Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition Released

Electryon

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin 2 suffered withering criticisms on our forum, but it was still our GOTY in 2017. A year later though, it doesn't seem like very many people care about it anymore. Actually, the Codex seems to be in a state of apathy in general these days. The era of Divinities and Eternities is over, I think. It's time for something new.

Possibly because the vast majority of the Codex is a group of mouth-breathers who post on an RPG forum who hate 95% of all the games the genre has ever produced.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
95% of the Codex posts about things they hate because this is a website that is more about venting over the things you hate than gushing over the things you love, if people like things they typically talk about them somewhere else.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm border line thinking it's some inside joke/meme to trash it with one liners just to see who will crack under peer pressure.

Ladonna

Arcane
I was secretly hoping that shield nonsense might have been replaced with something resembling the original.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
95% of the Codex posts about things they hate because this is a website that is more about venting over the things you hate than gushing over the things you love, if people like things they typically talk about them somewhere else.
You clearly haven't read the Alpha Protocol, Underrail or Age of Decadence threads.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
soyian.jpg

smileyninja

Educated
The era of Divinities and Eternities is over, I think. It's time for something new.

Yes, time for a new nostalgia fad.

We got our Dungeon Master revival (Grimrock), spamload of Baldur's Gate-likes, we're still getting the proper Wiz 7 revival (should be ready next Thursday I hear). Now someone plz bring back Betrayal at Krondor - a 3D world with isometric battles. I've been waiting for this my whole adult life.

What's the Wizardry 7 revival?

Mark Richard

Arcane
Got to commend D:OS1 & 2 for doing something fresh with the genre rather than trying to imitate RPGS made 20 years ago. They took us to exciting or horrifying new places, depending on who you ask.

Multihog

Barely Literate
I took a gander at it, and it is as I feared: dumbed down for consoles.

They've added stuff such as quest markers that track NPCs in real-time, step-by-step checklists that spoon-feed the player information instead of a proper journal, etc. Hah, "Definitive Edition", more like "We-No-Longer-Care-About-Making-An-Immersive-CRPG-And-Rather-Pander-To-The-Console-Crowd Edition". If this is any indicator, then we probably shouldn't expect another proper CRPG from Larian.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I took a gander at it, and it is as I feared: dumbed down for consoles.

They've added stuff such as quest markers that track NPCs in real-time, step-by-step checklists that spoon-feed the player information instead of a proper journal, etc. Hah, "Definitive Edition", more like "We-No-Longer-Care-About-Making-An-Immersive-CRPG-And-Rather-Pander-To-The-Console-Crowd Edition". If this is any indicator, then we probably shouldn't expect another proper CRPG from Larian.
They went down the same route in D:OS Decline Edition by adding quest markers.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Is someone on this site now able to answer if the EE version has addressed the huge jump in power for single item levels? Is it like a real rpg now or is it still retarded and geared towards the type of child and general gamer belonging to the same category?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is someone on this site now able to answer if the EE version has addressed the huge jump in power for single item levels? Is it like a real rpg now or is it still retarded and geared towards the type of child and general gamer belonging to the same category?

It's abit better, but still not great at all. Itemization remains one of the Swen's achilles heels. The mini-game UI clutter of all the little shit items you pick up, the atrocious crafting game, the retarded loot pinata, nothing of that has changed, but yea, the items stay relevant abit longer, but it doesnt matter really.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
the atrocious crafting game

That's one of the big improvements in part 2 over 1 in my opinion. Crafting was the way to get the best gear and a constant source of being OP in 1. I didn't get all that far into 2 but it seemed like crafting wasn't game breaking overpowered like in 1. They don't even have crafting skills. Or didn't. They didn't change that, did they?

My only major gripe from what I played was the huge jumps in power between just a single gear level. If that was addressed like you said I'll have to give it another try. I'd rather hold off until there is a mod like the one I talk about for DOS 1 EE, Epic Overhaul? But I was impressed with the combat on tactician - enough that I think if the Epic Overhaul people did their magic improving the rpg systems and chardev, along with toughening up even the regular combat, it will be a really good game.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom