Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Planescape: Torment doesn't have good writing (Part 2)

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Summary of the responses in the last thread:

• Yes the writing style is very amateurish
  • Yes it tries way too hard to be deep and philosophical with little success
  • Yes it's extremely verbose and requires several editing passes to trim down redundancy
  • Yes it come across as pretentious and preachy at times
  • You are an idiot for saying any of this means it has bad writing
New Arguments

• No, the characters aren't intelligent. They are blatant in how they subvert tropes. Their personalities have little depth beyond their basic attributes, and their psuedo-philosophical beliefs never adequately supported.
  • No, the themes are not great. They are never expanded beyond a surface level, and are therefore very shallow. One of the trashiest parts of the writing is how Planescape keeps ramming its half-assed themes down your throat.
I will proudly wear the 'dumbfuck' tag if it means exposing this communities fanboyism and bad taste. Stop celebrating garbage writing in 'games' (if you can even call planescape that).

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
Most overrated game ever. It is praised so much because people were semi-suicidal angsty teens or young adults on their quarter life crisis when they played it and it resonated with them in spite of its mediocrity, as was the case when Avellone himself wrote it.

There is nothing that Chris Avellone made that was ever good. It is completely beyond me why this guy and his pretentious drivel are idolized so much. As soon as I recognize his pretentious prose I immediately turn the game off.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
There is nothing that Chris Avellone made that was ever good. It is completely beyond me why this guy and his pretentious drivel are idolized so much. As soon as I recognize his pretentious prose I immediately turn the game off.

In his defense, I like New Reno and most of Alpha Protocol. It's his attempts at mature writing that suck.

just bann this fagg ffs he is neither subtle nor entertaining. at least put some effort in your shitty trolling threads, its codex afterall :lol:

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Cool. You do you.

Now how about some serious responses to the arguments that I've brought up in this thread?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Broke: shitposting in an already existing thread
Woke: making your own shitposting thread that lasts a dozen pages
Bespoke: making a Part II of your own shitposting thread to rub it in

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
There seems to be a rising trend of bagging great RPGs lately, too many threads popping like mushrooms. And it'd be tolerable if it was genuine, but some of these dingleberries were previously polishing PoE nutsack...

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I criticized PoE's writing for the same reason I did Planescape's.

Both are examples of amateur videogame writers trying to be deep and intelligent, while failing miserably in the process.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The amount of retarded newfag revisionists is quite appalling.

Do they come from some site the codex butthurt or what? Otherwise, what is the point behind this "omg i have to change the mind of these people, they are so wrong!" retardation?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only thing more hilarious than Safov making a new thread is Crispy threatening to ban him for it rofl. There are countless threads discussing the same shit that are entirely unnecessary; threatening a ban just seems like a case of being ass hurt to me. Just tag him and be done ffs.

That being said, the op definitely suffers from fetal alcohol syndrome.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Yes, it's clear you'd like to put them in the same basket.

Because they are. The only difference is that one is an old game and the other is a new game, so there's a double standard.

The reality is, they both suck for the same reasons. They both try to sound deep, and come off as shallow. They both try to sound intelligent, and come off as pretentious.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Planescape: Torment. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical psychics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also TNO's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike PS:T truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in TNO's existential catchphrase "Sounds like Oblivion. Why would anyone want that?," which itself is a cryptic reference to Bethesda's American epic The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Chris Avellone's genius wit unfolds itself on their monitor screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Tattoo of Annah. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Planescape: Torment. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical psychics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also TNO's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike PS:T truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in TNO's existential catchphrase "Sounds like Oblivion. Why would anyone want that?," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Tattoo of Annah. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom