Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
WTF, I was looking into PoE1 files and there is a pet baby kraken. I've never seen it before anywhere. When this was added? :?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I specifically did not wish to bring up those because I would've been accused of citing his most famous works and thus accused of pretentiousness and faux intellectualism.
Was it not clear that that's what I was doing? Muh T. S. Eliot in fantasy RPG writing, honestly. If you didn't want to reveal yourself as a pretentious faux intellectual then maybe you could've cited an example from an actual video game.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Sibelius, Fauré and Schoenberg's takes on Pelléas et Mélisande are wonderful in their own right (though Debussy's is sui generis, of course). Anyhow, Maeterlinck is undeservedly overlooked: he bridges the gap between the pseudo-mystical verboseness of décadentisme and the terseness of certain strands of early modernism. Beckett owes more to him than he ever admitted.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Was it not clear that that's what I was doing? Muh T. S. Eliot in fantasy RPG writing, honestly. If you didn't want to reveal yourself as a pretentious faux intellectual then maybe you could've cited an example from an actual video game.

The examples of good writing in video games are famous, especially here. Why would I bring them up for the umpteenth time. PoE is also nowhere near those either, soooo.

Sibelius, Fauré and Schoenberg's takes on Pelléas et Mélisande are wonderful in their own right (though Debussy's is sui generis, of course).

We haven't studied anyone else's offering besides Debussy's and I haven't looked into them. I'm not fond of Sibelius or Fauré and Schoenberg's early works are also late Romanticism, which is also not my cup of tea (Verklärte Nacht is a masterpiece, though), so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I should maybe listen to at least Schoenberg's take.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Eh, late Romanticism and early modernism overlap a fair amount. Every era is worth embracing, including our own (T. S. Eliot no doubt agrees from beyond the grave, albeit ever reluctantly).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Eh, late Romanticism and early modernism overlap a fair amount. Every era is worth embracing, including our own (T. S. Eliot no doubt agrees from beyond the grave, albeit ever reluctantly).

I can't stand its bloated forms and almost melodramatic chord progressions, overindulgent and sickly sweet bombastic climaxes, and their overplayed nature among orchestras. Bruckner, Mahler, Sibelius, Fauré, Bruch and even Wagner are the main culprits. It's not that they aren't geniuses, they are, we just have differing aesthetic goals. I can listen to Richard Strauss, though, so not everything is off the table.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Why would I bring them up for the umpteenth time.
Because they're about a billion times more relevant. And quoting specifics from well written games, aside from a few choice Torment dialogues, is not as common as you claim. Doing that, or even better, quoting something less well known, would've shown some insight. Instead you bring up T. S. Eliot, something any chump with a Lit 101 class under his belt could do, while specifically stating that you aren't citing something irrelevant, you aren't being pretentious and your doing so is not a case of faux intellectualism. Do you have any self-awareness or sense of irony at all?

pomenitul

Arbiter
I can't stand its bloated forms and almost melodramatic chord progressions, overindulgent and sickly sweet bombastic climaxes, and their overplayed nature among orchestras. Bruckner, Mahler, Sibelius, Fauré, Bruch and even Wagner are the main culprits. It's not that they aren't geniuses, they are, we just have differing aesthetic goals. I can listen to Richard Strauss, though, so not everything is off the table.

Mahler, Strauss, Bruckner, Bruch and Wagner, sure. Quite a bit of Sibelius, and some Fauré, perhaps. But try listening to Fauré's late solo piano works or to his lone string quartet or to his piano trio. For Sibelius, try Tapiola or the 4th Symphony or The Bard. Both composers were notoriously allergic to bombast, though their best known works certainly don't bear this out (audiences generally don't pay attention to artists when they are curt and elliptical). Avoid British performers, who invariably turn these pieces into saccharine. Look to Osmo Vänskä for Sibelius and, say, Jean Doyen for the Fauré.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Because they're about a billion times more relevant. And quoting specifics from well written games, aside from a few choice Torment dialogues, is not as common as you claim. Doing that, or even better, quoting something less well known, would've shown some insight. Instead you bring up T. S. Eliot, something any chump with a Lit 101 class under his belt could do, while specifically stating that you aren't citing something irrelevant, you aren't being pretentious and your doing so is not a case of faux intellectualism. Do you have any self-awareness or sense of irony at all?

Who would you have me cite that isn't going to get me accused of barely passing Lit 101? Mallarmé, who is irrelevant? Or Sarah Kane? This is precisely why we can't get anywhere with any conversation, every time we bring up examples of good writing, we are accused of all kinds of things. And where would I find the entire script of good written games so I can cite them sentence by sentence? Most well-written games aren't so because of their sentence structure or good use of adverbs or adjectives, it's the overall form, characters and logical progression of events.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I take it back, citing someone less famous would be even worse. And yeah, it's harder to quote video games, that's true. I'm just worried that if you get any more pretentious than you already are, your head would implode. Nobody in the entire world will disagree that Murder in the Cathedral is better written than Deadfire, and nobody needs you to give an example because everybody has read something better than Deadfire. You could think of a thousand better works than Deadfire with all of literature to choose from, as could I, as could everyone else. Your post is offensively redundant. The only purpose of it is to let everyone know that you're familiar with Murder in the Cathedral. Mention a memorable scene from a well written game, try to think of ways to improve a piece of dialogue, make an effort, anything but this nebulous low-effort self-fellating bitching. Pull your head out of your ass before you choke.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Wow, very insightful and witty. And maybe I do like tooting my own horn and maybe that is exactly why I'm doing it, just to show how I can cite Eliot and that I know one of his plays. Only the one mind you, I wouldn't want you to think I know more than that and disprove the thinly veiled illusion of my intellectual capabilities and knowledge. I have given no indication that I wasn't a fetishistic narcissist and attention whore, so.

And again, the examples and scenes of good writing in games are painfully known and brought up again and again. I have consistently given examples of how to fix PoE's writing, so that comment is superfluous. And before anyone accuses me of only being negative, I have given praise where praise is due.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
dragon quest games have fantastic writing and they're deliberately written to be very simple and whimsical; dq games are masterful in achieving good characterization of npcs with only a few lines of dialog. video game writing doesn't need to be verbose or a million words to be good, or be complicated to be good either.

Shadenuat

Arcane
codex 1.0 where are our words
codex 2.0 fuck all these words
codex 3.0 we won't stand writing worse than best works of romanticism in our games
codex 4.0 JRPGs have good writing

and all that time the bagpipes were out of tune.

I think at this point I am ready to just eat my aerie romance. Gaydar halp.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
the difference is other reviews are fake news while roxor review isnt
Then you should write one, fentre.

At least it wont give me brain cancer like reading this last page here.

Although judging by how much your speech has deteriorated since i was last around i dont hold much hope.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I wouldn't say "smashing the villain solves society's problems", it solves the plot we are currently in, nobody is talking about society at large.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wouldn't say "smashing the villain solves society's problems", it solves the plot we are currently in, nobody is talking about society at large.
Sauron (and then Saruman) from the Lord of the Rings, the witch from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's my point, the books focus on him, and defeating him ultimately solves the plot, but I very much doubt everything else is some sort of heaven. Tolkien just didn't mention them because they didn't pertain to the story being told.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's my point, the books focus on him, and defeating him ultimately solves the plot, but I very much doubt everything else is some sort of heaven. Tolkien just didn't mention them because they didn't pertain to the story being told.
Tolkien sperged out about everything in the six appendices of Return of the King.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom