Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reduce shitposts- hide post count

Big Wrangle

How is hiding post count gonna stop shitposters from memeing anyway.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How is hiding post count gonna stop shitposters from memeing anyway.

That's the thing; it doesn't stop them doing anything. If the post counter was removed from the forums, no-ones life would be any worse off in any measurable way. We lose a completely useless number next to our name and can carry on exactly as before.

So why the angst in this thread then? From the responses and the button spam, you would think I'd have advocated getting rid of the ability to insert pictures in posts, or display avatars. The angst is because (some) people see post count as something that gives them validation and increasing it is an aim in itself. As Lahey said, it's about quality rather than quantity. Remove post count and you're free to still post whatever you want, you just don't get a counter going up anymore. If that causes you anxiety, you just proved my point.

There's definitely room for other options. Hiding post count for just people with various tags, for instance. I'm not claiming it to be 'the Final solution' (although perhaps that would be better received on this forum), but the responses show I've hit a nerve.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
*insert shitpost here*
sign.png

P. S. Hiding post count is ridiculous and stupid, the only way to stop shitposting - stop logging in and get a life
Crying_Troll2.png

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
but the responses show I've hit a nerve.
It hits a nerve because you look really out of touch with the current posting trends, 2011 member with sub-1000 post count.

What haba said. Seriously, having a high post count before you even pass the 1 year mark gets you suspicious looks these days, if you didn't know already.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
some people see post count as something that gives them validation and increasing it is an aim in itself. As Lahey said, it's about quality rather than quantity. Remove post count and you're free to still post whatever you want, you just don't get a counter going up anymore.
What a curious misreading. You issued a challenge which I accepted.

I challenge anyone to make a case for post count being anything other than an encouragement to shitpost.
I look at fantadomat's 19 posts/day average over the past 15 months and take comfort in quality over quantity.
To be clear, without the counter I wouldn't be able to measure how much more frequently he posts, which itself discourages my rate of (shit)posting. I expect a reply, good sir.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
some people see post count as something that gives them validation and increasing it is an aim in itself. As Lahey said, it's about quality rather than quantity. Remove post count and you're free to still post whatever you want, you just don't get a counter going up anymore.
What a curious misreading. You issued a challenge which I accepted.

I challenge anyone to make a case for post count being anything other than an encouragement to shitpost.
I look at fantadomat's 19 posts/day average over the past 15 months and take comfort in quality over quantity.
To be clear, without the counter I wouldn't be able to measure how much more frequently he posts, which itself discourages my rate of (shit)posting. I expect a reply, good sir.

So your argument is that the counter actually reduces your personal rate of shitposting because you don't want to post as much as fanta? Bizarre, but ok.

I'm done with this thread now, I think it's had enough visibility to provide food for thought and I can't be arsed with going round in circles. Maybe I'll just start using the /ignore function, it'd clean up a lot of threads even if I'd feel somehow a bit... cowardly. But that threads already been done!

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Itt a recently-activated sleeper alt is trying to trick the Codex into hiding the fact that it is a recently-activated sleeper alt.

Norfleet

....wait, there's a post count? I thought the only thing we had was a parrot count, and that can't be an actual post count because some people have millions, which would be physically impossible.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
....wait, there's a post count? I thought the only thing we had was a parrot count, and that can't be an actual post count because some people have millions, which would be physically impossible.

That must have been DU's less nuclear option. Make the post count so high it becomes meaningless. New proposal- give every user a random number of parrots between 50000 and 100000! Genius!
:balance:

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

That must have been DU's less nuclear option. Make the post count so high it becomes meaningless. New proposal- give every user a random number of parrots between 50000 and 100000! Genius!
:balance:
Parrots: 528

What have you been doing all these years?

Bohr

Arcane
At one point names, avatars and post counts were all removed at the same time. Unfortunately it led to a steep increase in shitposting activity, confounding sociologists.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
At one point names, avatars and post counts were all removed at the same time. Unfortunately it led to a steep increase in shitposting activity, confounding sociologists.
Oh, the explanation is quite simple, actually.

"I can't fap to my post count. Or my avatar. Or my cool name. Welp, I can always shitpost I guess."

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Oh, the explanation is quite simple, actually.

"I can't fap to my post count. Or my avatar. Or my cool name. Welp, I can always shitpost I guess."

Actually it's called an extinction burst. Quite predictable and totally expected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom