Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Prepare to rage at Jagged Alliance: Rage!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
When you have game with some iconic characters, mercenaries with personality. A game of dark humour.

What do you do?

You bring the same characters over, make them paraplegic alcoholics with PTSD who cry in between missions. Oh, and you make the game angry and edgy. And most serious.

Because FUCK FUN, FUCK CHEERFUL NOSTALGIA, FUCK HAPPY MEMORIES.

Hans Cuckmeister's ultimate revenge on the chads that were playing JA2 and stealing all his women.

Don't those guys do any market research before putting money into developing this? JA2 was a squad turn-based game and they just ignored the first half of its description... even the stupid announcement trailer on YT has more dislikes than likes and most of the comments are people complaining.

You don't understand how it works. They need just a brand name and a passing resemblance to the original. Good chunk of players have heard about JA but never played it. This game wants to capitalize on those. It's a zombie capitalism. Very popular nowadays in movies and games.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Its funny, because they say "I'ts not terrible" then they proceed to describe a worse than terrible game on the article

- The first is a certain degree of streamlining.
- Narrowing the field of possibility to move/shoot/sneak/use might amputate complexity,
- JAR clearly has only a fraction of XCOM’s budget
- early code’s occasional glitches – disappearing weapons, lousy enemy AI, broken missions, deeply debatable to-hit odds (I missed three 95% shots in a row at one point) – ( FFS, it looks like the whole game is a glitch.)
- Tiresome panto voice-acting, the same handful of enemy barks on loop, a slightly iffy UI
- The biggest sin is simple time-wasting, is a slow-motion nightmare

Last edited:

m_s0

Arcane
'JAR', eh?

Even if it turns out to be a good squad tactics game that's still about halfway in terms of what makes Jagged Alliance... well, Jagged Alliance. Judging by the trailer the devs seem to understand that to some extent.

The 'panto' comment does worry me a bit - on top of the usual feeling of dread I get whenever anyone slaps a new subtitle onto 'Jagged Alliance' and promises this time it won't be shit.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh yeah, forgot to bitch about this:
RPS said:
I can for now stomach some of this early code’s occasional glitches [...] deeply debatable to-hit odds (I missed three 95% shots in a row at one point)
This is why we can't have nice things.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm honestly, unironically surprised - a supposed PC tactical game in 2018 that doesn't look like a 99,9% nu-xcom clone. They get a lot of brownie points for "originality".

This is the rebirth of the genre, have faith.

On the other hand...

It looks like utter shit so I dunno, lol.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Bring in the death threats.

psycho.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Its funny, because they say "I'ts not terrible" then they proceed to describe a worse than terrible game on the article

- The first is a certain degree of streamlining.
- Narrowing the field of possibility to move/shoot/sneak/use might amputate complexity,
- JAR clearly has only a fraction of XCOM’s budget
- early code’s occasional glitches – disappearing weapons, lousy enemy AI, broken missions, deeply debatable to-hit odds (I missed three 95% shots in a row at one point) – ( FFS, it looks like the whole game is a glitch.)
- Tiresome panto voice-acting, the same handful of enemy barks on loop, a slightly iffy UI
- The biggest sin is simple time-wasting, is a slow-motion nightmare

inb4 "It's OK. 10/10."?

Also, slow motion AND tilt-shift? Put in some chromatic aberration as well and you got a true JA game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

They have to massage the shit for easy digestion.

Nobody would have believe them if they said with a straight face that it will be a a good game.

Now, they acknowledge that there are some issues with it but overall it's good for whatever it is therefore expect more positive coverage which will indicate only one thing: jagged alliance rage is a game worth buying.

Bonus: old fans will rage about it because they hate women and live in the past.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Codex should just stop following 99% of the modern game industry and exclusively cover old games, mods, and the rare slice of incline that slips through the cracks.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I really don't get it, we have Phantom Doctrine, we have Phoenix Point and the popamole Firaxis games, there is certainly a market for TB tactical games and those games aren't getting tons of cash from publishers either while having much better production values.

Why not just fucking remake JA 2 instead of insisting on counter productive faggotry?
Don't this people have memories of all the other times this shit failed?

Even a tactical game with simulationist inspired systems would probably sell better than this utter crap they are shameless pushing.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Remaking JA2 isn't easy. Remaking XCOM:EU is, apparently. Easy to make, Easy to consume, Easy to promote. E3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom