Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Hevnknekt

Educated
PB did an exceptional job at integrating the expansion with the original game. Even some of the first characters you meet in the game are from the expansion, but have dialogues and quests relating to the original areas. There's so much more content to enjoy, even if you never set foot in the expansion territory. The game mechanics overhaul also increases the difficulty to a more prestigious level. No good reason to play just the base version.

PB did an exceptional job at integrating the expansion with the original game. Even some of the first characters you meet in the game are from the expansion, but have dialogues and quests relating to the original areas. There's so much more content to enjoy, even if you never set foot in the expansion territory. The game mechanics overhaul also increases the difficulty to a more prestigious level. No good reason to play just the base version.

I think NOTR content was meant to be in vanilla but was cut during the development. It integrates with the original game too well.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's no major difference in content between vanilla and NOTR, then? Or is it that the content added by NOTR doesn't change much of the vanilla's, only adding on top of it?
NOTR includes an extra campaign you can unlock in between the chapters. It involves Diego, the water mage bros, a gang of pirates and certain fellas from the former old camp. Totally worth it.

typical user

Arbiter
Night of the Raven adds entirely new world map comperable to "New World" with Khorinis, Onar Farm, Monastery etc. It expands the base game with additional quests, rebalances difficulty and adds additional story to some convicts like Raven who was Gomez' right hand.

sullynathan

Arcane
This is one of my best threads on the codex.

However, I've heard that the Night of the Raven expansion that's bundled with Gothic 2 Gold Edition was meant for vets, and a no-no for first-time
While I started Gothic 2 without NOTR, I beat the Gold Edition with NOTR and it was good. Leveling takes more time due to changes but there's a greater wealth of content that you won't want to miss.
It changes the game and makes it harder but it should be manageable.

Black Angel

Arcane
It's a complete new story which enhances the original game. From that alone there would be no need to have it not included. But they changed some game maechanics etc. as well. Overall just play with the expansion like every other guy on earth who didn't buy G2 on release day ;)
Go with NOTR. The new stuff it adds is way too good to skip.
Besides the new stuff added in NoTR made early game easier anyway, so start with NoTR Black Angel
NOTR includes an extra campaign you can unlock in between the chapters. It involves Diego, the water mage bros, a gang of pirates and certain fellas from the former old camp. Totally worth it.
Night of the Raven adds entirely new world map comperable to "New World" with Khorinis, Onar Farm, Monastery etc. It expands the base game with additional quests, rebalances difficulty and adds additional story to some convicts like Raven who was Gomez' right hand.
While I started Gothic 2 without NOTR, I beat the Gold Edition with NOTR and it was good. Leveling takes more time due to changes but there's a greater wealth of content that you won't want to miss.
Thanks a lot, bros :salute: installing Gothic II: Gold Edition as we speak. Heard it was technically more difficult to make it work on modern system compared to Gothic 1, but I'll try doing it by myself. If I have any difficulty making it work, I'll get back to you guys. Otherwise, I'm going to continue the journey of experiencing this :incline:, because just like what the nameless guy said, "The Magic Barrier had fallen. But for me, the adventure had only just begun."

Seems like I'm going to meet a guy (or some more) that I've previously condemned to death sentence and slaughtered. If that's the case, maybe I'll put them down this time for sure.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a complete new story which enhances the original game. From that alone there would be no need to have it not included. But they changed some game maechanics etc. as well. Overall just play with the expansion like every other guy on earth who didn't buy G2 on release day ;)
Besides the new stuff added in NoTR made early game easier anyway, so start with NoTR Black Angel
Thanks a lot, bros :salute: installing Gothic II: Gold Edition as we speak. Heard it was technically more difficult to make it work on modern system compared to Gothic 1, but I'll try doing it by myself. If I have any difficulty making it work, I'll get back to you guys. Otherwise, I'm going to continue the journey of experiencing this :incline:, because just like what the nameless guy said, "The Magic Barrier had fallen. But for me, the adventure had only just begun."

Seems like I'm going to meet a guy (or some more) that I've previously condemned to death sentence and slaughtered. If that's the case, maybe I'll put them down this time for sure.
Every time some dude experiences Gothic for the first time and I can't feel that ever again. :negative:

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Every time some dude experiences Gothic for the first time and I can't feel that ever again. :negative:
Just play Gothic and join the Old Camp finally this time. :incline:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Joining the Old Camp is the sweetest choice tbh. Especially because you end up betrayed by them and proceeds to raping them in the mine anyway.

You can't play Gothic 1/2 for the first time again, but you can play Risen 1 and ELEX. Not quite as good, but close, and stimulates the same areas.

T. Reich

Arcane
you can play Gothic again, just pick a different faction, it's an almost different experience. Even Risen can't give you that.

Bullshit.

G1, just like R1, has VERY little variation in character progression.

You start invariably as a melee char.
Later on you can main as a ranged char if you want.

Old camp routes:
a) as a Guard - melee/ranged all the way until the betrayal, and then you join the New camp as a Mercenary.
b) as a Magician of fire - sure, you can use spell runes now, but they are relatively weak, and mana will run out quick. So you will fall back on the ranged/melee attacks quite often for a while. Then you get kicked out from the Old camp and join the New camp as a Mercenary.

New camp route:
Become a rogue, then a Mercenary. Melee/ranged all the way.
If you got kicked out from the Old camp, you also become a Mercenary.
Around chapter 4, EVERYONE will get promoted to a Water mage, (ex)Old camp or New Camp, doesn't matter. Now you can learn magic completely.

Eventually, you meet and join Xardas. Should you learn the 6th circle of magic from him (requires learning the 5th circle from Saturas as a water mage), you can become a necromancer.

Swamp camp - the only sorta-unique playthrough:
You become a Novice, and then a Templar. Melee-focused, plus you can learn up to 4th circle of magic.
Since you never get kicked out from your sect, you do NOT join the water mages, hence the access to 5-6th circles of magic is closed off to you, so you actually finish the game as a member of the swamp camp.

As you can see, the whole difference between the 4 various paths available to you from the beginning boils down to:
a) how early you get access to magic (old camp mages and swamp camp templars get it around chapter 3, everybody else gets it around chapter 4).
b) how much magic you get to use (swamp camp tops out at 4th circle, everybody else can get up to 6th if they desire so).

Given how many stat boosts and SPs you get during your typical G1 playthrough, you will invariably end up as a melee/ranged/caster generalist killing machine, the only variation being is what you prefer to LARP as.

T. Reich

Arcane
Then it's more or less true, yeah.

In G2:NotR, due to progressive SP costs to increase stats/skills, you can't afford to be a generalist.
At best, with extreme powergaming, you can afford to be really good at one playstyle (melee/ranged/caster) and semi-decent at another one as your secondary skill-set.

In this regard, picking a guild to join really does influence your playstyle from the get-go. Though there isn't that much difference between the mercs and the paladins - you can't really make a viable caster out of paladin because the paladin spells are just not that great and are rather limited in application. Plus, abundance of strong spell scrolls can make a part-time "caster" our of any character.

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm in chapter 2 right now, but I'm kinda wondering. Does the game checks whether or not you're dealing damage based on using bladed/blunt weapons? Because I'm kinda under an impression that using blunt weaponry is better against skeleton enemies. Especially those fucking goblin skeletons, but I'm not entirely sure because it seemed more like the game doesn't give a fuck whether you're dealing damage with a nail club or a wolf's tooth. I'm asking this question because the game obviously takes into account the length of weapons, hence a weapon with longer reach will almost always be better than shorter weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom