Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What sort of forum is this RPGCodex? Several months has elapsed and no review of dumpsterfire yet, bunch of slackers.

well i poasted it but it was blocked by infinitron again so wotchu gonna do
Sooo it is ready,no need for lynching them,post it here then. Also stone the jew!!!

znprI9.gif

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I expect they're going to tell the story about how they, a bunch of newbies at Obsidian, figured out RPG development on their own as the more seasoned employees at the company bowed out of the project. That can be a fun story without involving gloating.
That'd make Obsidian look like a bunch of disorganized chumps. I mean we know they are, but it's another thing to actually say it while still employed there.

Yep but it's also the story of Icewind Dale 1 isn't it. How appropriate.
Is that really true? A lot of these people were Interplay for a while before IWD:

z6fjLSI.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well I was referring to this (the design team): https://www.usgamer.net/articles/he...-on-nearly-20-years-spent-making-rpg-classics

Icewind Dale was interesting because we had no leads. It was almost entirely juniors, so it was a bunch of junior designers. Some of them had worked on Torment, but they were still juniors.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/9...-crowdfunding-isometric-rpgs-and-storytelling

Sawyer: Yeah. When I worked on Icewind Dale in 1999 to 2000, almost everyone on the team was a junior employee. We didn't really have leads, which sounds crazy now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Of course that was a full game, and these younger Millennials are holding a panel in their own honor over a 6 hour DLC. :M

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alright fellers, have two questions here.

1.: Suddenly the poses for the characters don't seem to work anymore.
My char just stands there with normal posture, no matter what I select in the appearance screen.
Anybody here having the same problem?

2.: Is there any alternative solution to "Goods and Services"? I certainly don't wanna help that woman and her disgusting sub-faction. Can I rat her out to either the Vailians or Bertenno?
Because if I can't I will just leave the quest be and go do something else.
PS: If I attack her, this will give me bad rep with the Principi, right?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
After that "hunt a god, save your soul" explanation, saywer should keep quiet and never be allowed to write anything again.

Open a bike shop, an indie bistro, idk. Just stay away from social media and games.

Sizzle

Arcane
Well at least he seems to have a grasp of setting.

Too bad that out of all the writers/designers, he's the only one that gets the setting.

All the others will usually just pepper the dialogue with made-up words and call it a day.

And that's the most unfortunate part of PoE: no matter where you set it, no matter how good the quest design is, no matter how much you tinker with the combat and balance - the sucky, non-inspired writing will always weigh it down.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It amazes me that an indie studio known as Stygian Software which is several times smaller than Obsidian, as well as being less experienced/funded, managed to create a setting that is infinitely better than the banal shit that is Eora/Deadfire Archipelago.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, if one wants to feel properly OP I think my current build loosely based on Boroer's Deep Leap fits the bill.

Scout - Streetfighter/Sharpshooter with dual aoe blunderbuss mortars (from Serafen + his quest) as main weapon. The mortars target Reflex rather then Deflection. Powder Burns blunderbuss modal activates Streetfighter special (and adds a fair amount of damage at higher levels). Fire in the Hole mortar mod adds +1 bounce of the aoe (and Powder Burns).
Ranger's Driving Flight provides +1 bounce per weapon. So you end up with 5 aoe 'splosions per one salvo (almost all rogue and Ranger abilities are Full Attacks, which fire both weapons at once - but reload only the offhand).
Enemies get afflictions from the rogue skills in aoe (hobbled, multiple DoT-ed, blinded) - tested multiple times per salvo.
Base sneak attack goes up to 60% damage bonus vs afflicted (usually only takes the first 'splosion - out of 5) or flanked targets, Streetfighter special provides additional +50% sneak (potentially also another +100% on crit when blooded), eventually Deathblows add another +50% at PL VII for a total of +160% (+260% on crit when blooded).
Rogue skills also generally add 25%. Finishing Blow can add up to additional 200% vs weakened targets, Devastating even more. Everything in an aoe.
Peter the Cat adds another 15% aoe damage on top.

Penetration is solid too. Marksman Ring +1 Pen, Sharpshooter +1 Pen vs targets closer then 4m. Crippling/Arterial Strike +2 Pen. Strike the Bell (Ranged) +5 Pen. Also in most encounters you Crit quite a lot and that adds another +50% Penetration (so often Overpenetration 30% bonus).

You also get +20 accuracy vs primary targets (Marked Prey, Stalker's Link), which can grow by another +10 vs Blooded enemies with Survival of the Fittest and another +20 if you use Accurate Wounding Shot (frankly I rarely use it, the Rogue abilities typically deal a lot more damage).

I propose to have another set of dual pistols for rare enemies with extremely high Reflex and that ability that lets ignore Reflex grazes. Or against singular enemies further away/spread apart when you don't want to kill your own party with Powder Burns aoe. Against enemies with high-ish Reflex it's often beneficial to use the mortars anyway due to aoe damage and Powder Burns damage bonuses.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It amazes me that an indie studio known as Stygian Software which is several times smaller than Obsidian, as well as being less experienced/funded, managed to create a setting that is infinitely better than the banal shit that is Eora/Deadfire Archipelago.

That's because Stygian Software set out to make a game for entertainment purposes, while Obsidian has been all about ideological dominion of German-American Aryan theory.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That's because Stygian Software set out to make a game for entertainment purposes, while Obsidian has been all about ideological dominion of German-American Aryan theory.
Don't you have one dollar bills to burn? That Aryan shit looks ridiculous,especially coming from a kebab.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom