Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Star Traders: Frontiers - space sandbox game by Trese Brothers

Vagiel

Augur
I agree. Although I enjoyed it greatly, after being offered some very high paying contracts for the war of fayn I just bought everything and now just run around hunting aliens without much motive. Still the game was very fun so I will come back to try it on a higher difficulty once more content cones out.

Emily

Arcane
Yeah the game is def a bit too easy even on impossible once u know what u are doing.
Still a fun game overall. But imo space rangers 2 is way better.

Vagiel

Augur
After playing this I was looking for something similar. Stellar tactics looks great but is still far away. Kenshi also will be played once it's out from early Access. Space rangers seems to be th e closest comparison. I am not too keen on the whole solo travel, I wished for a bigger party, and the customisation seems a bit sparce from some screenshots I saw. I am willing to give it a try though. Does the hd version floating on steam play well or should I look for original space rangers 2?

Whiskeyjack

Learned
After playing this I was looking for something similar. Stellar tactics looks great but is still far away. Kenshi also will be played once it's out from early Access. Space rangers seems to be th e closest comparison. I am not too keen on the whole solo travel, I wished for a bigger party, and the customisation seems a bit sparce from some screenshots I saw. I am willing to give it a try though. Does the hd version floating on steam play well or should I look for original space rangers 2?
Customization is insanely good in SR2, so don't believe what you see on the screenshots. Size + effectiveness of the particular modules vary widely, and then there are ways to mod them as well. Hulls are all incredibly varied, and there are a lot of tradeoffs.

The HD version on Steam is good - it adds a new enemy faction (Pirates) as well as the Replicators + civilized factions. Downside is Pirates kind of lessen the difficulty of the replicators, but honestly all that really stops is from having a bad map make the game entirely impossible (plus you can join the Pirates if you want). One warning about SR2 - the RTS missions kind of suck, and can be really hard. I tend to shut them down now that I've played SR2 like dozens of times, but really that's up to you. The text quests are amazing though.

SR2 is oozing with charm, it has great gameplay, nigh on infinite replay value, a ton of customization, and really just an altogether amazing experience. Play it and don't regret one second you spent on it.

Although if you're looking for something else that is kinda similar and has more of a party feel, maybe check out Starsector. It's not on Steam yet, it's still in development, but honestly it's a pretty awesome game and some of the mods for it are ridiculous. There is a new version coming out soon (.9 so it's close to official release), but you can play it in its current state for hundreds of hours even without mods.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
That solo travel thing is also sort wrong, since you can hire rangers into your service.
And it is possible to just tag along with military or ranger raids against systems that are owned by hostiles.

Vagiel

Augur
I have heard of all the good words on space rangers so it's definitely next in line especially after your glowing recommendation.

Star sector sounds and looks amazing. I think I will wait for full release but the fleet mechanics look great.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
I have heard of all the good words on space rangers so it's definitely next in line especially after your glowing recommendation.

Star sector sounds and looks amazing. I think I will wait for full release but the fleet mechanics look great.
Lol - if you wait for the full release of Starsector it will be... awhile. But I understand all the same.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Development Roadmap
18 August - Trese Brothers
6d0c72cd3c432d38afe3c47f237a32b369820894.jpg

With the help of thousands of new captains, Star Traders: Frontiers launched out orbit in early August. However, this is only the beginning -- we've got an ambitious roadmap to grow this already massive space RPG into even more of a behemoth. We're sharing this dev roadmap to give clear insight into the big things coming down the pipe.

Relentless Update Schedule
As we've said before -- the void is merciless and so too will be our update schedule. During the Early Access period, we worked constantly to engage the community, improve the game and crank updates. Now that we have gone to full launch status ... the plan has not changed! All the work we did in Early Access has created a very stable, multi-layered and deep game onto which we will be piling a relentless stream of updates. This powerful foundation will allow us to focus more on story and content, UI quality of life improvements and just exciting features.

Let the update rolls!

Major Version Milestones
We’ve broken the Dev Roadmap down into major version milestones, starting with v2.4.x. We'll be working our way through each major version milestone one after another, knocking out all the sub-items before marching on. We are working on a fast-iteration style of updates, so there will be no 3 months wait for mega updates. Updates -- and these milestones -- will be falling continuously.

Content Expansion Goals
In addition, we have listed our long term content expansion goals, indicating how much more content, story and visuals we want to add during the game's time in aggressive update mode. For example, we’re working on doubling the number of character uniforms (+100%) and working to triple the available set of ship hulls (+200%). These content additions will be a constant drip of new, fun stuff to enjoy, see and try.

In closing, we’d like to give a big shout out to all of KickStarter backers who supported us and pushed us to create Star Traders: Frontiers! We could not have gotten here without you!

5774db546987ef049b04351674d3021f84d5b32f.jpg

LordofSyn

Scholar
Thanks. I was not sure how to get the embed preview to work properly. My apologies.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Space rangers HD is awesome, nuff'said.

Emily

Arcane

IMO the vanilla space rangers 2 is way more superior than the one with pirates.
Pirates have unreasonably strong ships and systems and are just overall weird.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

you can tone them down in options, highly reccomended.

LizardWizard

Cipher

It's been almost a year and half since the last significant Starsector update and the alpha has been in development since 2011. It's more likely you or the developer drops dead before it's ever finished.

Emily

Arcane

you can tone them down in options, highly reccomended.
Hey ty I looked it into more and the new patches added even coalition flagship and such to improve them a bit. And yeah setting pirates to the weak is imo mandatory to make more sense.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

LordofSyn

Scholar
I've stopped doing russian content on my channel (there's no money in that and modern russians are just devoid of any kind of camaraderie) and so I have a 100 or so rabid guys who just dislike everything I do automatically. To punish me or something.
Damn. I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can get it to even out or tip the scales back in your favor. Good luck Captain.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom