Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
What's interesting about that dialog is that it implies the bosses of the next two dlcs

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Discovered something else in the files. The final sidekick that will be added in Forgotten Sanctum is named 'Muatu.'

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They said it's the newest and grossest character, not that it's the best or anything. Just explaining the process of developing that companion sounds pretty harmless to me rather than narcissistic.
and how they shake up Obsidian’s standard project structure to create a culture of their own.

Jezal_k23

Well they need to make the panel sound worthwhile in SOME way. They can't go "come watch our completely boring, generic panel, where we don't bring anything new or interesting whatsoever to the table; in fact, we are quite mediocre".

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Anyone else think Deadfire would've been better with Vithracks and Fire giants as two of the four or so factions? I feel like Pillars is held back by being too sensible and too reliant on historical realism.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
There's nothing wrong with historical based realism. Not everyone is going to appreciate it, but it's quite refreshing to me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well they need to make the panel sound worthwhile in SOME way. They can't go "come watch our completely boring, generic panel, where we don't bring anything new or interesting whatsoever to the table; in fact, we are quite mediocre".
Makes one wonder why even bother to have a panel then if not to gloat.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
There's nothing wrong with historical based realism. Not everyone is going to appreciate it, but it's quite refreshing to me.
I do like it in some games. But because the Eora setting is a somewhat bland and generic, and the writing is a weak point compared to the good combat and the very good graphics, I think they're not playing to their strengths when they make four factions with realistic motives and capabilities, two of which are human and the other two of a race that might as well be human. If I shell out for the three DLCs I'm pretty sure i will enjoy them more than base game because they're all more fantastical.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Makes one wonder why even bother to have a panel then if not to gloat.

I expect they're going to tell the story about how they, a bunch of newbies at Obsidian, figured out RPG development on their own as the more seasoned employees at the company bowed out of the project. That can be a fun story without involving gloating.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I expect they're going to tell the story about how they, a bunch of newbies at Obsidian, figured out RPG development on their own as the more seasoned employees at the company bowed out of the project. That can be a fun story without involving gloating.
That'd make Obsidian look like a bunch of disorganized chumps. I mean we know they are, but it's another thing to actually say it while still employed there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That'd make Obsidian look like a bunch of disorganized chumps. I mean we know they are, but it's another thing to actually say it while still employed there.

Yep but it's also the story of Icewind Dale 1 isn't it. How appropriate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Item durability makes a surprising return! https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/updates/781

Update #54 - New Challenges Approach
POSTED: 08/16/2018

Greetings, Watchers,

We hope that those of you who have journeyed to Harbingers' Watch have enjoyed your stay (and according to the Steam reviews, you have!), but there is still plenty more to come in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. In the timeline that we shared with you in Update 53, you may have noticed that this month will see the release of Abydon and Skaen's God Challenges. Take a look below for descriptions of those challenges, what's new in Hotfix Patch 2.0.1, and a sneak peek of what's to come!

Challenge Yourself

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Fupdate-53%2Fdeadfire-update-53-magran-challenge--thumb.png

• Abydon - The god of the forge is ready to challenge you with forged items you carry. The more you use weapons and armor, the more they will wear down and become "Damaged". This modifier will make them progressively worse and eventually destroy them unless the mods are removed through Enchantments. Choose the items you will wear into battle wisely!
  • Skaen - With Skaen's challenge, when indoors or at night, fog of war encroaches more. Torches and lanterns can partially offset the additional fog of war, but only a little.
We look forward to seeing what you talented Watchers are able to do with these challenges enabled. Remember, if you're streaming these challenges, let us know by tagging us on Twitter so we can go and hang out with you!

That's One Mega Boss
Next month we'll be bringing our first Mega Boss to Deadfire. As we've said in some interviews recently, the Mega Bosses are end game challenges that you can take on in the Deadfire and are meant to test your party's mettle. These fights are meant to be for high level parties, so don't expect to be able to tackle them right when you get the Defiant out on the seas of the archipelago. We'll have more information on who the first Mega Boss will be in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

Patch 2.0.1
Today we've released a patch that fixes some of the bigger issues some players have had since the launch of "Beast of Winter." Our forums have the full patch notes, but some of the highlights are:
  • Retrained party members will no longer gain Knock Down, Constant Recovery, Battle Axe Proficiency, or Mace Proficiency when they should not.
  • The autosave feature works as intended after jumping into the pit in the Beast of Winter DLC and allows for progression.
  • Party members will no longer disappear near the portal in Sunken Crown.
  • Party members stay together when using the portal in Sunken Crown when it's flooded.
As always, we want to continue to work with you all to help make Deadfirean even better game. If there are issues you come across, let us know through our Support Portal and on our forums. We'll assist you as soon as we can!

Latest Interviews
Executive Producer and Lead Programmer, Adam Brennecke, was on the air to talk about Deadfire and what's to come in future patches. Check out his insights on the Origin PC Live show a couple of weeks ago:

He also had the chance to talk to the crew of Don't Hate the Geek, who was awesome enough to relay some questions from the community!

Enjoy the interviews and be we'll be sure to share others in the future!

Developer Insights
In our latest stream on our Twitch channel, Pillars of Eternity Programmer, Brian Macintosh, joined Community Manager, Aarik Dorobiala, to highlight some of the mods that the awesome Deadfiremodding community has put together. During the stream we showed off:
All of the mods shown can be downloaded from the Nexus through their links above. To find more Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire mods, head over to the Nexus and see what the community has been putting together!

As always, if you subscribe to our channel on Twitch, you get access to emotes that you can then use across all of Twitch. All money we receive from Twitch subscriptions and cheers goes to benefit the Children's Hospital of Orange County. You can also donate to our Extra Life teamand help raise money for the children's hospital that way. We'll be doing a marathon stream in November where we'll have an entire weekend of games and special guests while raising money for a great cause, so be sure to join us then as well. Do it "For the chids!"

Physical Backer Rewards Update
It's been an incredible relief to hear that some backers have received tracking information for their shipments, or, better yet, the rewards themselves! For those of you who haven't and have any questions, check out our support page with the latest news on physical rewards, or send us an email at support@obsidian.net. Please also whitelist support@vsevil.net if you're in the Americas or Oceania and have yet to receive your rewards or check your spam folder for an email containing tracking information!

Community Spotlight
The fan art we've been getting from all of you has been so great to see. Thank you to everyone who has contributed fan art for the past few updates. We also want to let you know that the community page on eternity.obsidian.net now displays fan art that we see come up on Twitter (with proper credit to the artist). Be sure to head to the page and see if your art made it up there!

If you have art that you'd like to see shared in these updates, be sure to send us an email at fanart@obsidian.net!

Current Timeline
https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Fupdate-53%2Fdeadfire-update-53-content-timeline--thumb.png

Thank you again for your continued support! If you have any issues with the game, contact us through our support portal to help you on your journey.

Cheers,

The Deadfire team

Reach out to us on our various social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or here on our forums) and let us know your comments, your critiques, and what you love about the game.

Did you miss our last update? Check it out! To join the conversation on this update, head to our forums!

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Sweet, equipment durability! The difficulty is going to be hardcore as fuck once all the challenges are added.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
It's an optional feature, and only serves to make the game harder. Nothing to complain about.

The Skaen challenge is nice as well, because it limits your aggro in dungeons. It wont be as easy to pull mobs.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

gosh. Gosh! GOSH! I hope everyone is having a nice suppmer it has been really warm this eyar more than last year. There was some trouble finding this because I remember posting it under another thread and okay things I guess just get moved around and renamed all t he itme but that is okay I found it again. There has not been a lot of DEADFIRE this summer b/c of kids being off school. Oh but my son completed his 3rd level swimming lessons and passed ofc tuvm and the girls are working too. Okay I do not meant to derail the thread sorry but still where I left off in the last update from the let's play. I thought I could share some picts from our first camping trip we are going back this weekend for a week before school starts up again so I hope that is okay with everyone to post here because do not know to post elsewhere okay? Okay!

Once school starts up again I wlil have time to play. So picts in spiler so you can skip it if you want.

okay this is our trailer we rented. On the right is the master bedroom and above the outdoor kitchen on the left are the bunks for the kids.

GVv5bg1.jpg

this is a picture of the river you can tube down it is like 3hrs long so a lot of fun for family

ydEB0nh.jpg

our oldest catching fish in the fishing pond!! gr8 job!

72fiA6X.jpg

okay so September looks to be continuation of the game and will get the new expansion too but probably start over. Enjoy your own holidsya and summer.

Thanks,
Sherry

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I have never seen an item durability mechanic done right, ever, in anything. There are plenty of ways to integrade resource management that is much more effective.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Define 'not done right?' Equipment durability makes games harder and more immersive.

There may be better forms of resource management, but there's nothing wrong with this one as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom