Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Finally got to play after waiting for so long after Gen.

Just beat Xnojiiva on tuesday, started on saturday and online was nonexistent/not functioning for me except for the daily login rewards. The double tempered bezelgeuse was done sub-10s and the guy was largely disappointing as a fight.

Every monster was basically sub 5 or sub 10 even the HR monsters. Bow is a monster now compared to the previous MonHun's I played (FU/3/4U/Gen).

Currently just farming HR to unlock the arch-tempered elder dragons.

Hyperion

Arcane
But when I press lock in MG I never know if it will lock or not, which is annoying. We'll see if I get used to it.
Lock-On does not work like Dark Souls. Just to the right of your Mini-Map are small icons of all known enemies in the area. Lock-On cycles through them one by one. It's the one feature in the game I legitimately hate, both mechanically and functionally. I've never found a use for it in battle, and find it makes everything harder to target and avoid.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bow is a monster now compared to the previous MonHun's I played (FU/3/4U/Gen).

It's the strongest of the three ranged weapons, but they still all feel like Nerf guns to me. Doesn't matter which move/combo is used, which coating/ammo is employed, or where the monster is hit—the additional range is nowhere near enough to justify how garbage the damage is. I think probably the ability to do more constant sustained damage to weak points puts the bow on par with most other weapons on paper, but the need to be near-constantly firing away rather than judiciously and strategically choosing when and where to land hits (Dragon Piercer being the one exception) as per the greatsword or hammer just feels wrong to me. That said, the arrow rain move is great fun and I've gotten really good at landing it on monsters' faces.

I played FU and Tri, skipped 4U and Gen, and although I've gotten a bit rusty, I tend to agree that most monsters seem overall easier than I remember. Barroth is a prime example. At the same time, there are some monsters that constantly flail and spam attacks (Odoggoron, Electric Squirrel, etc.), which is new to me and something I really dislike, even if the monster in question isn't especially difficult to defeat. What I remember from previous titles are monsters' patterns being slower and more deliberate, but far more punishing if you made a mistake and got hit.

Emmanuel2

Savant
It's the strongest of the three ranged weapons, but they still all feel like Nerf guns to me. Doesn't matter which move/combo is used, which coating/ammo is employed, or where the monster is hit—the additional range is nowhere near enough to justify how garbage the damage is. I think probably the ability to do more constant sustained damage to weak points puts the bow on par with most other weapons on paper, but the need to be near-constantly firing away rather than judiciously and strategically choosing when and where to land hits (Dragon Piercer being the one exception) as per the greatsword or hammer just feels wrong to me. That said, the arrow rain move is great fun and I've gotten really good at landing it on monsters' faces.

Funny enough, Bow is in a tier of it's own in speedruns and damage in general. It's just damn really good (perhaps too far from the other weapons except HBG Cluster spam). I think it was already a consensus that an elemental crit weakness exploit bow build far outdamages everything as long as the pilot is also good enough to stay away from damage while hitting the weak spots all the time. Dragon Piercer is a trap for damage but good for parts and tail carves, arc shot is there for controlling space and locking monsters which alone offers alot of utility and status coatings makes it a great support weapon too.

It's gameplay, however, shifted massively away from how it was handled in the previous games. Before you would charge the attack then fire at the right time in a fixed aim angle for a good length - or perhaps the entirety - of the fight. It was deliberate and methodical in how you choose your shots and charge types. Now, an in-your-face rapid fire shotgun gameplay is preferable (that doesnt mean that the previous charge-based playstyle isnt viable however, just significantly less effective).

The japanese monster hunter world time attack wiki for reference if there are curious tier-whores (like me) around.

As for the monsters being generally easy, I agree. Perhaps this is the easiest entry of the series but I don't mind, it's still a damn awesome game and the fact that I could play a mainline entry on the PC is just too good to pass up.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, those small damage numbers really add up, because they almost never stop. I don't have a min-maxed perfect build yet either, mind you, so I haven't experienced the bow at its full potential. Furthermore, CTRL spam (or whatever the button is for controllers) is great for clearing out small monsters.

I'd really prefer a bow that relied on well-placed charged shots for maximum damage. I never got to experience that version of the bow, because I loathe using weapons that require fine aim in a three-dimensional space with a controller rather than M&K.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I was surprised to learn lance is the least popular weapon. It really is amazing in practice while hunting, especially vs new threats. The charge is amazingly useful, you can block basically forever, and hitting weakpoints is basically a given. It's a bit lacking in the coral highlands due to all the stupid cliffs breaking up your charges, but in most other areas you can run down a fleeing monster from behind like no other weapon can.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The lance is great for blocking and charging, but its damage is abysmal compared to, say, dual blades or the longsword. At the moment I exclusively duo with Lazing Dirk, which means the monster has two people and two cats to focus on, so blocking in exchange for piss-poor damage is generally an unnecessary trade-off.

So far I've only liked using the lance versus Radobaan, but from the sound of things I may eventually be forced to use it against certain other monsters that are generally too obnoxious to fight without one.

Damned Registrations

I suppose if most people are doing multiplayer it makes more sense, the lance is bad at exploiting monsters that are distracted or disabled. But for solo, it's amazing. You just never stop attacking, unlike with other weapons where you have a lot of dicking around to set up your damage modes or whatever, and have to reset whenever the monster leaves and area or attacks you. I think if it had some flashy move like all the other weapons you could almost never use it'd be way higher on the list.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes I get the impression I play a different MH than everyone else. Does everyone play coop most of the time or what? I only play solo, exclusively, and most 5* monsters and up are just a signal to move onto the next game in the series.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Sometimes I get the impression I play a different MH than everyone else. Does everyone play coop most of the time or what? I only play solo, exclusively, and most 5* monsters and up are just a signal to move onto the next game in the series.

I'd say the game is pretty much at its best with two or more people. It's designed that way, as multiplayer is a big focus in Japan. Nonetheless, soloing is accommodated.

I believe there are two difficulty settings: One for solo, and one for all multiplayer. Monster HP more than doubles at two players, and I believe they take your cats away if you've got 3-4 players, although it's been a while since we did an SOS flare for funsies, so I'm not entirely sure.

The downside of this is that if you disconnect during a multiplayer session, you're left with an HP-bloated monster to solo.

I stopped bothering with multiplayer altogether because disconnects happen 80% of the time and I don't like dealing with HP bloated shit for marginal rewards when I get dc'd.

If it were any other game I'd refund, but I really like MHW. Last MH I seriously played was 2G on the PSP 10 years ago. Unlike most people apparently, I have a lot of fun taking my time just traversing the maps (which are brilliant) and trying to farm all monsters for their sets even if the benefits are minimal. Some monsters are a pain in the ass but they're all very impressively designed.

I didn't rush through the campaign, I did all of the optional quests and a lot of investigations and they were all fun. I don't understand what's the rush to get to HR and grind the same shit 100x over. You're not getting any prize or impressing anyone - you're already on the short bus from the start playing a 6 month delayed port, might as well enjoy the ride, no?

Ivan

Arcane
I'd say the game is pretty much at its best with two or more people. It's designed that way, as multiplayer is a big focus in Japan. Nonetheless, soloing is accommodated.

Hm I guess this may not be for me. I've always been the type of person who solos things even when coop is an option, I never did it in Dark Souls since it deprives me somewhat of the glory/satisfaction of doing it myself. I'm sure if and when I do get this, I will feel the same way.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I stopped bothering with multiplayer altogether because disconnects happen 80% of the time and I don't like dealing with HP bloated shit for marginal rewards when I get dc'd.

If it were any other game I'd refund, but I really like MHW. Last MH I seriously played was 2G on the PSP 10 years ago. Unlike most people apparently, I have a lot of fun taking my time just traversing the maps (which are brilliant) and trying to farm all monsters for their sets even if the benefits are minimal. Some monsters are a pain in the ass but they're all very impressively designed.

I didn't rush through the campaign, I did all of the optional quests and a lot of investigations and they were all fun. I don't understand what's the rush to get to HR and grind the same shit 100x over. You're not getting any prize or impressing anyone - you're already on the short bus from the start playing a 6 month delayed port, might as well enjoy the ride, no?

The only reason to rush is if you want to do the level gated special / timed events.

Jinn

Arcane
I never did it in Dark Souls since it deprives me somewhat of the glory/satisfaction of doing it myself.

Well, except these games often times get more challenging in a way when you go in with 2 players. Monster Hunter World is still tons of fun solo too. I'd recommend trying it out both ways if you do end up grabbing it.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I bought the game with the intention to play it exclusively solo because I hate other people, but somehow I ended up playing more and more multiplayer after trying it out to get the achievements. This may change later, if higher rank people kick me for being bad at the game or if I notice that I'm miraculously better than the randoms.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Quite right, I hadn't taken into account craft-spamming the strongest cluster bomb ammo mid-hunt coupled with a min-maxed endgame cluster bomb build. Don't misunderstand, I have no doubt it takes skill and experience to position and land them properly while crafting the ammo on the fly—but in my opinion it's pretty one-dimensional gameplay, and there's an entire rest of the game and gameplay variety to consider.

I threw the light bowgun in the trash for example when I hit Tzitzi directly in the head no fewer than 20 times with slashing ammo, it did shit-all damage compared to any other weapon type but bowguns, and yet his photophoric hood still didn't break off. We immediately repeated the same hunt, but I brought a hammer that time, and in under a minute his face was a ripped-up piece of shit.

Really, the fact that the top damage bowgun strat involves bypassing the soft ammo limit says all that needs to be said. Utter garbage useful only for gimmick builds—again, not that there's anything wrong with gimmick builds or that it doesn't take skill to pull them off.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I have no doubt it takes skill and experience to position and land them properly while craft the ammo on the fly

The biggest criticism of cluster bomb spam is that it doesn't take skill and is heavily RNG dependent.

I threw the light bowgun in the trash for example when

Most Light Bowguns are trash. What you want is a LBG that has Fast Shot for the Normal 1/2 ammo: it triple shots the ammo. Still not as powerful as a bow but it's easy to use.

I use Karma for fighting Kirin (including AT Kirin). Have never carted with it.

I've just had my first fight with Kirin and it's pretty fucking hard. However it's a cool fight that plays significantly differently from other monsters I've fought so far.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm really not a fan of Kirin, nor of any of the fights that feature very infrequent and/or very short openings to approach and deal damage (and more importantly, set up combos) before getting slammed or nuked. Kirin is resistant to many immobilizing effects as well, adding insult to injury. It doesn't help that I suffer from the common "lightning lag" issue despite using an older, more stable version of the Nvidia drivers.

Kirin is a good example of a fight where the bow comes in very handy, since Kirin's spergy, spammy bullshit greatly reduces the effectiveness of any weapon that relies on long combos to achieve good damage. Probably someone who's fought it 10-20+ times and has an armor set with the relevant resistances would find it smoother sailing, but most fights aren't that obnoxious out of the gate.

Damned Registrations

Is Kirin still basically immune to anything not directly hitting it's horn like in the good ol' days, or has it been toned down since then? I remember it being a motherfucker in the original MH, easily the hardest fight in the game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is Kirin still basically immune to anything not directly hitting it's horn like in the good ol' days, or has it been toned down since then? I remember it being a motherfucker in the original MH, easily the hardest fight in the game.

Kinda. Once it's powered up, you bounce off hitting its sides, so you're best off aiming for its face.

Damned Registrations

Yeah I just fought it. Since you don't really want to fight it in rage mode anyways, that's a pretty big nerf. Also, iiirc, hitting it's face didn't knock it on it's ass before, only body hits. Well, it was still pretty mean for a low rank monster in this game, the whole paralysis/stun chaining bullshit and that crazy lightning spam in rage mode are pretty nasty. I feel kinda robbed I didn't get to fight it until after getting to high rank, both because the rewards were basically worthless and because it was a tad easier with a decent spear.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah I just fought it. Since you don't really want to fight it in rage mode anyways, that's a pretty big nerf. Also, iiirc, hitting it's face didn't knock it on it's ass before, only body hits. Well, it was still pretty mean for a low rank monster in this game, the whole paralysis/stun chaining bullshit and that crazy lightning spam in rage mode are pretty nasty. I feel kinda robbed I didn't get to fight it until after getting to high rank, both because the rewards were basically worthless and because it was a tad easier with a decent spear.

Yeah, they locked it away behind a ton of stuff for LR, but there's a HR one too. Between the paralysis traps and the massive lightning storms, it's probably for the best that they give you time to practice before putting them in the world though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom