also have mega bosses that we will add in free updates, huge creatures with powerful powers. These are really the most powerful bosses of the game, it's for people who are really looking for a challenge, they will give very interesting rewards and the fights themselves are very strategic. I think the players will appreciate them a lot. We also did a lot of interface improvements, for example the enchantment system was a bit confusing, did not necessarily indicate the effects they were giving, we will see it again in the future. We have many things to come in the next year. for example the system of enchantments was a little confused, did not necessarily indicate very well the effects they gave, we will see it again in the future. We have many things to come in the next year. for example the system of enchantments was a little confused, did not necessarily indicate very well the effects they gave, we will see it again in the future. We have many things to come in the next year.

Last question: will there be more animals and can we pet them?

There will be more animals, the team loves to put them as soon as possible and in the DLC after "Seeker, Slayer, Survive" there may even be a special system for them. And if you can pet them? You only have to play the game to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I enjoyed PoE 2 for a good while. I think it would have been a much better game if they gated access to city sections and forced you out to sea between them before gaining access to the next one, and then the next one, etc.

As it was, by the time I almost finished clearing the city I had a quest log overflowing with quests I didn't have a handle on and was burned out on the game.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
They shouldn't gate content because some players don't know how to pace themselves.

It's an open world game. Complete a sidequest, explore some, and then return when you're feeling refreshed.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
They shouldn't gate content because some players don't know how to pace themselves.

It's an open world game. Complete a sidequest, explore some, and then return when you're feeling refreshed.

They shouldn't do a lot of things - like having combat devoid of challenge because their target audience is too stupid to handle thinking. But they keep doing those things. The things I want them to do would make it a better game for the only people I care if its a better game for - me and people with similar likes and tastes as me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom