Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
The age old question of "What is an RPG?" has finally been settled.
They're box moving simulators.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UI lead:

14249cdd1498b735c56385c34a7810647277e6a5.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/2273035

Owlcats in Cologne - Our Gamescom Impressions
Posted by Berserkerkitten

Dear Pathfinders!

Did you know we had a booth at this year's Gamescom? While our studio head Oleg and our creative director Alexander were busy showing our game to the press, I was at our booth every day to meet the community, talk to the fans and help curious testers through the prologue of Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

57bf6fc54f223e2c8736856b52d480b1_original.jpg

Cologne Cathedral

Cologne is fun! I was born in Germany, but I haven't been there in nearly a decade and I've never been to Cologne at all. I went to the cathedral, which is as stunning as it is creepy. I also walked across the Hohenzollernbrücke. This bridge has been decorated with countless padlocks, left there by couples as a symbol of their love. They write their names and a date on the lock, then toss the key into the river Rhine.

dcaf7ae2d52de962ce4f197eea4899a3_original.jpg

Our booth

Gamescom was intense, to say the least! Our humble little booth offered space for ten testers. It was nice and cozy and we figured it'd be more than adequate, seeing as isometric CRPGs aren't exactly mainstream material. Yeah, about that...

Our ten seats were filled in minutes, then people were starting to queue up to get their chance to play. We gave everyone 30 minutes, which should be just enough time to create a character and experience the prologue, but after a while the queue got so big that we had to trim down play time to 20 minutes. That's a bit cruel, because it really isn't a lot of time to get into a game of this kind, but such is the nature of Gamescom.

b5ccb80dc182b0acbb5fd34f065d60cb_original.jpg

Look at all these people!

That was on Tuesday, where only press and exhibitors were allowed in. By Wednesday our queue got so big, we had to ask some people to come back later. I shook hands with quite a few Kickstarter backers and it was really great to meet them in person. Two testers showed up in full armor! They had layers of leather, fur, chain mail and metal plates. It was an incredibly warm and humid day, the halls were packed with hot and sweaty people, but by some miracle, these hunky knights didn't seem bothered by their gear at all. One of them told me they're firemen, so they're used to heat and heavy gear. We chatted for quite some time and he bravely spoke to me in English the entire time, so I humored him and responded in English, as well. I didn't have the heart to tell him he could have talked to me in German.

f52f4bec89c48421c6b5e652fd479dba_original.jpg

You will never be this hardcore

One day this young lady in a Diablo shirt showed up. She didn't start with the prologue, but loaded a savegame we offered to testers, who wanted to see the game from a little further in. She battled her way through Trobold, quietly chuckling to herself each time she exploded a bunch of monsters into a shower of bloody chunks with powerful spells. She absolutely destroyed everything, kept highlighting for interactive items and hidden loot, disabled traps and bravely fought all the way to the big showdown at the end of the dungeon. I was in absolute awe at how insanely skilled she was! I have watched lots of people play our game at Gamescom and during our focus testing stage, but never like this. She was in a completely different league. Years of practice in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, she told me. I salute you, brave Pathfinder! Watching you play was an incredible sight to behold!

60e680a92f1a90eefd8ca7e01531e158_original.jpg

People came from distant worlds

I made lots of new friends during my week in Cologne. There were Basti and Fabi, who only wanted to take a quick look at our game, then stayed to chat for over two hours. They fed me Pringles and gummy bears. Our armored fireman came back with a present - he gave me a d20 as a thank you for the fun time we had at the booth. I'll be sure to use it the next time I play tabletop Pathfinder. And then the good folks of the Insert Moin Podcast gave us their 120% badge. If you understand German and you enjoy gaming podcasts, be sure to check them out! Thank all of you so, so much for taking the time to check us out, for your kind words and your generous gifts. You made Gamescom absolutely unforgettable.

49c621656dfe8af809089cfeaa07a9c6_original.jpg

Make kings, not Warcraft

Of course I couldn't go to Gamescom without checking out a few games and meeting a few people, myself. I saw the incredible Chris Huelsbeck at the Factor 5 booth, spotted the slugs from Prepare to Try, beat the asylum demon in the Switch port of Dark Souls and wiped the floor with three random strangers in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I spent my last night in Cologne stuffing my face with all the German snacks and treats I've been missing for all these years, because I can't get them in the UK. I made myself very, very sick. Totally worth it!

c7009e8d553dcb7fb49ea5446b4f5a54_original.jpg

I'm a pig, but I regret nothing.

I had an incredible week in Cologne. But there's no time to rest - I'm already packing for my trip to Seattle. Next stop: PAX West! I can't wait to meet more of you guys. Bring snacks!

Hail to the Kings!

Berserkerkitten
Community Manager
Owlcat Games

e94639ac9cc5d71687fc3070884fa252_original.png

agris

Arcane
Patron
Oleg Shpilchevsky said:
Interviewer: Finally, what's your favourite feature of Pathfinder: Kingermaker?

Oleg: Romances. It's the most emotionally involving connection the avatar may have with other game characters. To be honest there was a risk that we wouldn't have time to implement romances. But the idea of losing this feature was so frustrating that we made an extra effort to keep romances alive - to have a say "I can't live without" to a beloved companion.

:flamesaw:

XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg
XouTyG4.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This will also be at PAX West: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...ngmaker_Playable_at_PAX_West_this_Weekend.php

Isometric RPG Pathfinder: Kingmaker Playable at PAX West this Weekend

Larkspur, Calif. - Aug. 28, 2018 - Owlcat Games and Deep Silver proudly announce that the highly anticipated isometric RPG, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, will be playable on the PAX West show floor ahead of its Sept. 25 release on PC.

Adventurous PAX West attendees will experience an engrossing adventure brimming with choices and consequences as they tactfully navigate battles and befriend powerful allies. Pathfinder: Kingmaker will host hands-on demos in Booth #1901 on the fourth floor of the Washington State Convention Center’s main hall.

More information about Pathfinder Kingmaker can be found at:

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/640820/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/

GOG.com: https://af.gog.com/game/pathfinder_kingmaker_explorer_edition?as=1649904300

Pathfinder: Kingmaker will take players on a tour through the infamous Stolen Lands, the dangerous and turbulent territories well known within Pathfinder fandom. The story will revisit familiar characters and well-known locations of the series’ lore while also treating players to brand new adventures, deadly foes and unforeseen twists and turns. Fans of the original Pathfinder tabletop RPG will experience its epic, heroic universe in an entirely new way with Pathfinder: Kingmaker, while video game fans will discover their favorite genre in a more contemporary light with lush 3D graphics that bring the universe to life.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker will challenge a player’s aptitude as both an adventurer and ruler, as they will be able to claim explored lands and carve their own kingdom from the wilderness. Kingdom founding will go beyond simple stronghold-building to become a true reflection of the hero’s character and choices made throughout the game. Each kingdom will be a living thing shaped by alignment, choices, allies and the hero’s ability to lead his or her people.

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2018/08/28/of-kings-and-countries

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Of Kings And Countries

The importance of a good leader for a kingdom can’t be understated, but fortunately your new kingdom has you to guide it.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is an adaptation of the pen-and-paper RPG of the same name, putting players into the Pathfinder universe in the form of an isometric RPG. Kingmaker, of course, focuses on the Kingmaker campaign and puts building a kingdom at the center of a massive RPG story. The intention from developer Owlcat Games is to bring the table experience of the game, which they played themselves for hours on end, to a full 80-hour RPG.

Kingmaker was built around three core concepts: being true to Pathfinder, giving the player an interesting story, and letting them build their own kingdoms. The developers told us that it was extremely important to give players the chance to succeed and fail on their own merits while telling a compelling tale along the way. Players are going to understand how heavy the head that wears the crown really can be.

As the title says, the game centers around the trials and victories of running a kingdom. Kingmaker is unique in that how you run your kingdom comes down to your decisions. You can be as hands-on as you want to be as a leader, micromanaging the economy, taking on every problem that comes your way, expanding territory, run a 25-hour day being a leader. You can also just let a council take care of the minutiae of running a kingdom while you adventure out and slay monsters or kill bandits.

You can jump in and out of the decision-making as you see fit. Sometimes you just want to take a break from the sword of Damocles dangling above your head and go on some quests, sometimes you are tired of questing and want to take control back from your council.

As you continue your adventure, you gradually pick up the 11 companions that join you on your journey, who also join you in running the kingdom. Missions come in that are not necessarily for a king to handle and just require someone to go lay down the law, allowing you to send your companions to take care of things. Sending the right person for the right job is important, meaning a good leader has to delegate correctly.

It might not always be a good idea to pass off decisions, though. In one quest, you are given the option to increase your military spending in terms of research and development. Eventually, a potion is happened upon that vastly increases your military strength at the cost of making your soldiers mindless zombies filled with bloodlust temporarily. I wasn’t told what the consequences of this quest were, but I am going to guess that the zombie path isn’t going to end well.

Since the Kingmaker campaign was a pen & paper RPG, it had short descriptions for a lot of things that the developers including writer Chris Avellone expanded upon for the game. One example they gave was a tower along the path which had a single paragraph in the source material. When working up the documents for the game, Owlcat expanded that paragraph to several pages.

Your kingdom starts small, but you start expanding through quests, story progression, and military action. A larger kingdom means more responsibilities, but it also means more opportunities for quests and adventures, as well. While I didn't get a chance to go hands-on with the game, the developers guided me though a number of quests and mechanics and I'm excited to see more.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker was Kickstarted just over a year ago and is releasing on September 25 on PC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Oleg Shpilchevsky said:
Interviewer: Finally, what's your favourite feature of Pathfinder: Kingermaker?

Oleg: Romances. It's the most emotionally involving connection the avatar may have with other game characters.

No. Learning of Zerthimon and your fucked up history with Daakon, slowly growing to know Gorath and Owyn in BaK, Dupre's sacrifice after so many adventures, these were just as (if not more) involved as any romance bollocks. This attitude really limits character depth and approach if you ask me.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The most emotionally involved connection my character could have with the world is putting the square peg in the square hole.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Can’t wait to force attack the companion who gives me the first unsolicited invitation to have gay sex with them.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
As czech speaking english Mishulin name is hilarious to me. its sound like combination My sulin which would be my penis.

I know its immature but i juts cant help myself. Hopefully the Dickward Squarepocket Does some great art.

Can’t wait to force attack the companion who gives me the first unsolicited invitation to have gay sex with them.

*UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ABOUT ISRAEL*

Seriously Throught As 1997 i grew up on Jade Empire, First mass effect and Kotors. I was never able to quite get into BG i remember getting Into Underdark and out in BG2 but i just havent got it in me. This honestly seems like it would be perfect for me

Thonius

Arcane
I'm hyped for this shit for no reasons. I mean not a single game lived up for hype, but I can't stop. And also I'm almost sure it will be bugged on release and eh those DLC's.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think you get access to some kind of PoE Adventurer's Hall type thing after the prologue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom