Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Tolkien never placed limits on Gandalf's magic for many reasons, all of them narrative ones. Given Tolkien's obsessiveness over descriptions, I'd say he not describing something is important, in this case Gandalf's magic. I'd even say Gandalf is a representation of the storyteller's (Tolkien's) ultimate power over his creation, only held in check by the demands of a good narrative.
It is not his style exactly,it was normal to describe a lot of shit back then. Nobody knows why he made Gandalf the way he made him,i do enjoy him,the world and i do enjoy Tolkien's books. I have no problem with being low magic.

In the hobbit movies there was some very high magic shit,like this one:
YawningInfatuatedIndianelephant-size_restricted.gif

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's the modern cult of the badass at play

In the books elf could run on wall of snow without leaving any footprints. but it was more like elfs so mysterious wow.

prettiest anything out of game's art I've seen so far

pathfinder.jpg

replace that thing on Amiri's shoulder with actual weapon and you can imagine game looks better than it actually does eh.
honestly I think the artists are doing their best, trying to please pathfinders owners while deviating as much as possible. I think they are doing a good job given the circumstances which with they must work.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Pathfinder is basically D&D, though, just not officially, lol. But yeah, I guess maybe it would've been more difficult to get a license for anything D&D related.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't WotC kill Planescape? Dunno how Ravenloft is faring, but it seems less suited to your average kill-monsters-get-loot RtwP CRPG, judging by what I've read about it. Plus the Pathfinder system is preferred by a large number of PnP players, maybe by the developers too.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ravenloft is more about the characters and their journey against the evil powers (or becoming the evil powers themselves) rather than killing orcs and goblins, but it still has dungeons and creepy towns and shit. It's more of a narrative-heavy game, like most nu-RPGs are, so a great match. The protagonists are like Van Helsing's band going against Dracula, rather than the Fellowship going against Sauron, if that makes sense.

Azarkon

Arcane
Some guy started a new playthrough with the most recent beta and so far game looks... pretty decent actually. Already looks more fun than PoE ever did.

Watched the introduction. When will developers learn not to lore dump right at the start of the game? From the player's perspective, you spend 15 minutes building your character, and are eager to get playing, only to be forced to sit through another 15 minutes of expository dialogue... Why? All that had to be communicated was that the player took up a quest from the lord of Restov to clear out monsters and bandits in return for land and titles. That could've been done in 30 seconds by a narrator. There's no reason to play out that scene.

That said... Still better than Pillars of Eternity 1's introduction.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The dialogue isn't natural. You choose a single sentence dialog option and get a 1-3 paragraph plastic response.

It's the same problem Pillars 1 had, but was fixed in Deadfire.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The dialogue isn't natural. You choose a single sentence dialog option and get a 1-3 paragraph plastic response.

It's the same problem Pillars 1 had, but was fixed in Deadfire.
You hype up Pillars 2 so much. When the fuck is the goddamn review coming, as I probably won't be able to play the game for another several years at least.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That problem was "fixed" in WM part 1 already. They just didn't fix any of the others concerning the writing, neither in WM nor DF. Anyway, prepare to be assaulted with text in this game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Watched the introduction. When will developers learn not to lore dump right at the start of the game? From the player's perspective, you spend 15 minutes building your character, and are eager to get playing, only to be forced to sit through another 15 minutes of expository dialogue... Why? All that had to be communicated was that the player took up a quest from the lord of Restov to clear out monsters and bandits in return for land and titles.
What lore dump? It does exactly what you say.
- There are stolen lands. There's dat Stag Lord.
introduces 2 companions (linzi and amiri)
introduces first antagonist (purple gnome dick). what do people always praise BG2 & DeusEx for? introducing villains quickly and them acting through the game.
- Go kill bandits.
press 5. all is clear as day.

Text could use a light cleanup ("I won't bore you with legal technicalities" it's what managers today say, not what any medieval lord would say; to not bore anyone with legal technicalities just don't say any legal technicalities or saying you're not boring people with them: less text > point made quicker > less boring) but introduction is the least wordy part of the beta really. There are more wordy NPCs around which are not so important as introduction to the game. The lore dump would be something like stolen lands conquered by blah blah in the year of fake madeup name by blah blah now ruled by ducs and erls blah i.e shit probably hidden behind colored tags.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
The UI could use a little upgrade, and the text color need some adjustments.

Also is there an moving faster when not in combat feature like PoE? It could use one.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
No, there's not. I requested the developers add one for combat like Deadfire has, but they don't support it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You also move slower during bad weather, if party carries too much stuff and who knows maybe they will introduce terrain too. Hard to say how good it is outside of combat except immersion though.

Azarkon

Arcane
Watched the introduction. When will developers learn not to lore dump right at the start of the game? From the player's perspective, you spend 15 minutes building your character, and are eager to get playing, only to be forced to sit through another 15 minutes of expository dialogue... Why? All that had to be communicated was that the player took up a quest from the lord of Restov to clear out monsters and bandits in return for land and titles.
What lore dump? It does exactly what you say.
- There are stolen lands. There's dat Stag Lord.
introduces 2 companions (linzi and amiri)
introduces first antagonist (purple gnome dick). what do people always praise BG2 & DeusEx for? introducing villains quickly and them acting through the game.
- Go kill bandits.
press 5. all is clear as day.

Text could use a light cleanup ("I won't bore you with legal technicalities" it's what managers today say, not what any medieval lord would say; to not bore anyone with legal technicalities just don't say any legal technicalities or saying you're not boring people with them: less text > point made quicker > less boring) but introduction is the least wordy part of the beta really. There are more wordy NPCs around which are not so important as introduction to the game. The lore dump would be something like stolen lands conquered by blah blah in the year of fake madeup name by blah blah now ruled by ducs and erls blah i.e shit probably hidden behind colored tags.

Watch it again. It's not just the commander who talks. For example, why would we need or want to know who the Aldori Swordlords are at this stage? Why bore the player with a bunch of talk about Tartuccio? I get it, the bard girl is supposed to talk a lot because she's a bard. But that's why you don't put her in the introduction right after the player sits through 10 minutes of exposition. All of this talking is just silly at the beginning of a game, especially when it's just exposition.

Oh, and it doesn't help the guy playing didn't even fucking ask the most important question in the whole introduction: how do we split the land and title?

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Because they're someone who rule shit you're going to rule?
Because that's your first villain so you get some phrases?

It's not just the commander who talks
oh no

All of this talking is just silly at the beginning of a game, especially when it's just exposition
Where the fuck do you put exposition but the beginning of the game? :lol:

It's not dwarf with leathery bags of wrinkles, they're actually telling you relevant shit and introduce main characters.

All of this talking is just silly
uninstall.exe POE & Numanuma, I'm afraid you're too contaminated and at this point you'll react like this to anything but TAKE QUEST? > YES/NO (sorry if I triggered you with the unnecessary choice)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom