Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
system requirements will be exactly the same as the ones for any game released in the last 3 years or so... don't know why people even ask about things like this.

EDIT: BY THE WAY apparently they added a completely new post-game dungeon only accessible in the new Hard mode!

EDIT 2x:
dq11.png

EDIT 3x:

They also added a passive first-person view for western release (you can't move only look), and more importantly: they added a sprint move when on-foot (previously you could only sprint when on horseback).

Looks like japs really did play the beta version.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm surprised this hasn't been more widely reported:
In 2015, Sugiyama made an appearance on the Japanese Culture Channel Sakura television program Hi Izuru Kuni Yori in which he was shown agreeing with views shared by Japanese politician Mio Sugita that claimed there was no need for LGBTeducation in schools, as well as dismissing concerns about high suicide rates among the community. Sugiyama added that the lack of children born from homosexual couples was an important topic to discuss, also suggesting that Japan was more empowering to women than South Korea.[18][19]

Apparently Squeenix has put Sugiyama on the backburner (not officially fired) because of SJW demands for apologies because of this.

EDIT:

This just got real: apparently because Squeenix forced Sugiyama to apologize for his "views" (i.e. being normal), out of spite he refused to let Squeenix utilize orchestral renditions of his score for DQ11, so Squeenix was forced to use MIDI. (Sugiyama owns the rights to all of his music, not Squeenix).

This is also the same reason why the 3DS remake of DQ8 uses a MIDI OST instead of the orchestral one from the PS2 version.

Personally I don't give af, but there you go.

Vorark

Erudite
Who fucking cares about his personal views, all that should matter for a videogame is his skill as a composer. People should learn to separete an author from his work.

Whatever, there are versions of DQ VII and VIII 3DS floating around with the orchestra patched back in. Hopefully DQXI will get the same treatment.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This just got real: apparently because Squeenix forced Sugiyama to apologize for his "views" (i.e. being normal), out of spite he refused to let Squeenix utilize orchestral renditions of his score for DQ11, so Squeenix was forced to use MIDI. (Sugiyama owns the rights to all of his music, not Squeenix).

Bullshit. DQ11 was going to use MIDI long before these shenanigans happened. Dragon Quest ALWAYS used MIDI. DQ8 PS2 release (IN THE WEST) didn't use MIDI, and this made Sugiyama angry. If anything with Sugiyama out of the way this means that future Dragon Quest games probably will have orchestrated music. Sugiyama insisted on MIDI quality because he claimed that it was "authentic" for the DQ experience, but in reality he probably just wanted to sell his CDs which had live orchestras play the DQ soundtracks.

Fred

Learned
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is out on steam, I can't wait for DQ XI english PC release now.

Fred

Learned
25% off right now at GreenManGaming

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/dragon-quest-xi-pc/

I'm tempted to buy, but still no info on PC port quality ;/
I'm just speculating, but the DQ Heroes ports are very good and made with the same engine afaik (Unreal Engine). So it's just a guess but it should be fine (but I'd say don't pre-purchase any game by principle, if you want a cheap key you'll find one even after release)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i just made the mistake of reading the kotaku review and wow, i know kotaku's writing is bad but this shit is on another level!

If you’re like me (according to my mom, you’re probably not) if you’re like me, you’ll keep a notebook open on your lap in an attempt to extrapolate formulas for how zones work.

Dragon Quest has always overflowed with palpable masterclassy person-to-person world-building.

I mean, when I say “you” can avoid battles, by “you” I mean “literally anybody.” Even the most infantile of game-touchers can avoid 100% of battle encounters in the fields and dungeons of Dragon Quest XI.

Let me just stop for a second and say I love Sylvando. His intro chapter devotes several hours to his totally queer-eyeing the toxic masculinity right clean out of this cowardly prince of a horse-worshipping desert kingdom.

Ask anyone’s dog and they’ll tell you Chrono Trigger is the Best RPG Ever. Sure, Chrono Trigger is great, and okay, sure, maybe it IS the Best RPG Ever.

I’ve been in the same room as a toddler watching Teen Titans Go on an iPad, and this game has me flashbacking pretty hard at times

With the Japanese version, someone stepping into my living room would be like, “Wow, do you read Japanese?” And I’d be like, “What? Oh, you must be referring to The Superior Nihongo.”

With Dragon Quest XI in English, they’re like, “lol what is this?”

And I’m like, oh no. Am I...am I a child? I’m 39 years old. 39 divided by 3 is 13. Am I three 13-year-olds in a trenchcoat? Do I even own a trenchcoat? (I don’t own a trenchcoat.)

In conclusion, everything I have said about Dragon Quest XI being one of the best games of all time is definitely correct, because I played the game in Japanese for 300 hours.

the review is like a really long blog post from a 14yo on geocities. it's mind-boggling how bad of a review it is in its structure and formatting and presentation of information, and of course the kiddies in the comments are lapping it all up.

Adon

Arcane
I'd love to know what kind of vetting process exists in Kotaku when it comes to hiring new writers. I've read stream of consciousness reviews that make more sense and aren't as embarrassing to read.

Deleted member 7219

The composer saying MIDI music suits Dragon Quest better is a fucking cop out. Why did they bother upgrading the graphics then? They could have kept them the same as PS2 era, as that could be argued as suiting Dragon Quest better too. After all, the PS2 Dragon Quest games were massively popular.

I am still interested in this from an aesthetic view point. Turn-based combat is always a plus for me in JRPGs (the Japanese do turn-based so well), but those visuals - wow. I'm not a big fan of their Dragonball Z-esque take on anime, in terms of the character design, but it is bright, colourful, and the UI is sharp and doesn't look like an afterthought.

I'll read a few more reviews, and hopefully pick it up on Steam for a discount once the orchestral soundtrack has been modded into the game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
They did leave the graphics as 8-bit as an optional graphical mode in the 3DS version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom