Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It doesn't take that long. You just have to get it right on how long you have to wait on each thing. The alchemy is easy, the books writing is retarded and impossible to figure out and the morning prayer I couldn't figure out for the life of me because I never understood how long you have to wait.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Core is still the same, but I think high level enemies just don't die as easy anymore. No idea if combos are still pointless and high lvl enemies will still parry/counterattack all of your attacks.

Maybe I'm just real bad but I haven't been able to perform a single damn combo and gave up on that eventually.

It doesn't take that long. You just have to get it right on how long you have to wait on each thing. The alchemy is easy, the books writing is retarded and impossible to figure out and the morning prayer I couldn't figure out for the life of me because I never understood how long you have to wait.

Is it at least possible to fail to the point of getting thrown out? Or maybe piss them off some other way? Cause that's what I would prefer to do as alternative to reloading earlier save.

*edit* Nevermind, figured that out by myself. Fuck these cucks, I'm gone.

Last edited:

Renevent

Cipher
I haven't been able to perform a single combo either, combat is pretty frustrating overall. High level enemies basically block/parry/dodge every attack. I basically just move alot, try to hit them with a stab, and if it lands spam them. I can block/parry but after when I try to hit back they either block/parry or hit me back first. I've had a bunch of times where I've parried back and fourth 3-4 times and still no openings. Combat is much easier now (40hrs into the game and I have top tier items) but it's still kind of annoying. Maybe I just don't understand how to really attack effectively.

Besides that the game is awesome and is one of the few RPG's I've played that I am actually enjoying the story and interacting with characters. I did just get to the part where I am supposed to join the monastery...I hear that's a shitty part of the game.

Well, I haven't played in months, but back then, what you are describing happened because the combat is stat driven. To determine whether an enemy parries you or not, they just compare your attack stats vs the enemy's stats, and that determines it. That's why high level enemies parry everything, until your stats grow very high.

This is one of my beefs with the combat system. This kind of stat approach doesn't work with an action RPG combat. Shades of Morrowind. It negates any point to directional attacks, since the direction doesnt seem to matter at all, only the stats.

Renevent

Cipher
Yeah I read that too, and you are correct when I fight peasants or bandits they barely block shit now that I am high level and I smash them easily. You would figure properly executing parries/finding openings/etc would play a part too, though. I guess that's what makes it frustrating. The game having stats is great but it's also action/timing as well...you'd think not only getting better items and leveling up would make a difference but also *playing* better as well. It feels way too much like blind luck when I actually land a hit.

That said how do you check enemies stats?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I haven't been able to perform a single combo either, combat is pretty frustrating overall. High level enemies basically block/parry/dodge every attack. I basically just move alot, try to hit them with a stab, and if it lands spam them. I can block/parry but after when I try to hit back they either block/parry or hit me back first. I've had a bunch of times where I've parried back and fourth 3-4 times and still no openings. Combat is much easier now (40hrs into the game and I have top tier items) but it's still kind of annoying. Maybe I just don't understand how to really attack effectively.

Besides that the game is awesome and is one of the few RPG's I've played that I am actually enjoying the story and interacting with characters. I did just get to the part where I am supposed to join the monastery...I hear that's a shitty part of the game.
What I did was just push up them to force them in a clinch and spam m1 to win it. IIRC the game never explained how winning clinches even worked. Afterwards you have a second or two to get as many hits as you want.

Renevent

Cipher
So if you get a bit bored (and have a good save) something fun to do is find a guard with a Halberd, kill him, and once you have it you can pretty much go ape-shit and slaughter entire cities. Thing is ridiculously OP but is kinda fun.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Rattay has a bunch of polearms in the barracks. The barracks that is unlocked and totally in the open with many high level weapons.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Anyone else think the protagonist looked like he had down syndrome? I wonder why they didn't make him look normal with all the correct chromosomes? Or why not just allow players decide how he looks like real rpgs do?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Guys, does monastery crap go on for long? I've stopped there now because I was really bored with it.
The monastery section goes on for far too long and is far too buggy if you try to complete it in the intended fashion. For myself, I was quickly able to determine which acolyte was my target, from a certain document found in the monastery, but the game wouldn't let me do anything with this information. I tried completing the monastery's quests, but after encountering bugs, I reloaded an earlier save, crept up behind my target, killed him with a dagger sneak attack, picked up a certain object from my course, and left the monastery to continue the main quest.

So if you get a bit bored (and have a good save) something fun to do is find a guard with a Halberd, kill him, and once you have it you can pretty much go ape-shit and slaughter entire cities. Thing is ridiculously OP but is kinda fun.
Gary Gygax brofists this post from beyond the grave. :bro: But even better than a halberd is a Bohemian ear-spoon!

4ZUe48L.png

Guys, does monastery crap go on for long? I've stopped there now because I was really bored with it.
The monastery section goes on for far too long and is far too buggy if you try to complete it in the intended fashion. For myself, I was quickly able to determine which acolyte was my target, from a certain document found in the monastery, but the game wouldn't let me do anything with this information. I tried completing the monastery's quests, but after encountering bugs, I reloaded an earlier save, crept up behind my target, killed him with a dagger sneak attack, picked up a certain object from my course, and left the monastery to continue the main quest.

I've ended up telling all novices about my plans in hopes to confront the right one and it worked except after I killed him I cannot figure out how to leave the monastery. None of monks will even talk to me anymore. And yet I'm still getting prompts for monastery schedule! I tried to get out by getting thrown in jail, which worked except I cannot get my equipment back that way. This game is seriously pissing me off now. Whoever designed this monastery crap is a fucking cunt. Guess I'll just have to get thrown out by neglecting duties, then come back and kill the prick, then I guess kill the main monk and grab his keys. Maybe slaughter entire fucking monastery while at it too.

Last edited:
Didn't know about the lockpick but it doesn't help me anyway since doors have Very Hard locks there. Best I can do is Easy lock. Never leveled that up because fuck minigames.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I've ended up telling all novices about my plans in hopes to confront the right one and it worked except after I killed him I cannot figure out how to leave the monastery. None of monks will even talk to me anymore. And yet I'm still getting prompts for monastery schedule! I tried to get out by getting thrown in jail, which worked except I cannot get my equipment back that way. This game is seriously pissing me off now. Whoever designed this monastery crap is a fucking cunt. Guess I'll just have to get thrown out by neglecting duties, then come back and kill the prick, then I guess kill the main monk and grab his keys. Maybe slaughter entire fucking monastery while at it too.
Strange, I played through the game with the day one patch, and even I didn't encounter that. Also, you can exit the monastery by stealing a key. If I recall correctly, it was placed on some cupboard in the kitchen. It opens all the outer doors.

Strange, I played through the game with the day one patch, and even I didn't encounter that. Also, you can exit the monastery by stealing a key. If I recall correctly, it was placed on some cupboard in the kitchen. It opens all the outer doors.

I did the same thing the second time now. Asshole tries to poison me, then during conversation I refuse to help him and kill him in fist fight. Cannot talk to any monks after that. At least the schedule prompts stopped this time so I guess I'll find the key and hope to hell it also allows me to open door to the room where my stuff is. Come to think of it now I should've just transferred all that crap to my horse before going there. I did get the most expensive saddlebags after all.

Finally got monastery crap over with. Fuck me, this was the most tedious thing I've had to deal with in video games for a long time. Got a nice bit of fun with main quest after that, except now I've reached the part where I have to stealth occupied Talmberg and it seems that there's no way for me to not fail silently taking out two guards at the gate with my current stats. Retried it few times but checkpoint placement in this part is goddawful as I always have to restart at the part before we climb the walls and listen to same dialogue. And of course it doesn't let me do a manual save there. This fucking game bros.. As soon as I am back to having a good time it just has to go and piss me off again. Bugs I can forgive, retarded checkpoint placement - not so much. I guess I'll have to do it the noisy way and see what happens there.

Last edited:
Oh crap, I figured out the alternate way. I dressed up as one of the killed guards, walked up there and convinced those two I'm their relief. They fucked off. Now I'm happy again. If only the stupid game would let me save after it.. :lol:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Finally got monastery crap over with. Fuck me, this was the most tedious thing I've had to deal with in video games for a long time. Got a nice bit of fun with main quest after that, except now I've reached the part where I have to stealth occupied Talmberg and it seems that there's no way for me to not fail silently taking out two guards at the gate with my current stats. Retried it few times but checkpoint placement in this part is goddawful as I always have to restart at the part before we climb the walls and listen to same dialogue. And of course it doesn't let me do a manual save there. This fucking game bros.. As soon as I am back to having a good time it just has to go and piss me off again. Bugs I can forgive, retarded checkpoint placements - not so much. I guess I'll have to do it the noisy way and see what happens there.
You are supposed to fail the quest. Even if you "complete" it the proper way, it ends in failure and there is no difference to plot. It's a really shit quest, I hate it. Wish it was either done properly instead of being such a throwaway time waster. Shame because I was looking forward to some cool stealth gameplay. The best result you can have in it is just doing it until you can get to the armory, looting as much shit as you can and fucking off out of there.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally got monastery crap over with. Fuck me, this was the most tedious thing I've had to deal with in video games for a long time. Got a nice bit of fun with main quest after that, except now I've reached the part where I have to stealth occupied Talmberg and it seems that there's no way for me to not fail silently taking out two guards at the gate with my current stats. Retried it few times but checkpoint placement in this part is goddawful as I always have to restart at the part before we climb the walls and listen to same dialogue. And of course it doesn't let me do a manual save there. This fucking game bros.. As soon as I am back to having a good time it just has to go and piss me off again. Bugs I can forgive, retarded checkpoint placements - not so much. I guess I'll have to do it the noisy way and see what happens there.
You are supposed to fail the quest. Even if you "complete" it the proper way, it ends in failure and there is no difference to plot. It's a really shit quest, I hate it. Wish it was either done properly instead of being such a throwaway time waster. Shame because I was looking forward to some cool stealth gameplay. The best result you can have in it is just doing it until you can get to the armory, looting as much shit as you can and fucking off out of there.

I wish they'd just given you an option to refuse the Talmberg stealth quest.

Henry could have just said his skills were too poor or something. I mean if you've not developed stealth, you basically fail the quest in the first 20 seconds of accepting it.

Yeah what a piece of crap. I did do it the proper way in the end only for it to be revealed a pointless endeavour. Fuckers couldn't have handled this story bit with a goddamn cutscene instead of cockteasing me into restarting over and over? As a side note, while me Hans were sneaking up there I saw my own goddamn horse standing in the yard. Horse I thought I left safe behind. Damn these guys are good!

I still like the game a lot but damned if it isn't doing its best to change my mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom