Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Been away awhile so has any of this transpired....

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
How have you been enjoying Shroud of the Avatar?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thank you for posting this - am I reading the site right by coming to the conclusion there won't be character generation and I'll have to have a pre-generated character inflicted on me?
Yeah.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar has received numerous updates since release. V2 and the Manual are due out next Friday.

In Cleve-time! You have to add 30 years on top of whatever time Cleve mentions.
I am waiting for that game to be fixed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has anyone taken the Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures model, and brought this to 2018? (Yes there is Dungeon Craft, haven't checked that for a while....)

If only. Does "Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition" count?

No because NWN1 has the worst engine of any RPG ever and even the ancient Gold Box games are way better than it.

And the Enhanced Edition didn't even enhance the few things that would've been able to turn NWN from worst RPG ever to something actually worth playing.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
No because NWN1 has the worst engine of any RPG ever and even the ancient Gold Box games are way better than it.

You don't have to sell me on the Gold Box engine. You won't find a bigger fan than me.

But I disagree with your other assertion. I've been running a Hall of Fame NWN Persistent World for 14 years, so I don't think it's the worst engine of any RPG ever. Played some pretty horrible RPGs over the years, and NWN isn't even close to the bottom of the list.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, NWN certainly is good for multiplayer, I'll give it that. I just never played the multiplayer so I have no experience with that.

But as far as singleplayer goes... the huge waste of potential is what makes it so much worse to me than Russian shovelware games, for example.
NWN could've been an amazing game, especially with that editor. But the actual gameplay in singleplayer is just so terrible, the potential is never reached.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
There are some excellent single-player modules for NWN.

I think the disconnect comes about when people who think of NWN only think of the default campaigns and not user-made content. That would be like judging Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures by the module that comes built into its engine, which is also a complete mess.

But, to each his own, I guess.

Bocian

Arcane
Wasn't Jaesun talking all kinds of mad shit about us behind our back recently?
He's been whining about the review on SOTA forum, that's what I know.

I think the disconnect comes about when people who think of NWN only think of the default campaigns and not user-made content.
That's correct, the game got bad fame because of the OC, and it's really undeserved, because due to multiplayer, toolset and DM client the game is one of a kind. I wish we could somehow get rid of this fucking original campaign, it's not doing anyone any favors.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
IBbasic (IceBlink Basic...basic version of IceBlink) has a "3d view" and 2d top down views as options (yes I know the border is from BTII, placeholder stuff and IBbasic is all free so back off :P). I just posted the first beta to Google Play in the Beta Testers Program. IBbasic is for PC, Android, and iOS.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php
and it comes with a built in toolset:
file.php

file.php

file.php

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Has HASBRO/WoTC contracted Obsidian to do a D&D setting game using the PoE engine?

Is there an actual new D&D game that is actually TURN BASED and isn't shit?

Has anyone taken the Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures model, and brought this to 2018? (Yes there is Dungeon Craft, haven't checked that for a while....).

No, no, and no. Hasbro doesn't really seem to give many fucks about D&D. I have seen little indication that they are willing to give any more support than they have the last few years. The fact that we haven't seen a big push for a game company to do something special with the D&D license is an indication of how little they care for attempting to grow the property.

No turn-based games outside rumors of indie attempts that have not born fruit. I've been looking. Mostly we've seen RTwP at best, with games such as Pathfinder: Kingmaker coming out for the original Pathfinder system (in turn based upon D&D 3.5).

No luck on an updated FRUA. I have been monitoring that situation closely, since I have a tongue-in-cheek module idea percolating in my mind since reading the Curse of the Crimson Throne campaign book for Pathfinder. But FRUA is too clunky for modern users to use, and Dungeon Craft has pretty much failed. From reading the forums, they programmed DC in a way that might not be compatible with modern Windows, so by the time it could truly catch on, it will be less compatible for users than a GOG version of FRUA. All hope is lost.

Oh, and welcome back! Really glad to see you.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Welcome Back Jaesun.

You might want to check out on Mass Effect Andromeda and Fallout 4 ; two games that finally returned to their roots and that I am sure you will enjoy.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
By the way, despite all expectation and to the surprise of everyone, our local resident and Codexer has finally made it : Age of Decadence is out.

Bocian

Arcane
Please state the exact specific quote from me, that states what you are saying about me?
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...s/rpg-codex-review.132355/page-4#post-1081490
With the lack of any professional journalism as well as any journalistic integrity most all reviews are completely garbage.
They on occasion bring up some valid points though from time to time.
Not sure if you meant the lack of professionalism and integrity among Codex reviewers, but you posted it in the Codex review thread, so...

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Has HASBRO/WoTC contracted Obsidian to do a D&D setting game using the PoE engine?

Is there an actual new D&D game that is actually TURN BASED and isn't shit?

Has anyone taken the Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures model, and brought this to 2018? (Yes there is Dungeon Craft, haven't checked that for a while....).

Do we have any Specifics on Obsidian's Cain/Boyarski game yet?

Supposedly like 5-10 D&D games were being eyed for development, but I haven't heard about anything since the CEO mentioned it and I doubt it is going anywhere.

Hasbro/WotC is always going to feel as though publishers should supply financing/pay huge royalties and publishers are always going to feel as though they would be better off developing an original setting.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Please state the exact specific quote from me, that states what you are saying about me?
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...s/rpg-codex-review.132355/page-4#post-1081490
With the lack of any professional journalism as well as any journalistic integrity most all reviews are completely garbage.
They on occasion bring up some valid points though from time to time.
Not sure if you meant the lack of professionalism and integrity among Codex reviewers, but you posted it in the Codex review thread, so...
That reads like a response to the poster above concerning reviewers in general. Not that I give a fuck of course *ahem*

Ummm...not to go off topic but has anyone else read the comments for this review? I mean...it's hilarious and completely unhinged at the same time. There's talk of a turtle farm scam, multiple alts, and all kinds of crazy! I can't keep half of it straight but the banter is highly comical!

:lol:

Last edited:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
But FRUA is too clunky for modern users to use, and Dungeon Craft has pretty much failed.

You should pop over to the FRUA forums and tell all the users who are currently designing and playing in FRUA that it's too clunky. They'll be happy that you educated them in this regard; because they've been under the impression that it's pretty easy to use. I guess their 25 years of devotion have been completely wasted.

Also, I wouldn't call Dungeon Craft a failure. Given the amount of effort that goes into the project and how frequently it's being updated, I think you're selling it short.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom