Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Instruct me in the way of the cuddly JRPG

Curratum

So, with three major western RPGs that I backed on Kickstarter coming out in the next 60 days, I obviously had to finally start playing Japanese titles...

I preordered Dragon Quest XI this week and bought Ni No Kuni 2 yesterday, already 6 hours into it.

The thing is, I'm looking for recommendations for RPGs in the style of DQ XI and NNK2. I want something that looks and feels like a children's fairy tale, something cuddly, unpretentious, comfortable, cozy and sweet.

I've never been a big fan of JRPGs and I'm loving every minute of Ni No Kuni 2 so far. I love everything about it, thought I'd hate the real-time action combat but it feels ok. I'm very excited about DQ XI as well and was hoping those more acquainted with the ways of the east could point me in the direction of some more games that look and feel like DQ and NNK.

Thanks in advance!

Mustawd

FF10 has a few annoying Voice Actors but once you get past that it’s a great gsme. Has great combat and char customization.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
FF10 has a few annoying Voice Actors but once you get past that it’s a great gsme. Has great combat and char customization.
Unfortunately most later FFs are very far away from being a child's fairy tale, not cuddly, pretentious, uncomfortable, and not sweet at all.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I assume you've played the earlier Dragon Quest games, since the best way to be acquainted with DQ9 is to play DQ8 (and/or DQ5 remake) with a PS2 emulator... and I also assume you're not looking for snes/psx era games, since there you can find the best games for what you're looking for...

Anyway, for newer games:

The Legend of Heroes series
Ys series (the older ones have been re-released and translated for the pc) (action/rpg)
Xanadu Next (action/rpg)
The Last Remnant, maybe...

er... Final Fantasy 9 remaster for the PC? It's the most fairy-tail/cozy/unobnoxious FF probably.

Last edited:

Curratum

I did try playing X. Endured it to maybe the point where you go riding on the big elephant thing?

If I had to stomach another second of Yuna being a mildly insecure, constantly apologizing, subservient cunt and the progagonist being a clueless, retarded, head-scratching, pep-talking-when-not-retarded fuckwad, I would have probably thrown my monitor out of the window.

The game has some colorful locations and character designs and the story seemed decent but fuck that noise.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Nep-Nep. But not second game. One of the endings NOT FUCKING CUDDLY! I was traumatized.:argh:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You might like the Chocobo's Dungeon games. Disgaea kinda fits the bill too, especially the first one (second one much less so, haven't played 3-5 enough to judge.) Legend of Mana is great too; though very confusing and the combat is very bland. Oh, and Secret of Evermore.

Edit: And definitely Breath of Fire 2 and 3. They've got a couple dark bits but overall it's full of stuff like Jean the derpy frog prince trying to impress his sister with his cooking, or old man Bunyan catching you stealing from his house and giving you a stern talking to and making you chop logs for him.

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Final Fantasy IX looks like a child's fantasy book come to life. Okage: The Shadow King is another great fairy tale-esque JRPG.

also: golden sun is super bland shit and should be avoided by everyone, unless like you have a crushing ambien addiction and are trying to find an alternative to it

Shadenuat

Arcane
something that looks and feels like a children's fairy tale, something cuddly, unpretentious, comfortable, cozy and sweet.
The super dupah
awesum
Child
of
Light

Well maybe also Grandia 1, Lunar and Final Fantasy 9.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
So, with three major western RPGs that I backed on Kickstarter coming out in the next 60 days, I obviously had to finally start playing Japanese titles...

I preordered Dragon Quest XI this week and bought Ni No Kuni 2 yesterday, already 6 hours into it.

The thing is, I'm looking for recommendations for RPGs in the style of DQ XI and NNK2. I want something that looks and feels like a children's fairy tale, something cuddly, unpretentious, comfortable, cozy and sweet.

I've never been a big fan of JRPGs and I'm loving every minute of Ni No Kuni 2 so far. I love everything about it, thought I'd hate the real-time action combat but it feels ok. I'm very excited about DQ XI as well and was hoping those more acquainted with the ways of the east could point me in the direction of some more games that look and feel like DQ and NNK.

Thanks in advance!
Earthbound and Mother 3.
The first Ni No Kuni drags a bit but it is good...
It feels a bit gay to recommend it now but Undertale I guess.

Vorark

Erudite
Make sure to check the previous DQ entries too. VIII will be the most similar to XI and you can emulate either the PS2 or 3DS versions. Taking in account your desire for a "fairy tale", V is another excellent candidate, the DS version being the most accessible as you won't need to hunt down a patched iso.

PoPoLoCrois (PSP) also fits the bill.

Last edited:

Mustawd

If I had to stomach another second of Yuna being a mildly insecure, constantly apologizing, subservient cunt and the progagonist being a clueless, retarded, head-scratching, pep-talking-when-not-retarded fuckwad, I would have probably thrown my monitor out of the window.

So...japanese woman?

Yuna was great tbh.

summoner_yuna_cosplay_by_alyson_tabbitha_by_alysontabbitha-dax26s9.jpg

5b8ff44871ffd1e98992276edfa4682f.jpg

Yuna%2BCosplay%2BCostume%2BFInal%2BFantasy.jpg

Curratum

I'm really keen about DQ8 but never tried PS2 emulation. Is the 3DS version identical? I imagine the 3DS would be easier to set up an emulator for...

[Edit] Yuna was only great if you have some weird fetish about subservient, annoying, sniveling women, I suppose...

Deflowerer

Arcane
Tsugunai: Atonement is not really bubbly, but it's incredibly charming and heart-warming game.

deama

Prophet
I'm really keen about DQ8 but never tried PS2 emulation. Is the 3DS version identical? I imagine the 3DS would be easier to set up an emulator for...

[Edit] Yuna was only great if you have some weird fetish about subservient, annoying, sniveling women, I suppose...
I donno about the versions, but the PS2 emulator has been worked on for a very long time, so most games should work fairly well on it. The 3DS emulator is kinda new, so may be problemetic to play on that one.

Hyperion

Arcane
The Last Remnant, maybe...
If you want the Last Remnant, you have to buy it literally NOW, since it's being taken off Steam today (Tuesday, September 4th). *Hopefully* this means we'll finally be getting a remaster / Sony version that we were supposed to get 10 years ago, but you never know with Square Enix. It's also not a cute, cuddly, cozy JRPG by any means. But still incredible.

Legend in the Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Very slow start, try not to be turned off by this)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy IX
Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Eternal Sonata
Grandia II
I Am Setsuna
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Tales of Symphonia
Chrono Cross
Breath of Fire III
SaGa Frontier II

Mustawd

Legend in the Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Very slow start, try not to be turned off by this)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy IX
Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Eternal Sonata
Grandia II
I Am Setsuna
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Tales of Symphonia
Chrono Cross
Breath of Fire III
SaGa Frontier II

No Chrono Trigger.

:hmmm:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yuna's summoner costume is much more lewd (Black bra) than the X-2 version. In X-2 she's just being embarrassing to have your parents walk in while you're playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom