Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Aim1ess

Novice
Looked fantastic in terms of attention to detail and general atmosphere. The integration of things into your vision feels more like what I wanted out of the newer Deus Ex games. Guns appear to be using the system I hoped they would where guns have a rarity based on model rather than just leveled guns. The dialogue system is really where the "RPG" is going to be here, though, and we didn't see any paths taken twice to see alternate outcomes. Because it felt very streamlined narratively I have an extreme doubt that all the options will play out that smoothly or be as supported. Also didn't really get a feel for how open the world is or how side quests would be integrated. Armor certainly seems very simplified. Weapons seems relatively simplified. I think it will kinda feel like a much improved Deus Ex/Mass Effect with more C&C and much more varied combat. Kind of looks like you have even less speech options than F4, though haha. Speech definitely had some high and low points, more low than high. Overall I'm ever so slightly less excited but it does look superb and I'm still definitely going to grab it. Theres little chance the final game will look like this though, maybe after a couple years and a bunch of mods.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
1337 times to be sure.

The ripper doc scene confirms there's a humanity cost. Not the same as cyberpsychosis, but at least there is some malus for stuffing your meat sack with robotics.

Kwota

Augur
For all the selffellating narration about Cyberpunk being an RPG the whole trailer really lacked any information about how does the points in chargen influence the gameplay, ditto for all the pickups beside the drugs.

All i'm sayin' as a trailer for an action game is okay, but for an RPG... meh.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think the city looked much better here than in the trailers. Even during the daytime it seemed pretty bleak overall, full of dark areas hidden from sunlight, which creates a nice contrast. Other things I liked were some of the weapons and abilities, staying in first-person for almost the whole time even during dialogue, dismemberment, and tits. I'd like to see character skill have a notable effect on how combat plays out (complain about Deus Ex' combat as much as you want to, but it got it right), but I'm willing to settle for less, and it didn't look terrible.

Didn't like the moderntard stuff. I don't care if you're making a cyberpunk game, some of the clutter on the screen is disgusting. By all means, go ahead and introduce eye implants and whatever you can think of, but you do not need a floating marker to tell you where the fucking exit door is. I know it's the norm, but I will never let it go. The same goes for having to guess what your character actually says when you pick a dialogue option, even if there might be some justification for it if it's all real-time and you need to make decisions fast. The dialogue did indeed sound pretty generic overall, and it didn't flow nearly as well as you'd expect from CDPR, with many lines sounding a bit off in some way. I'm not all that convinced about the RPG mechanics or the itemization (that jacket), but I'll reserve judgment for now. The song that plays in your apartment sucks.

An autoaiming gun? D E C L I N E
Those have been around in shooters since the 90's, though. Looked like a mix of Half-Life's hive-hand and AvP's smartgun.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I made it about six minutes into the video. All of the excitement I had for this game is gone.

A cover shooter RPG with bulletsponge enemies who bleed numbers when you shoot them and character control constantly being grabbed away.

Shooter-wise this is probably worse than syndicate. Story-wise... meh, I'm past forgiving a game for shit core gameplay because the "story" is half-decent.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hidden message in video: https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-video/

You can finally watch the full Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay demo
Watch the whole thing, all 48 minutes, right here.

The lengthy Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay demo that CD Projekt Red showed at E3 and Gamescom is now public, and you can watch all 48 minutes of it above.

The demo shows off Cyberpunk's first-person shooter combat, including destructible environments, roaming around city streets alive with tons of city streets, visiting ripperdocs to update your cyberware, and lots of dialogue. The whole thing is narrated documentary style, offering insight about the world and how the game will play.

The demo doesn't exactly depict how Cyberpunk 2077 will look or feel to play yourself—it moves at a slow pace, deliberately taking in the environment and moving the camera slowly to make for easy viewing. But it makes for a very, very thorough introduction to the RPG.

Update: "Since many of the assets and mechanics in the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 are most likely to be modified, we initially decided to show this gameplay only to media. Elements like gunplay (both in terms of visuals and how RPG stats influence it), netrunning, car physics, or the game’s UI — everything’s pretty much still in the playtest phase and we felt uneasy about publicly committing to any particular design," game director Adam Badowski said, explaining CD Projekt's initial reluctance to release the gameplay video to the public. "Animation glitches, work-in-progress character facial expressions, early versions of locations—all this made us hesitant to release what you’re about to see."

"However, we are also well aware that many of you want to see what the media saw. Although this is probably not the same game you’ll see on your screen when we launch, we still decided to share this 48-minute video with you. This is how Cyberpunk 2077 looks today. Let us know what you think!"

Update 2: A single frame at the very end of the Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay reveal trailer contains a secret message from CD Projekt Red, echoing Badowski's statement about the studio's hesitation to share the video. As transcribed by Fixer on Reddit, it says:

Sorry to have kept you waiting for this for so long!

Did you like what you saw? Because for us, the fact that we're finally showing you Cyberpunk 2077 is HUGE. Please go to our forums, Twitter, Facebook, Discord, and do tell what you think. Is the game world how you imagined? Do you see what we meant by 'immersion' when we talked about CP2077 being an FPP RPG? How does our vision of 'cyberpunk by day' make you feel? We really want to know.

Aside from that, we think we owe you a few words of explanation on why we're showing you this gameplay now, some time after industry professionals and media saw it at E3 and Gamescom.

Each time we discussed the idea of showing the game to you (and we discussed this idea a lot), we were ending up in this 'we're not 100% sure' limbo. Why? Because (for most people), when a game dev shows gameplay footage from their game, it means that this is how the game is going to look or play like. It's not the case here. Cyberpunk 2077 is deep in development. We have a lot of design ideas, a lot of mechanics being playtested, but we don't know what we'll end up with at launch. This makes publishing videos like what you just saw risky—we don't want gamers saying 'But in that previous video that gun was shooting differently', or 'Why did you change the interface?' Change is inherent to game development and there's a ton of things being modified each day. Our fear was (and kind of still is) that you'll think what you just saw is how Cyberpunk 2077 will look like 1:1.

What gave us that extra confidence to show you a work in progress game? Good initial feedback from people who are accustomed to see games at various stages of development. What they told us (and they told us they really liked what they saw) gave us the boost we needed to show the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 to the most passionate and insightful audience—you.

So... here's what Cyberpunk 2077 looks like today (or rather looked like when we recorded the video). We sincerely hope you liked it.

Again, thank you for your patience and all the thoughts you shared with us.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED​

This isn't the first time that CD Projekt has stashed a hidden message inside a Cyberpunk 2077 trailer: It did the same thing in early 2013 to promote The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and again earlier this year when it confirmed, among other things, that Cyberpunk will have no microtransactions.

Darkzone

Arcane
An autoaiming gun? D E C L I N E
Those have been around in shooters since the 90's, though. Looked like a mix of Half-Life's hive-hand and AvP's smartgun.
Smart ammunition guns with auto aim go even further back and even in 1984 the idea was in the film "Runaway".
300px-Runawayposter.jpg

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Ok my two cents on this i was waiting to see gameplay of this game from years...

-Nice overall atmosphere and feel they nailed the setting well in this..
-The first person on this game is actually much better than the ordinary hand fetish lover shooters.
-Would be way much better have more dialogues options.
-Character creator based on presets was pretty much underwhelming.
-Total absence of roleplay element skill checks even during dialogues

Cd projekt claim this is and RPG first and Foremost but the demo while looking great felt like a shooter with lite roleplay elements.

Allyriadil

Educated
Bullet sponge enemies, cover mechanics, damage numbers, loot system looks like Diablo.
And holy fuck like half of the game is a fucking cutscene, might as well go pick up a nice movie or book instead.
Then again it's CD Project I didn't like the Witcher too, at least they could have done something nice with this considering the source is pen & paper.

:negative:

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Bullet sponge enemies, cover mechanics, damage numbers, loot system looks like Diablo.
And holy fuck like half of the game is a fucking cutscene, might as well go pick up a nice movie or book instead.
Then again it's CD Project I didn't like the Witcher too, at least they could have done something nice with this considering the source is pen & paper.

:negative:
Witchers were 3/4 cutscenes, cp77 is playing catch up.

Big Wrangle

Gunplay could be fun with all that mobility, but the damage seems to be all over the place. Some enemies went down the way you expect, some sucked a bit too much damage, and the big guy that'd you expect to have the best resistance kinda went down easily. If the AI is more agressive and the damage system becomes more consistent, this could be a good system.
As for mini-cutscenes, it's just a step-up from NPCs standing still and only moving their mouth with describe actions here. Nothing worth being pissed over.
Overall, it's pretty much what I expected.

Big Wrangle

It's a photoshop meme that picked after some edgelord edited the shot to say "kill niggers" in l33t speech, to what I assume spark fake outrage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom