Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is this guy playing on very easy or is he overleveled ? The game looks pretty easy from that video.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Combination of easier prologue, difficulty, beta, etc.

But overleveling is a problem too from what I've seen.

I have little faith that game would have adequate difficulty on release, but I did not see anyone pick difficulty higher than normal either.

There is also difference between core rules and adapted rules i.e. on core rules trolls never die unless you finish them with fire/acid, on adapted (aka storysawyer mode) they regenerate, but can be killed without, that sort of thing.

Normal/Core rules look to me like NWN2 - so pretty easy. But there are 2 more difficulty modes. My guess - on release dial it up to highest, which would be close to BG2 vanilla hard/insane.

Last edited:
Is this guy playing on very easy or is he overleveled ? The game looks pretty easy from that video.
It is not like random encounters were hard in BG1.

Without being over-leveled from a BGT/Tutu installation, very much disagree. Unless you're only counting being waylaid/ambushed (Wyverns, Ankhegs, poisoned arrow wielding bandits), they could be very deadly. Khark and the magic jar? Merc group in Gullykin? Ogre straight-outta-Candlekeep? Sirens on the coast? Wizards with pet mustard jellies? Wizards with pet Basilisks? The 3 bandits by Bassilus? Vampiric wolves by the temple? None of these are random in a strict sense, but none of them even have a quest associated with them or reside on a critical path. They are merely encounters to be stumbled upon. BG1, as it was released, was very deadly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Still if you are not careful or experienced they could kill some of your people. From what i saw in this video they die from two hits. In BG1 a nice group fire kobalts could fuck up one or two of your people fast.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Without being over-leveled from a BGT/Tutu installation, very much disagree. Unless you're only counting being waylaid/ambushed (Wyverns, Ankhegs, poisoned arrow wielding bandits), they could be very deadly. Khark and the magic jar? Merc group in Gullykin? Ogre straight-outta-Candlekeep? Sirens on the coast? Wizards with pet mustard jellies? Wizards with pet Basilisks? The 3 bandits by Bassilus? Vampiric wolves by the temple? None of these are random in a strict sense, but none of them even have a quest associated with them or reside on a critical path. They are merely encounters to be stumbled upon. BG1, as it was released, was very deadly.
Of course random encounters are only those that waylay you while travelling on overland map, all those other encounters are not random.
In the above video the guy has a bunch of random encounters and then enters one map with set encounters that are not easy.
Yea bg1 has a few harder ones like basilisks but those are very rare and very far away from main path. Even I that went to kill basilisks in every game had seen that one maybe 3 times in all the years of playing bg1.
Wyverns were a bit hard but harder one in that area were ettercaps with web traps.
Anyways hard to say what random encounters exist in other parts of P:KM, but 95% of those in bg1 were easy if you didn't use mods.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Bandits with magic arrows and Wyverns + Spiders + Web trap would KO most low level parties in BG1, really. And Sleep only helped with banditos. Dogs & Xvarts were obviously easy.

In PKM random encounters are... weird, judging from videos. In the beginning you can encounter some skelington warriors and ggwp. There was one bugged one with single mage bandit. In some random encounters monsters forget they are actually together if they're a few meters apart, etc. And later in game same dude went to some moutain pass away from barony, met level 6 goblins with better equipment and more classes and got murderfucked. Later he returned at level 8 and murdered them instead.

Guess there's no level scaling of any kind and monsters are just tied to parts of the world they live in.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Bandits with magic arrows and Wyverns + Spiders + Web trap would KO most low level parties in BG1, really. And Sleep only helped with banditos. Dogs & Xvarts were obviously easy.

In PKM random encounters are... weird, judging from videos. In the beginning you can encounter some skelington warriors and ggwp. There was one bugged one with single mage bandit. In some random encounters monsters forget they are actually together if they're a few meters apart, etc.
I only ever lost to web traps or bandits deciding to target the party wizard.

Yosharian

Arcane
Streamers roll over random encounters but when faced with more story and designed encounters die 7 times over.

But they all seem to be playing on easy or normal difficulties.

Lots of pots and consumables.

This is one of my favorite die 7 times moments with bandits calling for help and aggroing whole camp on player all the time + alchemist nuking him lolz.

It doesn't look awful overall, but the part where an NPC flees demonstrates pretty bad mechanics. Right at the end there the melee characters are literally walking behind the fleeing NPC doing nothing at all, despite clearly being in range to execute an attack. Looks very bad to me.

Also the streamer looks like a bad player but that's whatever I guess.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Streamers roll over random encounters but when faced with more story and designed encounters die 7 times over.

This is one of my favorite die 7 times moments with bandits calling for help and aggroing whole camp on player all the time + alchemist nuking him lolz.

It doesn't look awful overall, but the part where an NPC flees demonstrates pretty bad mechanics. Right at the end there the melee characters are literally walking behind the fleeing NPC doing nothing at all, despite clearly being in range to execute an attack. Looks very bad to me.

They might be slower due to heavy armor or the player might have turned off attacks of opportunity. Also the game may lack charge ability for melee guys.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
How is it that this game and PoE are so fucking similar yet this one manages to not look like a complete visual clusterfuck in combat?

Even the messages saying the saving throws are much easier to understand, as well as the log. The curved health bars are also much less obstructive than the flat bars in PoE.

EDIT: And the timer countdown beside each curved health-bar which counts down to the unit's next action: absolutely brilliant! In PoE they use ANOTHER flat horizontal bar, which by itself isn't haram but it adds to the clutter of the other shit.

Yosharian

Arcane

They might be slower due to heavy armor or the player might have turned off attacks of opportunity. Also the game may lack charge ability for melee guys.

Incorrect on both counts. They weren't slower, they caught up with the target more or less immediately and then proceeded to do nothing but walk behind it, for at least 5 seconds. One attack of opportunity went off randomly right at the end, so they weren't turned off.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They walked because in combat everyone can only walk, and can't run. So when they engaged, combat switched to that, but NPC is probably scripted to run and avoids them via forced script. That probably leads to a sorta combat on/off clusterfuck.

How is it that this game and PoE are so fucking similar yet this one manages to not look like a complete visual clusterfuck in combat?
Mechanically, because a) all recovery is same and based on rounds like in IE games, while in PoE personal round is based on dex/armor/weapon speed - that simply leads to less abilities used per combat and at more relaxed pace b) everyone is restricted to walking speed, and noone generally has in-built class teleport named differently for everyone.

Also spell effects seem more utilitarian than fancy, but that's just D&D levels ~5 for you. We did not see high level abilities yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, there are more of these.

Here's the marginalized lead narrative designer:

ae5afe4462ad90cfa17229b47c05877a80b440d7.jpg

The QA director:

0bc25bfa6f452385d45b216b8be7346edb0f4557.jpg

And the prestigious Mr. Mishulin:

f566b2a3288809ed654487ae50f4b51f7caa2ca3.jpg

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The last one looks just too close to Borat. I don't trust these people.

If he wants to be taken seriously as a Creative Director on the Codex, he needs more tattoos. And a shaved head. And despair and defeat practically dripping out of his eyes.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah, Mishulin, the oldest of the crew then I guess? Goes as far as Evil Islands i.e. year 2000, as well as Etherlords, Silent Storm, Blitzkrieg & HoMM 5, if anyone doesn't know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom