Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How Open World games are “evolving” into proper Action RPGs

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Assassins Creed Origins was a pretty entertaining game and the time off from the yearly releases of the franchise seems to have given it a good change of perspective by adapting more RPG elements to their tired Ubisoft openworld formula... and honestly the results were pretty good

Now that Assassins Creed Odyssey has turned more and more into a proper Action RPG rather than just using giving it a coating of xp quirks it made me reflect; from the usual assortment of open world games which one would you like to get the same treatment as the Assassins Creed series?

For me the option would easily be the good but not great Mad Max game from 2014; the odd locations you could run into in a simple scrap quest were pretty fantastic and just screamed for proper storylines and sidequest options, the game had very few random “quests” like destroying a local enemy hideout or looking for a ungrade part for your car which was good to great but very undeveloped... the car combat was damn fantastic btw but the reality is that beneath very repetitive gameplay that setting was perhaps the best developed apocalyptic setting since New Vegas

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
For me the option would easily be the good but not great Mad Max game from 2014

I also felt Mad Max game had a ton of wasted potential, the car gameplay was very enjoyable and it was a nice expansive world that didnt feel quite as cluttered with the usual Ubisoft style generic recycled shit every 5 metres.

The real problem with your theory is the best we can hope for these companies achieving is the console retardo friendly content of a Bethesda ARR PEE GEE.

Yosharian

Arcane
The MMO-style design of ACO really puts me off. Nothing more jarring than seeing floating fucking numbers over everyone's heads

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This is a consequence of minimal UI approach. In Baldur's Gate and Fallout you have separate sections of the ui for the presentation of numbers. But I doubt it would work in an action rpg.

Besides, you can turn off the floating numbers, just like every other element of the UI. Turn off "fight damage" in the menu and you're good.

Yosharian

Arcane
This is a consequence of minimal UI approach. In Baldur's Gate and Fallout you have separate sections of the ui for the presentation of numbers. But I doubt it would work in an action rpg.

Besides, you can turn off the floating numbers, just like every other element of the UI. Turn off "fight damage" in the menu and you're good.
I'm talking about the numbers that indicate the level of an NPC.

Also, Assassin's Creed 1 got by perfectly fine without this

Ranarama

Learned
What good is an RPG website that only talks about non-RPGs?

About as useful as a game reviewer that talks about a games politics instead of its mechanics

Saussare would tell you that defining RPGs and non-RPGs is the same thing.

Foucault would tell you that the real politics of a game are in the mechanics.

And I would tell you that an Open World game evolving into an Action RPG is like a tapeworm evolving into a creature that's just as shit.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

I'm talking about the numbers that indicate the level of an NPC.

Also, Assassin's Creed 1 got by perfectly fine without this
The problem of weak enemy design then, in a game with good creature design there would be no need to put a level over a creature's head just to show how tough it would be. A guy with rag clothes and knife => weak, big tough guy with full weapon and armor => strong.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well it kind of happens. On the highest levels (and in the last regions of the game) you no longer fight Hellenic mercenaries of King Ptolemy, but the soldiers of the Roman Republic, who look rather differently. And are much tougher.

Yosharian

Arcane
That's great but the game is still built around level-based gating and that is abhorrent in anything non-MMO, hell I hate it in MMOs but it's at least mechanically justifiable in that genre.

Codex Year of the Donut
should I play assassin's creed origins?
This game has the most impressive options panel I've ever seen and should be the standard for every new PC game.
Shows you detailed CPU/GPU usage, MS/frame incl. time used by CPU and GPU respectively, VRAM usage, previews of every graphics option in tooltip form to understand exactly what it changes and by how much.

Game itself is alright so far.

Molina

Savant
What good is an RPG website that only talks about non-RPGs?

About as useful as a game reviewer that talks about a games politics instead of its mechanics

Saussare would tell you that defining RPGs and non-RPGs is the same thing.

Foucault would tell you that the real politics of a game are in the mechanics.

And I would tell you that an Open World game evolving into an Action RPG is like a tapeworm evolving into a creature that's just as shit.
Foucault would say than game are based on a prison framework.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are we talking about a multitude of scripted reactivity to your decisions or boring things like character building?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I see "Ubisoft" and "good" in the same paragraph and I really start to wonder who's paying OP's bills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom