Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

12 reasons why F2 is a bad Fallout game

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh look, someone who can't even admit he's fucking clueless. No, 90s PCs actually could show more than 256 colors. Any color limit, when it was present, was usually because of the video card not the monitor.
Just to let you know before you post another smart-ass comment to someone educating them on how 90s computers couldn't handle more than 256 colors, just like how OMFG Fallout is a game with pre-rendered graphics.
You're embarrassing.

See: I commented on someone, trying to correct them. Turns out they're the one with the correct facts, and I'm the wrong one. Then you jumped in adding unnecessary comments. When I replied back on your "smart" comment, you go on autistic rage on how I'm wrong and clueless, all seemingly because I use the term "pre-rendered sprites," as if it is some sacred term that requires knowledge on some ancient computer arts before I can even type it.

This is all when the actual person I'm replying too has no business with me anymore, and I don't even know why you're saying this:

No, 90s PCs actually could show more than 256 colors. Any color limit, when it was present, was usually because of the video card not the monitor.

As an argument against what I've said before when both video card and monitor are parts of a PC. And that video card is the processing part of a PC and the monitor is the output one, which means that, theoretically, if the monitor is connected to a machine capable of showing more than 256, the monitor will show it.

And I don't even read any external sources to argue with you, just what you and Risewild have said. Stop it, and admit you're a dumbfuck, or embarrass yourself even more.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
Planescape Torment had shitty locations though.

Are we talking about art or locations?

On the topic of art - 2d art from 20 years should look pretty good today, if it was made by competent people. Icewind Dale & PST backgrounds are very good, despite their age. Art direction trumps technical limitations.

I guess chon's gripe with fallout is that the locations were too big, so large swathes of your screen are taken up by that murky sand texture. Imo, the style of the game makes up for it

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Planescape had strong art direction which has helped the graphics age, but arguing that any isometric game from 20 years ago compares to Deadfire (or even PoE1) is delusional,

I'm only talking about environmental art too. Character models are another story

TGC6Jpe.png

mpoGh7a.png

Martyr

Arcane
could you guys post smaller pics please? I mean I'm still able to see a tiny bit of what's going on ...

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Planescape had strong art direction which has helped the graphics age, but arguing that any isometric game from 20 years ago compares to Deadfire (or even PoE1) is delusional,

I'm only talking about environmental art too. Character models are another story

TGC6Jpe.png

mpoGh7a.png
Ur a pixelfag and probably a Meretz voter too

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Somehow once again my shitpost thread ends up being flooded by large images...

Anyway F1 was pretty damn colorful for a wasteland game. The world is meant to look brown too.

You can see large green radioactive rivers. Green combat armors on many fighters.

The vault and the cathedral are full of blue/purple suits.

Killing stuff with explosives will result in a lot of red/orange. Pissing off people will trigger red overhead dialogue/text.

Fallout 1 is alot more colorful than you think.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You'd have to be one of those homotional phaggots from NMA that shoved a Fallout: 1 disc up his ass to think Fallout: 2 is a bad Fallout game. It's the best game of the series. New Vegas would be goat, but the combat system really holds it back.
Actually, it was us, over at NMA. that sent him here after getting tired of his troll attempts in there.
Also I am pretty sure 99% of NMA regulars like FO2, so I have no idea what you mean by your comment.
From what I'm told, NMA is not the same site anymore.

Loostreaks

Learned
Fallout was always a failure from the start, in it's central premise of the series ( examination of morality in post apocalyptic setting, according to Cain) by using a binary morality system of good/bad Karma points with classifying npcs and player actions. And instead of actually seeing, "living through" repercussions, you instead get sliders at the end of the game.
Plus it's idiotic mix of humor, memes, retro music, and anachronism made entire setting look juvenile.
Ironically, Bethesda did one of the best choices in the series, with "The Pitt" DLC.

And this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Loostreaks

Learned
Bad taste symptomatic of newfaggotry aside, here is your free English lesson for today:

"It's" is a contraction of "it is" whereas "its" is possessive.

See how much of a retard you sound like to people who are educated because their parents weren't poor?

Get out of the 'Dex and out of the gene pool, please.

Aww, did I hurt someone's feeelings?

Tell us more about your blog! Lol, even got ditched by Beamdog..now that must be your career's high point. Assuming you have (well-read) one, ofc.

Tsk, tsk...for such a "prestigious" site, there is little honest criticism here. Sure this is not a stray subreddit? :lol:

PEACH

Arbiter
Fallout was always a failure from the start, in it's central premise of the series ( examination of morality in post apocalyptic setting, according to Cain) by using a binary morality system of good/bad Karma points with classifying npcs and player actions. And instead of actually seeing, "living through" repercussions, you instead get sliders at the end of the game.
Plus it's idiotic mix of humor, memes, retro music, and anachronism made entire setting look juvenile.

If you think "sliders at the end of the game" are the extent of reactivity and whatever "living through repercussions" means, you clearly haven't played either game. An hour into Fallout 2 alone you get the choice to join Slavers which effectively changes the entire experience you have throughout the rest of your playthrough permanently. While in a perfect world we'd have even further delving into moral nuances and more simulationist elements to the morality system, there's a reason Fallout 1-2 stand on their own two legs even still as masterworks of the genre and why very few games have touched upon what made them so great, something I admit even in spite of the criticisms I have for Fallout 2.

As far as the rest of your "honest criticism" goes, it's just subjective floundering punctuated by bad taste. The humour is excessive in segments of Fallout 2, sure, but neither that complaint nor the "memes" apply to the first game whatsoever, and if you think the music or anachronisms make the setting seem juvenile I don't really know what to tell you other than maybe play the games before parading your awful opinions around. Fallout 1 especially utilizes the elements of satire/black humour in order to undercut the severity of the situations and spin them into tragicomic scenarios that add a great deal of flavour and personality to the experience, something surely borrowed extensively from Wasteland while adding its own twists on the formula. The juxtaposition of these elements, and the soundtrack (which is almost entirely ambient, so I don't understand that criticism at all?) and anachronistic properties are a large part of the reason the games ended up as iconic and memorable as they are from a tonal and atmospheric perspective.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No, you just have trisomy 21 you fucking ape. I'm not going to bother find the several examples of me expressly saying that my problem isn't completely with brown, but how it's used in Fallout; which means your point of Primordia being more brown than Fallout is an utterly moot one. Take the intellectual high horse with Jacob, don't try that faggot ass shit with me when you're a fucking brain dead retard.

for any period of time longer than I need too. It's not even the way shit's drawn, it's just the fact that everything is so brown for no fucking reason.

Right from the beginning you started whining about the brown. And you clearly specified that's it's because everything is brown.
Because you're a newfag moron with no taste and the only thing you could come up with was the usual "hurrr iz brown loooooool i know art"

And "how it's used"? Here's how it's used in Primordia: everywhere. 95% of Primordia is brown.

Literally everything you say is wrong and retarded. Like any newfag who only played newfag shit games.

When are you going to get some balls and post with your real account, btw?

Bad taste symptomatic of newfaggotry aside

Newfags get worse and worse. Fucking cancer.

Squid

Arbiter
something surely borrowed extensively from Wasteland while adding its own twists on the formula
That's how I felt when I went back and played Wasteland.

I'm also not sure how anachronisms make Fallout juvenile. A Monty Python random encounter? Maybe, but not anachronism.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The way the game looked while you played is different than the stills. I also had an issue in which the character models moved. Regardless, my argument doesn't require PoE to look like shit to be functional. Your original claim was that all games from 20 years ago look like shit, which is still retarded; as they all looked better than the other games I mentioned. It's also possible for two games to look good, with one of the games being better looking than the other.
Again, even if we were to agree that PoE looks 100% better than the RPG's of old, that doesn't mean the old RPG's look like shit.
Right from the beginning you started whining about the brown. And you clearly specified that's it's because everything is brown.
Because you're a newfag moron with no taste and the only thing you could come up with was the usual "hurrr iz brown loooooool i know art"

And "how it's used"? Here's how it's used in Primordia: everywhere. 95% of Primordia is brown. Literally everything you say is wrong and retarded.
Yes, I was whining because everything is a SHIT BROWN. There are several shades of brown mate, and it's possible to combine several browns to make something that looks good. Not only that, but I elaborated on what I mean several posts after this one. One out of context quote doesn't mean shit.

The only thing wrong and retarded is the Fallout fanboy that's either too stupid to properly contextualize a statement, or is such a beta male cuck that he needs to take shit out of context so he can feel good about winning an internet argument. Take the Bethesda cock out of your mouth and stop being such a faggot. I promise the girls will stop laughing.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
C02B53A3E2A041EAEB2E04553A6C0CA8E696A329

Someone has to make an official kodex akkount of how many times we had this thread. The first ones were, when i still lurked in the early 2000s.

Anyhow, i don't give a shit about the "fallout game" meme. Gameplay wise F2 is the best in the series by very large margin. Just recently started it (after 15 years of hiatus) with Restoration Project and it's incredible how huge it is and incredible degree of variances on how to solve problems it has. Even trivial quests can have 5 and more different solution dependent on stats/skills and choices that player makes. F1 seems like a demo version compared to it, while New Vegas is also theme park with with very similar problems (underwhelming (yet fun) combat). Bethesda isn't even in the equation obviously.

Definitive conclusion is that thread sucks and OP is a faggot.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Someone has to make an official kodex akkount of how many times we had this thread. The first ones were, when i still lurked in the early 2000s.

The most infamous was when some Codex moderators were devaluing Fallout (and none of them were defending it). I don't have a link, but it's still floating around somewhere.

Loostreaks

Learned
If you think "sliders at the end of the game" are the extent of reactivity and whatever "living through repercussions" means, you clearly haven't played either game. An hour into Fallout 2 alone you get the choice to join Slavers which effectively changes the entire experience you have throughout the rest of your playthrough permanently. While in a perfect world we'd have even further delving into moral nuances and more simulationist elements to the morality system, there's a reason Fallout 1-2 stand on their own two legs even still as masterworks of the genre and why very few games have touched upon what made them so great, something I admit even in spite of the criticisms I have for Fallout 2.

As far as the rest of your "honest criticism" goes, it's just subjective floundering punctuated by bad taste. The humour is excessive in segments of Fallout 2, sure, but neither that complaint nor the "memes" apply to the first game whatsoever, and if you think the music or anachronisms make the setting seem juvenile I don't really know what to tell you other than maybe play the games before parading your awful opinions around. Fallout 1 especially utilizes the elements of satire/black humour in order to undercut the severity of the situations and spin them into tragicomic scenarios that add a great deal of flavour and personality to the experience, something surely borrowed extensively from Wasteland while adding its own twists on the formula. The juxtaposition of these elements, and the soundtrack (which is almost entirely ambient, so I don't understand that criticism at all?) and anachronistic properties are a large part of the reason the games ended up as iconic and memorable as they are from a tonal and atmospheric perspective.

There was nothing "nuanced" or complex in how it treated factions/groups related to the setting. Good writer/worldbuilder looks at the world first, and then organically develops society/cultures around it, instead of shoehorning them for the sake of "variety"/or amusement factor.

Like that idiocy of people turning into Tribals worshipping "sky spirits" after only a few generations of society's collapse. Or bottlecaps as common currency. Or that pathetic imitation of Roman Empire called Legion.
And using karma system by representing of entire behavior into good vs. bad automatically fails at any post apocalyptic moral study.
Or how about this "gem" of dialogue

Tell me, o negative-karma-points raider: why should your fellow men be "grateful" that you prey upon them?
Why?! I'll tell you why...because we make their lives exciting, that's why!

11514%20-%20animated_gif%20charlton_heston%20laughing%20planet_of_the_apes%20reaction_image.gif

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
And using karma system by representing of entire behavior into good vs. bad automatically fails at any post apocalyptic moral study.
Linear good-bad morality seems the best approach in an rpg for me, because it's practical to turn that into a gameplay element to build quests/reactions around. I've never seen an rpg that managed to handle more than black, neutral and white as fleshed-out moral positions the character can hold: doing more gets really fiddly.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
A sane way to argue a game has bad aspects in it is to list a game or games that did it right, in your opinion, as a counter example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom