Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Watching that footage am I wrong that the armor and/or health count never went below 100?! Really? It's that easy? :retarded:
It did in the later videos. And obviously these promo materials don't show high difficulties, because it is not cool to show the player constantly dying.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Let me blow your mind: Don't perform the executions, if you don't like them.

The point is, NuDoom is good for what it is (I kinda sorta like it, as I said, as it was a good Doom mod, and Doom mods are crazy). Brutal Doom's "balance" is built on a smart use of executions as both eye candy and they give back some amount of health: in nuDoom they extended it to give the player back health AND ammo. This gets two objectives from a design standpoint: you have to lessen the need for handmade placement of ammo and supplies (it's still done, of course, but it's far less) and also lessen the need for sustaining combat encounter designs. Someone in the thread asked why there are the easy to kill zombies: they are nothing but combat pinatas to shore up the player if needed with ammo&health inside a combat encounter. It's a non-Doom design, and again I do think it's an evolution of a mechanic that other shooters had (I dimly remember it being a thing in several Eastern Euro shooters).

And to be honest, DOOM Eternal looks more and more as a refinement not of the original Doom, but of Doom mods. Brutal Doom's approach to gore and executions, Demonsteele's mobility, extra weapon gimmicks.... I swear someone in the dev team got a good and long look at the Doom Community accomplishments and started, well, stealing ideas for a AAA game. That can't be bad.

The bad things on the video are, well, the music, but I guess they can't fire the guy or something, and the sound design. It's chaotic and not in the good sense: it seems that you are forced to visual recognition and planning 'cause the music isn't a blood-pumping support but an annoying electronic droning and the monsters do not make enough noise\distinctive enough noises to let you plan. You have to see them perform an attack an' shit.

Gun noises are bad but , well, maybe they'll start copying Doom mods even in that. Can't wait when they get their hands on Russian Overkill.

Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
Hey guys forget it this new Doom Eternal full of arena shit.If you want a true doom experience: fun and strategic with good level design and engaging gameplay,i recommend you guys play doom 2 with hideous destructor mod:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=12973

what is Hideous Destructor ?

Hideous Destructor is a popular mod that takes doom 2 to new level of realism and immersion ! Things like bleed,manual pick up itens,inventory management,cover system,realistic damage system,slow realistic movement speed and much much more ! there are details in Hideous Destructor we haven't seen yet in any other realistic simulation fps like arma,rainbow six... !! more info here: https://www.pcgamer.com/in-hyperrea...uctor-you-have-to-pick-up-your-shell-casings/ .

Check it out some gameplay demostration:

Great mod ! challenging,strategic and intensive.The best Doom experience i have seen !!

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The sad thing is that the game almost manages to look like it might be fun (grapple and dash might make up for slow movement speed), but then every 15 seconds there's one of those execution animations (some of them even repeat in the promo material) which immediately makes me disinterested.
Well, it was a long time ago since I played the demo, but iirc it's not really an option. Executions grant hp (and maybe even ammo?), and shooting them drains extra ammo (and ammo for the non-peashooter is scarce-ish).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The sad thing is that the game almost manages to look like it might be fun (grapple and dash might make up for slow movement speed), but then every 15 seconds there's one of those execution animations (some of them even repeat in the promo material) which immediately makes me disinterested.
Well, it was a long time ago since I played the demo, but iirc it's not really an option. Executions grant hp (and maybe even ammo?), and shooting them drains extra ammo (and ammo for the non-peashooter is scarce-ish).
Well sure, but not doing it grants an additional difficulty if you look at that way.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Killing enemies the regular way takes up ammo, so especially early on you're pressed to glory kill when your starting max ammo cap is kept artificially low. Letting enemies bleed out instead of finishing them off is not satisfying at all, moreover enemies will automatically recover from a stagger state when left unfinished. You're pretty much expected to Glory Kill with the chainsaw every once in a while to refill your ammo considering the regular ammo pickups are often inadequate for the enemies on stage

Eternal is even starting to add more stuff like "your next melee hit deals more damage after a glory kill" or "you gain a speed boost after performing a glory kill", so there's less of a reason to not do it.

This stuff works fine in an isometric twin-stick shooter or third-person hack 'n slash game, but less so in a FPS where your situational awareness gets hampered by the canned animations, hence why I've been advocating to let you perform Glory Kills by simply dashing into staggered enemies. It worked fine in Doom VFR.
The level design in Doom 4 was open and sprawling when you weren't confined in arenas. From what I saw of the urban map, it looks like it's still the case but there was no arena shown.
No point to open sprawling level design when it's largely devoid of enemies and any tension

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Big Wrangle

I am surprised "Demons is an offensive word" threw anybody off, it's clearly based on "Oh please Sir don't call me Evil, call me... Pragmatic."

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Watching that footage am I wrong that the armor and/or health count never went below 100?! Really? It's that easy? :retarded:
Probably its just lowest difficulty setting or enemies damage got lowered for presentation. In Doom reboot demons deal lot of damage on highest difficulty settings, I doubt it will be much different in Eternal.

The enemies looked rather easy in the demo (and sometimes really dumb). In one of the fights, the mancubus didn't even attack the player properly. And the demons go down faster than in the original games.

Niklasgunner

Savant
Reeee fucking Djent why doesn‘t nu-doom have a trve atmospheric ditcheridoo black power metal soundtrack goddamn unenlightened brainlets aren‘t real metalheads like me

racofer

Thread Incliner
Are they planning a Steam release of this game, or will they fuck it up by locking it into that Bethesda launcher nonsense like Failout 76?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Reeee fucking Djent why doesn‘t nu-doom have a trve atmospheric ditcheridoo black power metal soundtrack goddamn unenlightened brainlets aren‘t real metalheads like me

'cause it's shit. And I like NuDoom. The soundtrack is easily one of the worst pieces of NuDoom, with the sound design being iffy in general.

It gets mangled to pieces even by fan remakes of the original soundtracks.

Big Wrangle

Based on previous backlashes I'm getting the feeling they'll keep it for strictly online products, though Quake Champions is on Steam so who know. At least until they test the waters, I suppose.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They should borrow some color from the Rage 2 team. Doom demons need to pop.
---
The medieval / renaissance buildings didn't look very doom like and were super boring. Maybe that will change with enemies.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Djent is cancer. Even the guys who invented it apologized for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent

"In a 2018 interview by Rauta, Meshuggah guitarist Mårten Hagström apologized for the band's role in creating the djent genre"

Fucking lol.

Wunderbar

Arcane
game was designed around executions, you'll have a bad time on harder difficulties because enemies tend to drop more healthpacks and ammo after execution, than after normal kill.

Big Wrangle

"In a 2018 interview by Rauta, Meshuggah guitarist Mårten Hagström apologized for the band's role in creating the djent genre"
I dunno what is he even apolgizing for. Meshuggah did something they thought was cool based on progressive metal with their own twist, and some people online didn't look beyond the surface and the term coining happened. If there is someone to blame, it's those people. Meshuggah is much more dynamic and layered than "Djent" people. Should King Crimson apologize because progressive rock is way past its peak now? lol. These "apologies" only obfuscate where the problems come from.
That being said I'd argue Mick Gordon is more on the industrial metal end than anything.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I will never, ever, ever get used to that quick time shit in the middle of combat and that is why this game will always be garbage.
These are context sensitive actions, QTEs have a chance of failure during the animations.

Jezal_k23

Are they planning a Steam release of this game, or will they fuck it up by locking it into that Bethesda launcher nonsense like Failout 76?

I don't think it's coming out on Steam. The preorders have opened everywhere but there. I'm guessing it'll use bethesda.net as a launcher.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
No point to open sprawling level design when it's largely devoid of enemies and any tension

I like how people ignore the word "design" and think old school levels were all about size.

Enemy placement, exploration, interactivity, puzzles, all those are part of what made traditional level design so good. This is why games like Doom or Quake have such a long standing tradition of custom levels, because level making is a craft and an art in itself, and people enjoy putting their own contributions out there as any artist would.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I dunno what is he even apolgizing for. Meshuggah did something they thought was cool based on progressive metal with their own twist, and some people online didn't look beyond the surface and the term coining happened. If there is someone to blame, it's those people. Meshuggah is much more dynamic and layered than "Djent" people. Should King Crimson apologize because progressive rock is way past its peak now? lol. These "apologies" only obfuscate where the problems come from. That being said I'd argue Mick Gordon is more on the industrial metal end than anything.

He probably apologized as a mean to make a statement about how shit the Djent scene is.

Doom's soundtrack, the original, really demonstrates just how different a world the old school gaming scene was. But then games were made by nerds back then and not normie faggots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom