Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wishlist stretch goals, cheaper retail prices and free DLC: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press..._Tale_IV_Barrows_Deep_Wishlist_Initiative.php

inXile Entertainment Announces The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep Wishlist Initiative

inXile Entertainment, the studio led by Interplay founder and industry icon Brian Fargo, is proud to announce The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep Wishlist Initiative, an evolution in the relationship between an indie developer and its fanbase. In a project that is the first of its kind, gamers who wishlist The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep on either the game’s Steam or GOG.com pages add to an overall counter that unlocks bonuses which reward all purchasers of the game now and in the future.

At 100k wishlisters, inXile will partner with Red Hook Studios to provide an in-game version of the iconic torch from Darkest Dungeon. According to Red Hook Studios Co-founder Tyler Sigman, “Darkest Dungeonhas its roots in classics like The Bard’s Tale, so to be a small part of helping to bring the series back is a real treat for us as fellow game devs and especially as fans.”

At 300k wishlisters, the retail price will drop from $39.95/£29.99 to $34.95/£27.99.

At 500k wishlisters, two amazing tiers will unlock: first, the retail price will drop to $29.95/£24.99, knocking a full $10 off the original price. Secondly, a free DLC will be created and released for all game owners called “The Haernhold,” which finds characters adventuring in the dwarven realm of Kinestria.

In "The Haernhold" DLC, players gain the opportunity to travel beyond Caith to another dimension - Kinestria, realm of the Dwarves. Therein lies the Haernhold, home of Daeglish, one of the characters that can join the player’s party in the main game. All is not well - the tomb of a Dwarven king has been defiled, and only the heroes from Skara Brae have the power to face the darkness that has been unleashed. The only portal to Kinestria resides in Fort Garendon, and it is there where the player’s cross-realm odyssey will begin.

In 2012, inXile was in the vanguard of proving that crowdsourcing was a viable alternative for indie developers to pursue their dream projects. inXile then introduced the Kicking It Forward program, which created a pattern where successful indie devs could help others fund their own projects. Brian Fargo then joined the Advisory Board of Fig, which brought the power of investment to crowdfunding. Now, with this Wishlist Initiative, inXile is inviting their fans and RPG fans to take part in this collective effort to bring crowdsourcing to sales platforms.

According to inXile CEO Brian Fargo, “Crowdfunding opens up so many possibilities because it allows us to pursue ideas that we might not otherwise and to take creative risks. Our backers helped us get The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep made, and now we’re hoping that all our fans can help us spread the word about it, and in doing so, unlock rewards for themselves and help make the game that much more accessible for the wider gaming audience out there. Putting a game on your wishlist costs nothing, yet can mean everything to an indie studio like us. With this initiative, we’re hoping to have it mean something extra for our fans, too.”

:hmmm:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't Deus Ex: Mankind Divided get hammered for doing something like this? If enough people preordered the game was supposed to come out two days earlier or something.

But making the game cheaper? Lol. Makes me think they want to go down to that price point and are looking for an excuse. Meaning it'll eventually go down to that anyway, and soon.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Didn't Deus Ex: Mankind Divided get hammered for doing something like this? If enough people preordered the game was supposed to come out two days earlier or something.

But making the game cheaper? Lol. Makes me think they want to go down to that price point and are looking for an excuse. Meaning it'll eventually go down to that anyway, and soon.

Wishlisting isn't preordering, so it doesn't cost money and therefore should provoke the same reaction. It reminds me more of the social media campaigns during kickstarter - 1000 retweets will unlock X.

I agree with your hypothesis regarding the price point.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Wait, they're planning to charge $40 for this monstrosity? Pathfinder's gonna wipe the floor with them.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not really, different niches. Sure, there's an overlap, both are cRPGs, but we haven't seen too many western, tb-based blobbers recently, so if BT4 isn't too inept it could very well work, although I think the audience for this kind of game is much smaller than iso cRPGs

Codex Year of the Donut
Not really, different niches. Sure, there's an overlap, both are cRPGs, but we haven't seen too many western, tb-based blobbers recently, so if BT4 isn't too inept it could very well work, although I think the audience for this kind of game is much smaller than iso cRPGs
the audience for blobbers is a subset of the audience for cRPGs, they are competing for the same customers

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yes and No. Some blobbers fans don't care about iso cRPGs, some do but haven't had enough recently and will likely play both types of games in parallel

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

Almost all blobbers are crpgs. Stating they are different is accepting a completely false dichotomy. Pure dungeon crawler blobbers like Legends of Grimrock, which I don't like, are still crpgs. I, personally, don't consider them crpgs since I want people to think content (quests, npcs, towns, dialogue, etc)when they think crpg. But that is part of my agenda of getting more games I want. I also want people to think "good rpg systems and deep chardev" when they think crpg, but most crpgs last century inarguably had really shitty rpg systems and worse chardev than modern jrpgs, especially when most of them were blobbers.

How, exactly, is modern codex members defining crpg? Because, factually, it means computer roleplaying game. It implies, "how rpgs on the computer used to be." How they used to be was certainly mainly blobbers for a good stretch of time. And the term didn't really pick up steam and imply anything much until traditional western rpg developers switched from the pc to making games primarily for consoles early this century, with a stark difference in values and systems of how they used to be when made for the PC and the smarter and far more refined audience of PC games. Back when PCs weren't in everyone's home.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

Almost all blobbers are crpgs. Stating they are different is accepting a completely false dichotomy. Pure dungeon crawler blobbers like Legends of Grimrock, which I don't like, are still crpgs. I, personally, don't consider them crpgs since I want people to think content (quests, npcs, towns, dialogue, etc)when they think crpg. But that is part of my agenda of getting more games I want. I also want people to think "good rpg systems and deep chardev" when they think crpg, but most crpgs last century inarguably had really shitty rpg systems and worse chardev than modern jrpgs, especially when most of them were blobbers.

How, exactly, is modern codex members defining crpg? Because, factually, it means computer roleplaying game. It implies, "how rpgs on the computer used to be." How they used to be was certainly mainly blobbers for a good stretch of time. And the term didn't really pick up steam and imply anything much until traditional western rpg developers switched from the pc to making games primarily for consoles early this century, with a stark difference in values and systems of how they used to be when made for the PC and the smarter and far more refined audience of PC games. Back when PCs weren't in everyone's home.

EDIT - Nevermind. I re-read your statement and see that you said they are both crpgs. I read it wrong, so your WTF I am reading butting was 100% warranted. My apologies. I was the in the wrong and the one confused.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just realized that the Humble Store has a newer, prettier Bard's Tale IV trailer (Beta Trailer?):

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://gamedaily.biz/article/184/t...lazing-territory-with-new-wishlist-initiative

The Bard's Tale IV enters 'trailblazing territory' with new wishlist initiative

bardstaleivmonster_feature.jpg

Brian Fargo talks to us about inXile's attempt at a new form of crowdsourcing, which may give gamers a bargain, among other rewards.

InXile Entertainment has announced a “wishlist initiative” for The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep that will offer new game content based on how many people have it on their wishlist. The initiative will count the number of wishlists the game appears on across Steam and GoG, and will unlock tiered rewards based on that number.

The Bard’s Tale IV was successfully crowdfunded on Kickstarter in 2015. “Crowdfunding opens up so many possibilities because it allows us to pursue ideas that we might not otherwise and to take creative risks,” inXile CEO Brian Fargo said in a press release this week.

Now Fargo hopes his new initiative will get his project the exposure it needs. “Putting a game on your wishlist costs nothing,” he said, “yet can mean everything to an indie studio like us. With this initiative, we’re hoping to have it mean something extra for our fans, too.”

The wishlist initiative is structured a bit like a Kickstarter campaign and will offer up new rewards after hitting a certain number of “wishlisters.” According to the press release, “at 300,000 wishlisters, the price will drop from $39.95 to $34.95.” Another potential price drop will happen once there are 500,000 wishlisters, which will result in the price dipping to $29.95. Other rewards include a Darkest Dungeon crossover item, and a free DLC chapter.

This initiative could be an attempt by inXile to work around the difficulties of gaining exposure on Steam. With nearly 8,000 games released on Steam last year, indie devs have been struggling to gain an audience on the platform lately, and Valve haven’t exactly been helpful in that regard. Many studios are considering skipping Steam altogether, but there are considerable risks involved in not publishing on one of the largest games marketplaces in the world.

“It’s harder and harder for games to get noticed and easier and easier for them to get lost in the crowd,” Fargo told GameDaily via email. “[The wishlist initiative] is about visibility. Our simple thesis is that raised awareness will cause greater sales.”

Nicholas Laborde, founder and executive producer at Raconteur Games, is no stranger to the challenges of gaining exposure for smaller studios. ”The most challenging aspect of marketing for indie devs is continual exposure,” he told GameDaily. “With Steam constantly changing how visibility works, you have to maximize your initial splash.”

Laborde explains that Steam’s recommendation algorithms provide exposure to devs in waves. He calls these waves “visibility rounds.”

“To those unfamiliar, Steam gives you five of these ‘rounds’ per game release,” he explained. “They used to get you 500k impressions each, but now they only target those who have wishlisted your game. This, of course, is where inXile will win in the long term, because if the lower price doesn't get some of these people in, they can easily target them later with a sale.”

It's an interesting experiment and a good example of how inXile keeps pushing the bar forward for innovative thinking.

When asked if there have been other examples of a wishlist initiative, Fargo said he didn’t believe so. “We looked, but we went into this feeling that this was some trailblazing territory,” he said. Fargo added that feedback about the program has been very positive: ”I had one guy yesterday mention how he isn’t really a fan of games like Bard’s Tale IV but was so fond of the initiative idea that he wishlisted the game on both Steam and GOG. I love that.”

For Fargo, the wishlist program represents inXiles’s willingness to rely on the good nature of their fans. “Gamers know earnest efforts when they see it,” he said. “We often talk about how crowdfunding demonstrates how audiences are eager to support certain game types that big publishers aren’t offering. I’d say the response that we’ve gotten so far shows that gamers also recognize and appreciate when a company is offering legitimate value for their support.”

Will inXile's experiment pay off? Laborde doesn't see it moving the needle for an audience that doesn't already want to pay $40, but he does think it should lead to at least a minor uptick. "It's an interesting experiment and a good example of how inXile keeps pushing the bar forward for innovative thinking," he said. "Ultimately, I think it's a smart move. I don't know when they'll make their money, but they'll definitely make more by doing this.

The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep releases on PC on September 18th, and on consoles later this year.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
So if I wishlist on Steam, GOG, and Humble, it counts three times? So they only need a third of the people? I don't think they can reach half a million, these games aren't so popular.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I highly doubt they will reach 300k, much less half a mil.

Is it a # that anyone but InXile can actually check? Because if not, my assumption is they'll drop to the base price anyway, and then claim the wishlist #s were matched.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Is it a # that anyone but InXile can actually check? Because if not, my assumption is they'll drop to the base price anyway, and then claim the wishlist #s were matched.

But I don't think they can deviate too far from the real numbers. 500k wishlists and 50k (guestimated) sales don't make a good impression.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron

In theory at least with Steam you can look at this https://store.steampowered.com//search/?filter=popularwishlist and if Bards Tale never shows up or appears but is stuck on the back pages something would be fishy but they could just say the GoG and Humble Store made up the difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom