Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sci-Fi cRPG thread

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Hi and welcome!

I am quite excited about all the talk and news about sci-fi cRPGs lately, and I wanted to take some time to discuss the recent influx of Sci-Fi cRPGs being released, and the ones currently in development.

I'm a huge sci-fi nut myself, and I absolutely welcome any cRPG into the fold that features said setting.
I was raised on Sci-fi movies, novels, and of course games. I've been facinated with the future and technology for the longest time.
Are we going to other planets? How? Why? Can Earth and humans even unite to such a common goal? Or is it even common for most?
How is technology gonna affect us in the future? Technology was supposed to set us free, to make life better, but did it really?

It should come as no surprise, that Vince Dweller's, The New World, is at the top of my most anticipated sci-fi cRPG to be released, and it absolutely looks smashing so far, even being in like a pre-alpha/alpha state.

Why? Well most of all, I am simply worn out and tired of the fantasy genre and all its subgenres that it entails.
Futhermore, it has alot of what I want in a true cRPG: Turn-based, isometric view, complex skills and character development system, engaging story and setting and a focus on exploration and lastly a fun and somewhat complex combat system.

It seems to me, that a true sci-fi cRPG is much needed to breathe a bit of fresh air into the cRPG mix, and it offers a different and new take on quest design, exploration, story and of course, combat. There is of course a plethora of material to draw from, when making and talking about sci-fi cRPGs, and I'm hopeful that alot of that material, be it books or movies and games, will be made and inspired from that.

People might say, aren't you just looking for a re-skinned fantasy-type cRPG? Yeah maybe, but to me at least, the post-apoc, and especially sci-fi feels setting more real, and it feels more engaging and authentic. The human condition, the struggles therein, and the introduction of technology and possibilities, that perhaps does us more harm than good, has always been a central theme that has interested me.

How and why would you like to see more Sci-fi cRPGs? Could you name some you already played, or some already in development, that you are intested in, and share it with the rest of us sci-fi nuts!

/Cheers :D

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I also love sci-fi, but I find it hard to imagine anyone not. Even my wife, who watches mainly singing shows and shows about cunty housewives, enjoys movies she watches with me like that Tom Cruise repeating day movie with the aliens.

I know there are other good looking sci-fi crpgs in the pipeline - I just can't think of any besides console filth at the moment.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom