Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think this transaction is plausible because Obsidian have something in development that will probably need funds and Microsoft have made noises about abandoning their policy of ignoring the need for console-exclusive games (this policy doesn't seem to have served them that well, judging by the xbox 360's small installed base).

Who knows, these kinds of deals seem to fall apart all time and exchanging letters of intent would mean that it's at a pretty exploratory stage.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's no specific reason why Microsoft would buy Obsidian, but a bunch of small ones.

For starters Microsoft has trouble supplying the Xbox with RPGs or genres other than first-person shooters, really. They lack a Bloodborne or a Persona 5. That's the main reason why they wanted to make Stormlands to begin with.

They did fail with Obsidain on Stormlands, but it's possible they associate that failure less with the studio's talent and infrastructure (which after all made Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: Stick of Truth, Kotor II, etc) and more with the fact that Microsoft didn't own the studio and couldn't produce things the way they wanted to around the Obsidian owners.

Biggest reason though is that if you are a big publisher in the market for a RPG development studio with proven AAA-capabilities then you don't have a lot (any) choices, Obsidian is one of the few ones left that can still be bought.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
They did fail with Obsidain on Stormlands, but it's possible they associate that failure less with the studio's talent and infrastructure (which after all made Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: Stick of Truth, Kotor II, etc) and more with the fact that Microsoft didn't own the studio and couldn't produce things the way they wanted to around the Obsidian owners.
Not just that, a lot of things can change at a company like Microsoft within 6 years. You know, like how in 2014 their CEO and the Xbox boss both got replaced. A whole bunch of new people with different opinions on how to do things reach executive positions.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If this is true, Obsidian should just go 1/3 MS, 1/3 EA, 1/3 Activision.

After all - its like those people who have a fetish for BDSM and all the permanent things it can do to the body...you might as well go the whole way right?.

Thal

Augur

Surely, with the acquisition, they would also get rid of the upper management, which according to MCA was the principal reason of Obsidian's lackluster performance. Maybe Microsoft feels the same way, and thinks that Obsidian has enough talent in order to make the kind of RPGs they want to make. I'm sure they would also provide funding for the studio in order to make it AAA-caliber, which would entail recruiting a lot of new talent. I think Obsidian's name still commands enough respect for all of it to make sense.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Too many ex-obsidian fans turned to haters (crypto-avelone lover fags) in this thread...

No, Obsidian is not worthless, and buying it is a good move for a console maker. After they buy it, they can enhance and restructure it as they see fit. They can even bring people for some AAA development... Microsoft has a serious lack of exclusives problem on its hands and is certainly looking to acquire some more studios...

Some people claimed that Microsoft should just hire some people instead of getting the studio. This would be ineffective and stupid and no company really does that in the real world. The only time companies poach talent like that is if that talent is very high level. For example Raja Koduri leaving AMD gpu department for Intel gpu department... Stuff like that. Companies don't go poaching lower level employees one by one. Plus there are the human synergies that are important, not just the individuals. A studio which has produced working products (don't laugh, i see you there) before that got critical aclaims is a studio with people that are proven to be able to produce stuff together, know each other well, and have formed teams. When you buy the studio you buy these aspects as well...

In the past there have been many examples of console makers buying small studios and said studios expanding and producing different stuff than before and actually becoming behemoths of the industry. Look for example the history of Naughty Dog and their eventual acquisition by Sony and how they got developed afterwards...

So yeah, i know most of you hate obsidian after Avelone left but please don't post nonsense when we discuss business, stick to playing your video games :P

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Am I the only one who thinks its weird that people keep referring to the number 1 PC OS makers as console makers? I'm not hip and up to date with my console knowledge but MS must have realized they fucked up focusing exclusively on the XBOX for games. It seems like a very blackberry way to view pc gaming.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think Microsoft prefers to buy very focused companies with a franchise that can grow or smaller studios which make fodder for the "we are so indie-friendly" filler presentations at E3.

Roqua

Prospernaut
MS makes some confusing pc game decisions. I could be wrong but they still haven't released that Privateer like game in any way people can get it yet. I remember they at least used to make an attempt. When that game was newer, before steam was on anyone's radar, there used to be streaming pc game rental sites, and they put it on there.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
MS makes some confusing pc game decisions. I could be wrong but they still haven't released that Privateer like game in any way people can get it yet. I remember they at least used to make an attempt. When that game was newer, before steam was on anyone's radar, there used to be streaming pc game rental sites, and they put it on there.

They can never decide whether they want to push Windows as a gaming platform or push the Xbox. The result being some very strange decisions.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
One reason this might be real because Xbox is now run by Phil Spencer. That guy is the first boss of a major console company to be a 'gamer' who reads shit like NEOGaf and is otherwise immersed in the noxious brew known as 'gamer culture'. Where a normal executive would take one look at Obsidian and rightly conclude 'worthless', Spencer may have been influenced by the inexplicable levels of Obsidian fanboyism all over the gamer internet to think it's actually a good and talented company and a worthwhile purchase. It's like that thing Frank Zappa said about how the music industry declined after the old CEOs got replaced with pretentious music fans who thought they knew what good music is.

RepHope

Savant
Eh Obsidian could fill a niche that MS has needed filled since Lionheart got killed: console RPGs. If Feargus and the other owners took their money and left I’d be curious to see how Obsidian would perform. MS is pushing Gamepass hard, they want this to be Netflix for games. But you need A. A shitload of content and a steady stream of content, and B. A wide range of games in different genres. It’s why they finally started expanding 1P and why I could actually see this happening. Xbox used to be the WRPG console of choice for casuals. Bioware was a console exclusive for example. Obsidian wants desperately to be AAA and MS wants games for Gamepass.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Eh Obsidian could fill a niche that MS has needed filled since Lionheart got killed: console RPGs. If Feargus and the other owners took their money and left I’d be curious to see how Obsidian would perform. MS is pushing Gamepass hard, they want this to be Netflix for games. But you need A. A shitload of content and a steady stream of content, and B. A wide range of games in different genres. It’s why they finally started expanding 1P and why I could actually see this happening. Xbox used to be the WRPG console of choice for casuals. Bioware was a console exclusive for example. Obsidian wants desperately to be AAA and MS wants games for Gamepass.

I've never even heard of Gamepass. It is some console thing or is it for the PC?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I've never even heard of Gamepass. It is some console thing or is it for the PC?
Console thing for xbox, I believe. Subscription service, get access to download games every month.

imweasel

^
Professional "rickrollers" hide their intent behind a URL shortener.
TrumpSmug.png

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Obviously if Microsoft buys Obsidian, they should start working on Project Nebraska ASAP :smug::smug::smug:

The Real Fanboy
Hi everyone! The guy or girl (or non-binary person) who first leaked Obsidian joining Microsoft has now said that the likelihood of it happening is now 70/30 and that the video game press has started to investigate. Exciting times ahead for our favorite rpg devolpers!!!! (if Obsidian isnt your favorite developer sorry if I upset you by including you in the group)

you can find more info on this page, I don't really know how to link to specific posts sorry https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-ot2-the-best-is-yet-to-come.48137/page-326

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi everyone! The guy or girl (or non-binary person) who first leaked Obsidian joining Microsoft has now said that the likelihood of it happening is now 70/30 and that the video game press has started to investigate. Exciting times ahead for our favorite rpg devolpers!!!! (if Obsidian isnt your favorite developer sorry if I upset you by including you in the group)

you can find more info on this page, I don't really know how to link to specific posts sorry https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-ot2-the-best-is-yet-to-come.48137/page-326

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...t-is-yet-to-come.48137/page-319#post-13462626

How would he even calculate that probability? Weird.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I wonder what's the chance of The Outer Worlds being a Windows 10 Store exclusive if this seriously happens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom