Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Silva

Arcane
Can someone gimme a resume of the game? I don't want to read eleven pages for what seems like a shit game.

Is this CK2 in Rome?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Don't worry guys, I'm sure they'll bring in the second consul as DLC later.

It's not just the lack of a second consul. It's also the 5 year term, made up shit like Vulnerarius and other ahistorical stuff. It seems they're going to take the gamey route with their games, it started with EU4 but it was still bearable, this is not.
Yeah,i still remember when EU4 was fun. Being some Asian and going for no westernazation WC was fun and challenging. Now everyone is the same tech and the game lacks any historical accuracy or challenge. I barely play it any more,only with mods.

M. AQVILA

Arcane

It's not just the lack of a second consul. It's also the 5 year term, made up shit like Vulnerarius and other ahistorical stuff. It seems they're going to take the gamey route with their games, it started with EU4 but it was still bearable, this is not.
Yeah,i still remember when EU4 was fun. Being some Asian and going for no westernazation WC was fun and challenging. Now everyone is the same tech and the game lacks any historical accuracy or challenge. I barely play it any more,only with mods.

Nah, at the start of the game the most advanced and developed countries were Ming and the Ottomans yet western nations had an unreasonable advantage. Plus you should be able to compete with the West under the right conditions, Westernization didn't make any sense early to mid game. It was a shit system.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Nah, at the start of the game the most advanced and developed countries were Ming and the Ottomans yet western nations had an unreasonable advantage. Plus you should be able to compete with the West under the right conditions, Westernization didn't make any sense early to mid game. It was a shit system.
That is true,but the current system is hundred times worst in my eyes, At least back then it was an achievement to play with opm outside Europa. It was fun to win,now every game is the same,every nation have the same tech and more or less the same units. I really feel bored playing the current version. Back then it was fun to play Byz and rule the waves and beating the shit out of kebab. Now you just have to be cheesy and cheap.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I remember waiting for EU:Rome 2 for fucking years, but that was before they turned their games into DLC factories, too little too late. Too bad EU:Rome is pretty flawed game, even with the mods.

I think they really dropped the ball here on making it country rather than character-based.
A character-based game could work, if the character-based gaming is all about growing your family's prestige and power through occupying places in the public administration. Being the Consul for a while would just be another way, one of the strongest ones. Later on, you would be able to do things like Triumvirates (or Duumvirates or Quadrumvirates or whatever) where you and other big leaders of the Republic create unnoficial alliances between your families through marriage and political patronage... all building towards taking supreme power as Princeps/Emperor.

Or alternatively, reform the Republic into something else - say, longer term-limits, increase franchise, etc. Maybe even declare yourself Rex - and then pray to all the Gods that you can eventually make all the Romans accept that Monarchy is p.cool and shit before they murder you, and not actually the root of all evil (romans HATED kings).

Then again, I'm not sure if that could work with the short time frame of the game. I mean, two hundred years? Really?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Character games endup event spamy like CK2,that game is unplayable because of its endless pointless events. Also country based games sell better.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hope they implement the mission system of EU4,it is by far the best part of the game. Doing the Byz mission is really fun.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I wished so much for Paradox to make Rome II because it's one of my favourite eras by far but now I have seen more then enough evidence of declinery, nonsensery and swedishery that it's time for us to fix an old saying:

Be careful what you wish for lest nu-Paradox makes your wish come true. And fat, decadent, transgender, black Swedish fairy grants only one wish cause it knows your second one would have been undo

Why, oh why did Rise of Rome had to be made during the Fall of Paradox? O tempora, o mores, o Suecus cuculus!

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wished so much for Paradox to make Rome II because it's one of my favourite eras by far but now I have seen more then enough evidence of declinery, nonsensery and swedishery that it's time for us to fix an old saying:

Be careful what you wish for lest nu-Paradox makes your wish come true. And fat, decadent, transgender, black Swedish fairy grants only one wish cause it knows your second one would have been undo

Why, oh why did Rise of Rome had to be made during the Fall of Paradox? O tempora, o mores, o Suecus cuculus!
Still going to buy it

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Still going to buy it

:dealwithit:
Who knows maybe after gorillion DLCs and enough patches that they run out of Roman emperors to name them after, game will start to shape up into something actually almost good like Stellaris is right now or rather will might be

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

"Barbarian" traditions? Are this people fucking serious? This is more like the Civilization games than a traditional Paradox game.

Deal with it, northern snowman. Not everyone gets to be civilized. *eats handful of garum followed by a pint of olive oil*

:positive:

Garum is a sauce, you pleb, you do not eat it in handfuls. You would not drink olive oil, and definitely not in in pints. Ever heard of sextarii?

Barbarian.

Hi everyone and welcome to the fifteenth development diary for Imperator. This time it is about a feature that does not correspond to anything we’ve had in the original Rome, which is our new Military Traditions system.

There are seven different military traditions in the world, tied to which culture-group you have, and due to the size of the traditions and how they are structured you will see rather different and unique nations.

Military Traditions unlocks unique abilities, unlocks new units and give special bonuses to units.

Each Military Tradition has one bonus they get from the start, and then three different paths they can go down through, where after you have picked the seventh tradition in that path, you’ll get the a special benefit for that as well.

It is not very likely you will get to the end of all paths by the end of the game, so you really have to think about which path you want to progress down through first. One military tradition currently costs 800 military power, and each tradition taken increases the cost by 50%, and each military technology level reduces it by 25%.

Today we’ll take a look at the Barbarian military tradition, which is used most cultures in north-western Europe.

They all start with the bonus to unlock Chariots as a unit. Chariots are relatively cheap, and faster than infantry, and utterly destroys light infantry on the battlefield.

The first path of the Barbarian Traditions is the Britannic Path.
  • Scythed Chariots: +15%Chariots Offensive
  • Coming of Age +15% Light Infantry Defensive
  • Living off the Land -15% Land Unit Attrition
  • Word of Mouth +25% Manpower Recovery
  • Chariot Mastery +15% Chariots Morale
  • Selective Breeding -25% Light Cavalry Cost
  • Take up Arms +15% Archers Morale
End bonus for this path is ‘Trained Cavalry’ which gives +15% Discipline to both Light Cavalry and Chariots.

The second path of the Barbarian Traditions is the Germanic Path.
  • Strike and Withdraw +15% Light Infantry Morale
  • Natural Resources -25% Light Cavalry & Chariots Cost
  • Ambush +25% Combat Bonus for Light Infantry in Forest
  • The Glory of the Hunt Allows ‘Raiding’
  • Shield Wall +15% Heavy Infantry Defensive
  • The Young Must Serve -25% Light Infantry Cost
  • Hail of Stones +15% Archers Defensive
End bonus for this path is ‘Adaptability’, which gives +15% Discipline to Light Infantry.

The third path of the Barbarian Traditions is the Gallic Path.
  • Strike From Afar +15% Archers Offensive
  • Confederations +15% Global Manpower
  • The Plains Fight With us +15% Combat Bonus for Light Infantry & Chariots on Plains
  • In Defense of our Home Allows ‘Levies’
  • A People on the Move 25% quicker Unit Recruitment
  • Strong Arm +15% Heavy Infantry Offensive
  • Scale the Walls! +15% Siege Ability
End bonus for this path is ‘Blow the Trumpet, in the New Moon!’, which gives +10% Land Morale.

index.php

Next week we’ll be looking into where all roads lead.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Character games endup event spamy like CK2,that game is unplayable because of its endless pointless events. Also country based games sell better.
Considering how much DLCs CK2 is getting and how much it sells it seems that character based games can sell well enough too.
And such games being event spamy can be fixed quite easily by simply not spamming the gameplay with too many irrelevant events.
I don't know how it works today but I played CK2 a few years ago it was an enjoyable experience. It certainly can be done and for a Roman era game and it makes sense to make it character based. Even EU timeframe would benefit from being character based but that's another story.

Just in case someone missed it.

http://historiarealis.com/

HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT FROM IMPERATOR: ROME?

I started Historia Realis a few months before Paradox announced Imperator: Rome. I thought about giving up, but it turned out that my vision for a historical game in Rome was very different from Paradox's and a lot of people had interest in it. Even Johan, the director of Imperator, said that I shouldn't give up on my game. Below you can find a comparison of the main differences between my game and Paradox's.

IMPERATOR

You play as a nation like EU4.

1 Consul in Rome for "gameplay reasons".

Many nations are playable.

Wars, conquest and expansion are the focus.

You interact with the map, trying to paint provinces your color. Characters are mostly passive.

Ahistorical 5 factions: Religious, Military, Mercantile, Civic, Populist.

HISTORIA REALIS

You play as a character and his dynasty like in CK2.

2 Consuls, as it was in Rome.

Only Roman characters are playable, allowing the game to focus on roman systems instead of one-size-fits-all systems.

Politics, internal struggle and power disputes inside Rome are the focus.

You interact with a timeline of events, with all characters trying to get what they want by creating and joining events.

Historical patronage system of political organization: the clientela.

Interesting, I certainly like the idea. It will never get done or will suck hard but the idea is good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Considering how much DLCs CK2 is getting and how much it sells it seems that character based games can sell well enough too.
And such games being event spamy can be fixed quite easily by simply not spamming the gameplay with too many irrelevant events.
I don't know how it works today but I played CK2 a few years ago it was an enjoyable experience. It certainly can be done and for a Roman era game and it makes sense to make it character based. Even EU timeframe would benefit from being character based but that's another story.
I agree with you,the only problem is that we are talking about paradox. You can't expect for them to be reasonable and don't go full retard. Just look at the latest patch for EU4,most people that don't know how to mode the files find it unplayable. Also CK2 is terrible event spam now,a few years ago it was really fun. Now it just spams you with pointless events every few seconds. It is incredibly annoying.

Hello everyone and welcome to the 16th development diary for Imperator! This time we’ll look at a few smaller things.

First of all, we have the road building ability, which is unlocked in the Latin Military Traditions, by the 4th tradition in the Roman path.

Any army with that tradition and at least 5 cohorts will be able to start building a road towards another city. The movement will be delayed to 20% of normal speed, and the morale is severely reduced as well. When the army reaches the next city, a permanent road is created, giving a movement speed boost of 50% between those two cities.

index.php

All road are drawn on the map, adding bridges as they cross rivers.

index.php

Secondly, how unrest works have completely changed from Rome1. Unrest no longer impacts a risk of a rebel unit spawning. Infact, there is no such thing s a rebel unit in Imperator. Unrest instead impact the loyalty of the province, which in the end may cause a Civil War or an Independence War.

index.php

This will make large rebellions more interesting, and remove the disbalance where Rebel units always have larger numbers than real armies in our other games.

Thirdly, each nation will have a civilization level, which depends on their type of government and technology levels. Each city will slowly increase to that cap, or decay if above it. So civilizing barbarian frontiers is a long-term process.

index.php

Next week we’ll go deeply into the characters!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom