Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

J1M

Arcane
There are two types of people annoyed by this:
1) alliance players pretending to be horde players against war, because they don't like when the alliance sees losses
I think you overestimate people's mental capacities :lol:
They aren't necessarily conscious of this. It is often framed "as a fan of character x, I really appreciate this complete change of course in personality" or "it never made sense strategically when alliance city x was attacked, the horde should be focusing on health care". :lol:

Or even
Committing genocide or other war crimes in video games is fun as fuck.
Every now and then, for shits and giggles, maybe.
But certainly not as a general guideline if you play a game for months or even years on end. In that case, you are still supposed to somehow identify with your faction - I don't see how else you'd be playing that long.

Alliance player detected. :lol:

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
I am assuming you do not truly identify with genocide and war crimes, even if only in a game. If so, you need help as you are probably one step away from knifing some people in a subway. and should ask yourself where those fantasies come from.

This isn't even like Thanos in Infinity War, his mass-murder plan actually has some reason and made sense - an uncomfortable solution to a real problem (well, until the point when he got all the stones and still went through with it, but that's a different issue).
This is just a killing of thousands (?) of innocents, while at the same time losing a tactical advantage and all of it just out of some "this is pain!" "there's no hope!" emo shit - and that's supposed to be the great leader that you as a player fight for. I might repeat myself here, but I do think this is reason enough to be pissed, though the subscription cancelling is hilarious.

First, i don't identify myself with video games, movies, books or other related media. Second, it's a game who gives a fuck? claiming the moral high ground in games is for faggots.

I am assuming you do not truly identify with genocide and war crimes, even if only in a game
If we are talking about crusaders kings II, Civilization, Stellaris, Master of Orion, Mount and Blade, Hearts of Iron IV, etc.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Committing genocide or other war crimes in video games is fun as fuck.
Every now and then, for shits and giggles, maybe.
But certainly not as a general guideline if you play a game for months or even years on end. In that case, you are still supposed to somehow identify with your faction - I don't see how else you'd be playing that long.

Alliance player detected. :lol:
Okay, now you're just throwing insults!

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The stories were finally released for Good War and Elegy on the main WoW website. Again, the writing would be decent....if it was actually in game.

One of the wisps spun anxiously, jittering with fury. Sylvanas turned a smile toward it. “Stop me, if you can,” she whispered.

The wisp sprang forward alone, whirling straight toward the warchief’s head. She caught it between her hands, and the spirit shrieked with panic. It shimmered, writhing and struggling.

Sylvanas held it up before her eyes, studying it closely. “You wish to defend the living?” she asked.

The wisp’s light flickered with terror.

“Is that all you can dream of now? To protect your descendants?” She cupped her other hand over it, trapping it between her palms. It bounced against her hands, trying to escape. “You did a poor job of it in life. Why should death be any different?”

She squeezed, and the spirit’s power crackled and vanished. When she opened her hands, only blackened dust remained. She wiped off her palms and turned her back to the forest.

Soon, Malfurion. Soon.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
The problem with Sylvanas' schtick is that the Horde Warchief going off the deep-end is a recycled plotline.

The good thing is that Sylvanas' schtick was actually an estabilished character development that took place in, what, 10 expansions since pre-Cataclysm?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am on the side of the #notmywarchief people. The writing is shitty and idiotic and why on earth would my tauren druid want to kill malfurion stormrage and burn the world tree?

Also it's not really fun to be the official "evil side" of an expansion now. Plus it all feels like MoP 2.0

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
If I recall correctly, the bulk of horde druids were sent south under the guise of healing Silithus and don’t know what happened. Plus, Sylvanas does bring up a decent point - so long as there is a stalemate, there can be no lasting peace due to the bad blood and the next war will be fought with azerite, which is the Warcraft equivalent of nuclear weapons(that also mentally influences users). Better to attack and obtain a decisive victory when the alliance does not have the ships to transport its armies. Once the alliance is broken apart, peace can be made with each individual faction.

It is not stellar logic, but it is better than I expected. Also, Sylvanas is potentially lying to the Horde because her true aim may be to take stormwind anyway.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can live with attacking in general, but basically commiting genocide to the night elves is just utterly evil and in no way "morally grey" as blizzard wants us to believe. Also sylvanas dialogue is cartoonishly evil and cringy ;)

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
The dialogue is terrible, but Sylvanas plan was ruined by Elune, who paralyzed Saurfang before he could kill Malfurion. She goes to plan B, which is cause as much pain to the Alliance at the siege of the undercity to take advantage of Anduin’s shitty tactics. Hence she plagues it in the end to kill as many alliance leaders as possible. She did not count on Jaina to save their asses, otherwise the alliance would have been demolished.

There are hints that entities or forces in the background are trying to kill Sylvanas. Hence he “miracles” and divine interventions.

A horse of course

The dialogue is terrible, but Sylvanas plan was ruined by Elune, who paralyzed Saurfang before he could kill Malfurion. She goes to plan B, which is cause as much pain to the Alliance at the siege of the undercity to take advantage of Anduin’s shitty tactics. Hence she plagues it in the end to kill as many alliance leaders as possible. She did not count on Jaina to save their asses, otherwise the alliance would have been demolished.

There are hints that entities or forces in the background are trying to kill Sylvanas. Hence he “miracles” and divine interventions.

This is completely irrelevent in any case because it not only takes place "outside" the game, it directly conflicts with what happened in-game - so within the same week we already have multiple "canonical" versions of the same event. It's entirely typical of Blizzard's fucking retarded approach to storytelling and every single year they promise they won't do it again. It's honestly amazing how writing across the entire company is absolutely atrocious on every single level - plot, dialogue, actual delivery etc.

edit: I forgot that this is also one of the reasons people were coming up with convoluted Old God false-flag conspiracy theories during the public beta, pointing out Alliance and Horde quests contradicting each other. As usual, they were just forgetting that you can never underestimate how fucking dumb Blizzard are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

This is completely irrelevent in any case because it not only takes place "outside" the game, it directly conflicts with what happened in-game - so within the same week we already have multiple "canonical" versions of the same event. It's entirely typical of Blizzard's fucking retarded approach to storytelling and every single year they promise they won't do it again. It's honestly amazing how writing across the entire company is absolutely atrocious on every single level - plot, dialogue, actual delivery etc.

edit: I forgot that this is also one of the reasons people were coming up with convoluted Old God false-flag conspiracy theories during the public beta, pointing out Alliance and Horde quests contradicting each other. As usual, they were just forgetting that you can never underestimate how fucking dumb Blizzard are.
I don't disagree. It is odd to put it politely. My only guess is that the quest and cinematics were all made well before the books and/or the actual writers caught up.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The upset horde players should try rolling an undead and actually reading any of the quests. It was played up a bit more with the Cata rewrite of the old world but was there in vanilla too. Newsflash: the Forsaken were always unambiguously evil in the sense of war crimes, chemical warfare, and weird experimentation on prisoners.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
People should stop being pussies and embrace this, a story needs conflict and this is fine. Some people are really emotionally invested in the NE starting zone, so this goes double for them. Blizzard have been criticized for lack of faction conflict in WoW since like vanilla and when they finally unambigiously create conflict (which they've been setting up Sylvanas to do since vanilla), they backtrack and cry evil. This is the perfect opportunity to explore some tough morality themes, how will you react when your leaders go against what you believe and maybe even force you to do it? Will you change your views because of this? Will you play devil's advocate or even support them? Why?

I'm sure Blizzard will somehow ruin this, however, so don't get your hopes up.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
This is the perfect opportunity to explore some tough morality themes, how will you react when your leaders go against what you believe and maybe even force you to do it? Will you change your views because of this? Will you play devil's advocate or even support them? Why?
What is Mists of Pandaria, Alex?

Generic-Giant-Spider

At the very least, Sylvanas is providing some fun and thrills to the boring, dull faction war. I still think she's a really dumb character that is beloved by people that still listen to Cradle of Filth in their 20s and homely Wiccan girls that think tarot readings are real but I'll take her over that pussy Thrall or the troll who did as much as a paraplegic on a paramedic team.

A horse of course

Didn't play Pandaria, no idea what you are talking about.

He's saying this is exactly what happened in Mists of Pandaria with Garrosh and the Darkspear Uprising.

The upset horde players should try rolling an undead and actually reading any of the quests. It was played up a bit more with the Cata rewrite of the old world but was there in vanilla too. Newsflash: the Forsaken were always unambiguously evil in the sense of war crimes, chemical warfare, and weird experimentation on prisoners.

I played Forsaken in vanilla and this is only half-true. If you look at the Tirisfal Glades quests, for example, there are a mix of evil quests (usually the plague quests for the RAS) but also neutral/grey quests (the Agamand Mills revenge quest) and unambiguously good quests (retrieving items of sentimental value, protecting graves where the questgiver was shown to have altruistic motivations beyond keeping them from the Scourge).

That matches the primary themes of the Forsaken in vanilla, which were tragedy, sentiment and spite towards the past, revenge, and anxiety about their future. But with multiple writers of varying ability who clearly can't communicate with each other, you just get a giant fucking mess of a faction.

Sylvanas herself had this problem - the writers were clearly trying to make her "complex" but ended up with conflicting portrayals throughout the game and supplementary materials. Her relationship with the Blood Elves, for example, has canonically flip-flopped between genuine concern and a sense of responsibility (during the Burning Crusade Metzen specifically stated she loved Quel'Thalas and considered the Blood Elves "her people", even saying it was the Blood Elves taking advantage of that), and literally threatening to fuck them over if they don't do what she wants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentinel

Arcane
It constantly amazes me that people still take Blizzard stories seriously as if they don't already know that by the end it'll be revealed "IT WAS OLD GODS ALL ALONG LOL". I mean, it's been going on like this since vanilla.

Hopefully by the end of the next expac they nuke the entirety of Azeroth as she uses her titan soul to kill all the Old Gods and all the players have to migrate to a new planet, and they take this opportunity to do an overhaul of the progression system and scale back max level because shit's getting retarded.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't understand Horde players who want their side to be the same as Alliance. Warcraft Orcs are gay as shit in general

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They got rid of the permanent Infernal / Doomguard pets and Destro can't even summon a Doomguard anymore (not sure if any spec can). :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom