Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hollow Knight

Wunderbar

Arcane
What do you guys think? It warrants a new playthrough with all the added things.
all of these added things are meant to be played in the very late game. You can continue from your last save.

Vagiel

Augur
So no new content in between. That's not a good excuse for replaying it. Anyway we will see, maybe I will wait for that dlc they are talking about.

Ivan

Arcane
Hey guys, I'd love to be playing this but am on SF for a friend's birthday.

Can anyone cover from whether or not there is a new difficulty mode. Something along the lines of a Master Quest for us returning players. I believe this was teased during the development of the dlc.

Okagron

Prophet
The third boss rush is locked behind some bosses and one of them is the boss from Trial of the Fools. And i can't do that because i'm terrible at this game, so i guess i'll now wait for the Hornet DLC.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last played this about a year ago. Have they added anything to get rid of the excess geo?
Just read they added a way to upgrade your fragile charms into unbreakable ones. Costs 36k Geo in total if you want to do all 3, so that's something.

---

Arcane
Meh, pretty disappointed so far by this third DLC. It's basically a sort of Colosseum of Fools made only with bosses, which are often absurdly enhanced (lol, Uumuu was probably the worst boss of the game, and now it's a pain in the ass) compared to the "vanilla" versions you find during the main game, and sometimes are even quite unbalanced.

The worst thing is that it's organized as a sequence of boss rushes: so, to see the new bosses the developers added (such as the nailmasters), you have to beat again and again and again and [...] the same bosses you have already beaten during the story. And there are absolutely no rewards for the amount of patience and time you spend, apart from % completion rate: no new charms (the "glorified charms" feature was eventually cut by the developers), no upgrades, nothing. You do all of this shit... just to unlock a new ending, which is frankly horrible, and doesn't fit at all with the narrative and the mood of the game.

Hollow Knight was at times an hard experience, but with constancy and will you were always able to eventually pass the difficulties. This DLC, instead, is specifically designed for those hardcore gamers who can beat the game blind in less than 30 seconds, and only for them. It was already clear that Team Cherry wanted to satisfy this (very) small amount of players with the Grimm Troupe DLC (the Nightmare Grimm boss and the Path of Pain were challenging as hell), but this time they exaggerated. And I frankly don't know why.

The base game is one of the most intense and exciting titles I've played in years, but no way I'll play this shit. I thank the developers since it's a free DLC, of course, but this isn't really what I was expecting.
I'll wait for the Hornet DLC.

Last edited:

---

Arcane
Hey guys, I'd love to be playing this but am on SF for a friend's birthday.

Can anyone cover from whether or not there is a new difficulty mode. Something along the lines of a Master Quest for us returning players. I believe this was teased during the development of the dlc.
No Master Quest: you'll unlock a new mode, yes, but it's a simple boss rush (called "Godseeker Mode").
It's absolutely pointless, since to unlock this mode.... you have to beat the same boss-rush in the main game, lulz.

Last edited:

Okagron

Prophet
Hollow Knight was at times an hard experience, but with constancy and will you were always able to eventually pass the difficulties. This DLC, instead, is specifically designed for those hardcore gamers who can beat the game blind in less than 30 seconds, and only for them. It was already clear that Team Cherry wanted to satisfy this (very) small amount of players with the Grimm Troupe DLC (the Nightmare Grimm boss and the Path of Pain were challenging as hell), but this time they exaggerated. And I frankly don't know why.
Yeah, i agree that they went a little too far with this DLC. Apparently to reach the new ending you have to beat every boss in the game in a boss rush, culminating with a fight against a stronger version of
The Radiance
This is completely insane to me.

I like that you get to fight the
Hollow Knight in its prime

I'll just wait for the Hornet DLC now.

axx

Savant
Just read they added a way to upgrade your fragile charms into unbreakable ones. Costs 36k Geo in total if you want to do all 3, so that's something.

That's certainly good news. One thing I never used as much as I should were different spells to tackle bosses. Still I managed to fight my way through most of the game (all that's left was the third level of Colosseum and the final boss), but I haven't touched the DLCs yet.
So just out of interest, how many of you use controller or keyboard?

---

Arcane
I used to play with k+m... until I had to fight the Mantis Lords. I use the controller since.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i was duped into getting this by people who said this was supposed to be fun

so i guess the only question i have is

why the hell is this shit so boran
It gets more fun when the game opens up a bit and you unlock more abilities and charms tbh.
So just out of interest, how many of you use controller or keyboard?
Keyboard, never had any issues with it. I hate controllers.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It gets more fun when the game opens up a bit and you unlock more abilities and charms tbh.

i sure freaking hope so because so far i'm just walking left to right pressing x to smash bugs and wondering wtf the whole fuzz is about

For what it's worth I had a similar initial reaction. It takes a while for the game to find its groove. I'd say it really hits its stride around City of Tears. By that time if you're not hooked, it's fair to check out; the game is just not for you. The nice thing though is that on repeat playthroughs you can use all that meta-knowledge to sequence break in a bunch of kooky ways that significantly alter the pacing and playstyles on offer.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

What grabbed me right at the start was the sheer number of locations I had to leave unexplored and remember to go back to later. I love a big, complex map and Hollow Knight delivers.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

i sure freaking hope so because so far i'm just walking left to right pressing x to smash bugs and wondering wtf the whole fuzz is about

Once you've earned the dash, ground smash spell and wall jump, the game becomes a pinata of gaining new useful things all the time which increase your catalogue of things you can do and desire to explore more. Level design becomes more interesting too, and boss fights are almost always enjoyable experiences. Traversing the world also becomes sweeter as you unlock fast travel areas (stagways, tram) and later the ability to set a single custom teleport point you can go back to. Which is a good thing because you will backtrack a lot once you realize how many areas you can gain access to after gaining new abilities.

HK starts really slow and has some pacing issues, but like others said, if you start enjoying the game around the city of tears you are in for a treat.
Protip: practice your downward slash (after jumps) and remember you can infinitely jump off spikes and enemies once you understand the timing.
Also, you can equip more charms than you've got in slots, if you have a single empty slot remaining and repeat the equip action multiple times. The consequence of doing that is that you take twice the amount of damage from enemies, but there are times where this can be genuinely useful.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Lol, I'm getting the weirdest 'bug' now. When starting the game (gog version), I get a pop up window saying there was a critical error and the game will now shut down.

Except the game runs all fine and dandy and I just have to refrain from closing the error message to play as normal.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Roxor you dumb fucking goofy rat, this is one of the very best Metroidvanias in all of human history.

Are you bitching about having to walk in a game AGAIN? Fuck me. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom