Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jump Attack, Whirlwind, Regeneration, increase your crits, battle rage, all makes one incredibly formidable. The only hurdle you can really be in, is during the latter portion of the first game when you need to attack some strongholds. Due to low Dex, enemies could just pepper you to death. And as the saying goes, when the going gets tough, spam potions.

The beginning is perfectly fine with melee, so I don't understand your problem. Rolling around, doing sick jump attacks and whirlwind deaths is great. The charge move is incredibly exploitable as well. Having your pet pull aggro as a mage and you got yourself a build.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The necromancer pet could get so damn broken if you managed to get the right level 10 head (mage ofc) on that one quest. Unfortunately, it's entirely random.

I liked how the expansion was 'your character is broken because you played the previous content? No problem have another 10 tiers to your specialties and enemies with triple the health' very ... special.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh and the archer tree is completely fucking broken, only saved from being the 'most dps' if counted individually by not having dualwielding, and surely the 'most dps' if counting group damage. So, yes, melee in D2 is a 'bit underpowered' compared to being a moving explosion ala morrowind. A archer with a pet and some spell backup is 'clear fortress by walking around', unless you have no mana at the wrong moment.

Since everyone on this game turns into a multiclass with some emphasis elsewhere (and they need it, for ranged dmg annoyances), melee is always going to be supplemented with a bow.

Not sure why people started recommending D2 on a gothic topic, they're very different games in both quest design and gameplay. Though the expansion is a bit better about this, and D2 always had plenty of obscure quests and LP opportunities, Gothic is clearly the better game for quest design. And gameplay speaks for itself.

You still hump a lot of hills on both Gothic and Divinity 2, I will admit that.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Oh and the archer tree is completely fucking broken, only saved from being the 'most dps' if counted individually by not having dualwielding, and surely the 'most dps' if counting group damage. So, yes, melee in D2 is a 'bit underpowered' compared to being a moving explosion ala morrowind. A archer with a pet and some spell backup is 'clear fortress by walking around', unless you have no mana at the wrong moment.
I actually never used a bow in my D2 playthrough. Never needed it, just potions potions potions and regen.

I guess Divinity 2 is somewhat similar in that they're both 3rd Person Action RPGs from Europe. But the connection is really slim.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I actually never used a bow in my D2 playthrough.
Same. Hell, past a point I gave up weapons entirely and went full Pugilism.

Gimble

Educated
I actually never used a bow in my D2 playthrough. Never needed it, just potions potions potions and regen.

Potion abuse is a leftover trait from the original divine divinity which had diabloesque combat mechanics. Div2 is very much playable without overdoing it, or even restricting to before/after combat only.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Flame wave is hilarious. I like how enemies flu, lol. I'm also dual wielding weapons. The hero looks funny as hell wielding two swords.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gothic 3 is done! Dear lord, the sheer amount of killing in the end game was insane. I probably killed more people in Gothic 3 end game than I did in Gothic 1 and 2 end games combined.

mister_matt

Educated
For all the mostly-masturbatory-and-mostly-deserved praise the original Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 get, it actually is a shame they haven't been given the Baldur's Gate: EE treatment. A little bug fixing with a multi-platform re-release would be great.

mister_matt

Educated
For all the mostly-masturbatory-and-mostly-deserved praise the original Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 get, it actually is a shame they haven't been given the Baldur's Gate: EE treatment. A little bug fixing with a multi-platform re-release would be great.
Right, I forgot how much codex loves obscure half broken shit.

Black Angel

Arcane
:necro:

So, I've finally finished Gothic 1 for the very first time. I want to post an impression, but let's say I'm in awe enough to want to start Gothic 2 right away (not to mention I also need to post first time impression of VTMB while it's still fresh in my mind). However, I've heard that the Night of the Raven expansion that's bundled with Gothic 2 Gold Edition was meant for vets, and a no-no for first-timer, but I've also heard that it's somewhat installed immediately if you install Gothic 2, or something like that? I have the Steam version since it was dirt cheap bundled together with Gothic 1 (and 3), so is there some kind of special installation procedure to install only Gothic 2 vanilla with the NotR expansion?

Cheers.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So, I've finally finished Gothic 1 for the very first time. I want to post an impression, but let's say I'm in awe enough to want to start Gothic 2 right away (not to mention I also need to post first time impression of VTMB while it's still fresh in my mind). However, I've heard that the Night of the Raven expansion that's bundled with Gothic 2 Gold Edition was meant for vets, and a no-no for first-timer, but I've also heard that it's somewhat installed immediately if you install Gothic 2, or something like that? I have the Steam version since it was dirt cheap bundled together with Gothic 1 (and 3), so is there some kind of special installation procedure to install only Gothic 2 vanilla with the NotR expansion?

Cheers.
When I finished Gothic, I started Gothic 2 NOTR right away. I haven't played gothic 2 vanilla, but in NOTR manual is stated that they tweaked it to be overall harder because people were complaining vainilla was too easy. Go figure, I suggest to invest enough on alchemy so you can brew elixirs of strength/dex, besides the Embarla Firgasto, in NOTR, point requirements increase as you keep allocating points on a stat. And u definitely will need every point you can afford, specially if you invest on strength in order to wield two handed weapons.

That was when games were still games. By today's standards (Skyrim, Fallout 4, Witcher 3), Gothic 2 Vanilla would be like Dark Souls level.

Morkar Left

Cheers.
When I finished Gothic, I started Gothic 2 NOTR right away. I haven't played gothic 2 vanilla, but in NOTR manual is stated that they tweaked it to be overall harder because people were complaining vainilla was too easy. Go figure, I suggest to invest enough on alchemy so you can brew elixirs of strength/dex, besides the Embarla Firgasto, in NOTR, point requirements increase as you keep allocating points on a stat. And u definitely will need every point you can afford, specially if you invest on strength in order to wield two handed weapons.

Go with NotR right away. Just safe those wheelstones to raise attributes for later when your attributes are already high. That way you will safe learn points.

Black Angel

Arcane
Skip vanilla G2 and go for NotR straight away.
It's worth it.

Go with NotR right away. Just safe those wheelstones to raise attributes for later when your attributes are already high. That way you will safe learn points.
There's no major difference in content between vanilla and NOTR, then? Or is it that the content added by NOTR doesn't change much of the vanilla's, only adding on top of it?

Morkar Left

It's a complete new story which enhances the original game. From that alone there would be no need to have it not included. But they changed some game maechanics etc. as well. Overall just play with the expansion like every other guy on earth who didn't buy G2 on release day ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom