Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield 5 - going back to WW2

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
"Uneducated" is a serious insult.
Not much really,a good education doesn't mean good knowledge or skills. Especially in this days where the well "educated" people are a bunch of purple haired dildo waving retards. Education means something for people that hunger for knowledge and aim at very certain scientific career.

Mark Richard

Arcane
They're on a role. One could point to a dozen controversies like the online DRM takeover of 2008 which practically abolished consumer rights overnight, or Dungeon Keeper Mobile, but none of those have really hurt EA. Last year something new happened when all the negative attention on Battlefront II translated into concrete worldwide loot box regulation. It would be gratifying if that were followed by a tangible drop in sales that cannot be ignored, especially since these days every company is expected to attack portions of their own fanbase at the behest of the media in what I can only describe as a drunken dare. Maybe don't walk a narrow construction beam 50 feet in the air because a bunch of people who have no stake in your welfare are cheering you on?

Unwanted

†††

Patron
"If you take a look at Battlefield historically, it’s been about expressing yourself through gameplay, solving problems the way you want to"

WE wuz deus ex n shit

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
In the BFV alpha test, visibility was a major concern, enemies were hard to spot at times due to the amount of clutter on the map and all the graphics effects. Smart players are going to customize their soldiers to blend in with the terrain, while noobs will look like peacocks and wonder why they get sniped all the time.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"If you take a look at Battlefield historically, it’s been about expressing yourself through gameplay, solving problems the way you want to"

WE wuz deus ex n shit
Haha, I was hitting my against the wall when I heard this sentence from the EA guy. I think he is confusing this game with another, better one. Solving problems the way you want to...yeah through shooting the other guy, there isn't many more ways to solve problems here :D

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Reflections, basically another tech to be used poorly by wanabe filmmakers so you can't see clearly with all the shit on screen. Brad Wardell had good point on twitter

Raytracing as a technology can be a huge benefit to visuals, but it will come down to the ammount they use it. I think in the BF5 video above they over use it a lot during explosions, but looks very good during normal light conditions.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Full raytracing is very taxing on CPU and GPU power especially when you enable scattering of said light, diffusion, refraction. It can grind to a halt very complex renders in 3d programs like maya, 3ds max, modo, blender etc. And these are specifically designed to work with this technique. So i dont expect anything of note from this RTX technology, at most maybe 50-100 rays in real time, anything above and even newest titan will not do 60 fps on full HD.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The problem is that it doesn't look good.

Its better then no light reflection at all. What we had right now was fake reflection of light, ie, if light reflect from a surface, you will at most see just the copy of the model that was reflected, and at most there will be just emissive surface assigned to it, if the model reflected was a light source[ie like a sun or lamp reflecting froma wall or water poodle], and few baked maps that describe how light should "reflect" of the object[and in reality just appear to the user as they are reflecting the light to environment]. Such reflections[without emissive] were not adding to for example room illumination. With emissive added, they were adding but it was just like you would light a matte lightbulb, so the whole surface would just emit uniformally some amount of light. With ray tracing, you can precisely reflect the amount of light from the needed angle, from the exact position of the poodle, and said reflection could illuminate room better, or just a part of it, like reflecting on the part of wall, lightening it.It can then diffuse, scatter or reflect again from said walls, and so on and so on. You can see how mutliple light sources, and reflective surfaces would make an intertwined nightmare for CPU and GPU to compute.

If anyone is curious how ray tracing is taxing, just download blender, and some tech demos, and try to run it in real time. The tip is you can't, even with pretty low ray amount. You can get acceptable performance with pretty low poly scene, low amount of rays, no diffusion, no additional reflections past a treshold, not much scattering.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have no doubt the tech is amazing, the implementation will be utter shit for actually making playing games more enjoyable. It will be more of this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I have no doubt the tech is amazing, the implementation will be utter shit for actually making playing games more enjoyable. It will be more of this:

maxresdefault.jpg

BF4 corrected that crazy sun glare, and it wasnt a new technique at all. They just overdid it as a gameplay mechanics[one side would have disadvantage when attacking in the sun direction].

IDK if it will be locked in nvidia shitworks, AMD can do their own free implementation of this, like with freesync and gsync. Doesnt change the fact, that customers will ultimately decide the fate of such standards.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Didn't they said that there will be no dlcs or extra content after the game comes out. It seems that they are just going to push this shit out and try to wash their hands of it.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
BF5 will be so advanced with the ray tracing the you can get snow blindness in real life.
3vIoOAz.jpg

Hahah so butthurt

Well i remember retards who thought that DX9 looks like DX10[fuck i feel old], and they were bickering about the point of introducing DX10, and you just happens to resemble them.Its just a technology starter, like early DX10, of course devs and gpu producers were just adapting to it. Its good that someone started introducing ray tracing/directx raytracing api to real time 3d gaming, and like nobody is forcing you to use it, or buy the new nvidia cards. Its not like it will be forced upon in games, it will be optional like hairworks, since its very taxing, it would be stupidly for developer to include this as mandatory rendered technique. After all its just a starter, after few years, or even 5 or more, it will become standard[like tesselation in many games today] since GPUs will be powerful enough.

BTW above screen from BFV has nothing to do with ray tracing, but with overdid bloom, and looks like its because of the user who turned the bloom to max, or either its beta so the devs are still balancing the bloom. Of course bloom will be present as a technique on snow maps, since snow usually have such blinding effect, the problem is that it also affects the reflective surfaces of the guns, since its probably applied globally.
Edit: not only guns, but weapon kill feed are also affected, yep definitely bloom is overdid on the whole image.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Are you german or totally void of humor. The screenshot is some random bug in BF5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom