Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
idk. I've gotten jack shit from opening packs except for wild cards. Not sure how many people are going to spend real money to buy packs when the return rate is so terrible. Now, a large part has to do with all the great stuff you start with in the beta which makes it very hard to pull something that improves your deck from packs. But I also wonder how much fun it will be in the real release when you start with a couple of packs of Core 2019 and a starter.

I'm starting to save my gold for drafting, next time there's a Dominaria draft. You don't get wild cards but it seems llke a slightly better return otherwise.

Ive spent a grand total of 5 dollars, have a top tier deck, am participating in a competitive constructed (have already got my gold back) and have 9k gold in the bank. Im missing about 5-7 cards needed to craft 2 more top tier decks.

Also i havent even unlocked all the free decks yet

dont get me wrong its a TCG cash grab, but as far as WoTC go, its surprisingly fair

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I'm having loads of fun with a post-rotation ready Muldrotha deck. If you have enough cards and love janky techy decks, Muldrotha is a blast to play.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Ive spent a grand total of 5 dollars, have a top tier deck, am participating in a competitive constructed (have already got my gold back) and have 9k gold in the bank. Im missing about 5-7 cards needed to craft 2 more top tier decks.

dont get me wrong its a TCG cash grab, but as far as WoTC go, its surprisingly fair

Yes but you aren't going to start with all that booty in the real release. It will be expensive to build a top tier Standard deck then for constructed. Wild cards will make it less expensive than paper Magic in terms of packs you need to open, but I doubt I will find spending real money on packs worthwhile.

Draft might be better.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected

Yes but you aren't going to start with all that booty in the real release. It will be expensive to build a top tier Standard deck then for constructed. Wild cards will make it less expensive than paper Magic in terms of packs you need to open, but I doubt I will find spending real money on packs worthwhile.

Draft might be better.

Is that official, or pointless speculation

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yes, WotC wants you to have fun! Here you go, have a full playset of Kaladesh block mythics and rares, as well as full playsets of the 5 best constructed tournament cards in the format!

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Yes, WotC wants you to have fun! Here you go, have a full playset of Kaladesh block mythics and rares, as well as full playsets of the 5 best constructed tournament cards in the format!

Ah pointless speculation. Gotcha

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
nah, they said that after the wipe you get the gems you bought back and nothing else

Jason Liang

Arcane
And you'll get five new Core 2019 packs from the Welcome package.

Don't get me wrong, the rate is a lot cheaper than paper Magic as well. Gems --> Packs, $3.99 --> 750 gems --> almost 4 packs, so roughly about $1/ pack, + a free wildcard (per 3 packs). But you'll need to bust open a lot of packs to get playsets of even basic commons and uncommons from across 8 different sets.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
nah, they said that after the wipe you get the gems you bought back and nothing else

Nobody is claiming you keep what you have. I'm saying that if the system stays as is, it's very fair.

If i get my gems back, we still have the same quest rewards, and the system as a whole stays pretty much the same, I'll be in exactly the same spot once beta ends. It took me literally one day to get my deck together

Edit: purely with wildcards btw. I didnt get a single lucky drop

Edit again: if they change he rewards then all of this is moot. You require those free rares and mythic they give you to be able to do this. But that's a separate argument

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

Nobody is claiming you keep what you have. I'm saying that if the system stays as is, it's very fair.

If i get my gems back, we still have the same quest rewards, and the system as a whole stays pretty much the same, I'll be in exactly the same spot once beta ends. It took me literally one day to get my deck together

Edit: purely with wildcards btw. I didnt get a single lucky drop

Edit again: if they change he rewards then all of this is moot. You require those free rares and mythic they give you to be able to do this. But that's a separate argument
what i meant it i don't think they'll give all those aether revolt cards, and also they've given a shitload of free boosters because of this ir that reason. As far as I understand, post wipe you get the gems and boosters you bought, the basic decks and that's it. And considering the rumors that the wipe will come after the Standard rotation, the basic decks will probably be failry different.

I agree that the system is fair btw, all I really care about is drafting, and I can do that pretty easily and without spending a dime unless I want to.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Hm. Would they really not include Kaladesh in the final game though? They've already spent the effort to program all those cards.

And most of the cards I like best too:(

Speaking of which -

Version 6
4 Spire of Industry (AER) 184
4 Aether Hub (KLD) 242
9 Island (RIX) 193
1 Sai, Master Thopterist (M19) 69
1 Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp (DAR) 76
1 Swamp (RIX) 194
4 Paradoxical Outcome (KLD) 60
1 Inventors' Fair (KLD) 247
2 Negate (AER) 40
2 Cogworker's Puzzleknot (KLD) 201
3 Metallic Rebuke (AER) 39
1 Whir of Invention (AER) 49
3 Navigator's Compass (DAR) 225
1 Pacification Array (AER) 168
1 Walking Ballista (AER) 181
1 Battle at the Bridge (AER) 53
2 Reverse Engineer (AER) 42
2 Ornithopter (AER) 167
3 Renegade Map (AER) 173
1 Inspiring Statuary (AER) 160
2 Prophetic Prism (KLD) 229
1 Baral's Expertise (AER) 29
2 Fireforger's Puzzleknot (KLD) 213
2 Foundry Inspector (KLD) 215
1 Prying Blade (XLN) 244
1 Lifecraft Awakening (AER) 112
1 Forest (RIX) 196
1 Baral, Chief of Compliance (AER) 28
2 Essence Scatter (M19) 54

Just some more refining.

a) I realized there's really no reason not to play Baral. He makes Paradoxical Outcome and Baral's Expertise cheaper, which is huge for the deck and so he's basically a 2 mana Inspiring Statuary, and he also makes a good Outcome target since he's non-artifact which means you can cast him with Improvise with Statuary out.

b) Also realized that nearly every win condition in this format is a creature so I put in two Essence Scatters (and to also go with Baral). Would probably go up to 3 of each Essence Scatter and Negate if I had room.

c) To make room I cut the Scroungers. Although they sometimes help me win, they've been useless when I lose. Although thinking about it I think they would make a good combo with Baral, but the combo isn't worth it to put them back in (probably).

d) Prying Blade has been situationally useful just like Pacification Array.

e) Lifecraft Awakening has been pretty awesome every time I've casted it. Good to win out of nowhere card.

Deck is doing pretty good now and Essence Scatter has always been immensely helpful, although I wonder if it's the quality of opponents I'm facing since I went on a pretty bad losing streak yesterday. Not entirely the deck's fault, just mana screw and interface error issues leading to timeouts and such.

Also I wildcarded a Metamorphic Alteration to test, and it's been awesome. And goes in many decks as well. What can I say? I love green the most but I spent almost all my rare wildcards on blue cards...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Got 5 wins in my first competitive constructed run. The garbage competition def makes going infinite easier

Jason Liang

Arcane
So I opened up 9 packs of Ankhmonet and got:
1 Samut
1 Bontu
1 Angel of Sanctions
1 Mythic wild card
1 Rare wild card
1 Vizier of Many Faces

In fact, I pulled all four mythics consecutively.

Hm.

And I can't really say packs haven't been good to me anymore since I had previously pulled a Mythic wild card, a Liliana and a Vivien Reid from free Core 2019 packs and a bunch of nice rare red spells that unfortunately I don't need.

Version 7

4 Aether Hub (KLD) 242
9 Island (RIX) 193
2 Negate (AER) 40
2 Cogworker's Puzzleknot (KLD) 201
2 Metallic Rebuke (AER) 39
2 Ornithopter (AER) 167
3 Renegade Map (AER) 173
1 Baral's Expertise (AER) 29
1 Fireforger's Puzzleknot (KLD) 213
1 Foundry Inspector (KLD) 215
1 Baral, Chief of Compliance (AER) 28
2 Essence Scatter (M19) 54
1 Metamorphic Alteration (M19) 60
1 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Bomat Courier (KLD) 199
1 Banefire (M19) 130
2 Metalspinner's Puzzleknot (KLD) 221
1 Swamp (RIX) 194
Getting your X spell countered sucks so i ended up going with Banefire as the X spell win condition. Also added Bomat Couriers and Metalspinner's Puzzleknot to help with cheap early game draw. Bomat doesn't work well with Paradoxical Outcome but if you have a loaded Bomat and drew a Paradoxical Outcome you're probably doing pretty well. The deck is already designed to empty the hand so Bomat is like a mini- Wheel of Fortune.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Jason Liang
Slap a bunch of Karns on that bad boy and you're set. If you want to capitalize on winning with Banefire, I quite liked Pyramid of the Pantheon as a slow but sure mana boost for Torment of Hailfire.
I don't have anything productive to add, so let me just say that I keep misreading that one artifact name as Meatspinner's Puzzleknot.

Personally, I feel a little burned out and I am just waiting for the final wipe so I can start playing 'for realz'.
It feels like most of the guys have full collections and I am facing the same cookie cutter top8 decks all the time,
I even dropped my ranked to silver to see if it helps, but hot a lot seems to have changed aside from meeting
obvious nublets from time to time.

I tried the brewer's delight event, seems to be casual-oriented, but the decks I encountered didn't seem so.
Still, the rewards are quite generous. Got two metalwork colossi. I was quite a fan of those as an artifact deck wincon but then Karn came around.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Jason Liang
Slap a bunch of Karns on that bad boy and you're set. If you want to capitalize on winning with Banefire, I quite liked Pyramid of the Pantheon as a slow but sure mana boost for Torment of Hailfire.

You are right, the version that won the Dutch Nationals a few days ago ran Karn as an alternate WC.

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/mono-blue-storm-in-standard/

Although I personally despise the Crane, and can't imagine playing without Reverse Engineering for enough card draw.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I pulled off a Reservoir combo kill! Went from 2 life to 60 life in one turn and blasted my opponent to -29. Paying 50 life to deal 50 damage is still a stupid way of doing things but still kind of cool.

And Karn's been beastly if fragile. I suppose that's why one plays with several copies.

Version 8
4 Aether Hub (KLD) 242
10 Island (RIX) 193
2 Negate (AER) 40
1 Cogworker's Puzzleknot (KLD) 201
2 Metallic Rebuke (AER) 39
3 Ornithopter (AER) 167
2 Renegade Map (AER) 173
2 Baral's Expertise (AER) 29
1 Foundry Inspector (KLD) 215
1 Metamorphic Alteration (M19) 60
1 Mountain (RIX) 195
1 Banefire (M19) 130
1 Swamp (RIX) 194
1 Reckless Fireweaver (KLD) 126
1 Chromium, the Mutable (M19) 214
1 Plains (RIX) 192
1 Aetherflux Reservoir (KLD) 192
1 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
1 Metalwork Colossus (KLD) 222
1 Mox Amber (DAR) 224
2 Metalspinner's Puzzleknot (KLD) 221

MTGA001.png

The Banefire win condition.

mtga002.png

The Aetherflux Reservoir and/or Reckless Fireweaver win condition.

mtga003.png

This was a case of comboing from 1 life.

mtga004.png

I'm starting to get the feeling that Aetherflux Reservoir doesn't even need a combo. It's just a horrifically OP 4cc win condition in any deck with cheap spells and cheap draw.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
This is the current Post-Rotation Muldrotha deck I'm playing with. It loses to aggro that really curves out well and too quickly, if it can hold on long enough it can beat aggro easily once stabilized, wins against control if you manage to keep going and finally manage to let a Muldrotha stick, can win or lose to combo depending on the hand/interaction:

4 Elvish Rejuvenator (M19) 180
4 Seekers' Squire (XLN) 121
3 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
3 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148
3 Ravenous Chupacabra (RIX) 82
2 Kitesail Freebooter (XLN) 110
2 Grow from the Ashes (DAR) 164
2 Phyrexian Scriptures (DAR) 100
2 Muldrotha, the Gravetide (DAR) 199
1 Tatyova, Benthic Druid (DAR) 206
1 Llanowar Scout (DAR) 170
1 The Mending of Dominaria (DAR) 173
1 Gravedigger (AKH) 93
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Liliana, the Necromancer (M19) 291
1 Orazca Relic (RIX) 181
1 Banefire (M19) 130
1 Demon of Catastrophes (M19) 91
1 Thallid Soothsayer (DAR) 107
1 Nicol Bolas, the Ravager (M19) 218

1 Memorial to Genius (DAR) 243
1 Memorial to Unity (DAR) 245
1 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
1 Memorial to War (DAR) 246
4 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
1 Evolving Wilds (RIX) 186
1 Arch of Orazca (RIX) 185
2 Foul Orchard (M19) 251
2 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
4 Swamp (RIX) 194
1 Island (RIX) 193
4 Forest (RIX) 196
1 Mountain (RIX) 195

it's silly of course, but it's a lot of fun
i feel like i should make space for a search for azcanta

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
So is it actually good vs anything or just good fun vs other fundeck?

I tried to build a Muldrotha deck once but it always disappointed me how fucking hopeless it felt vs. Tereferi or Scarab Dog, pretty much anything that is control and competitive.
If you care for a page from my book, at least two Torgaar, Famine Incarnates were instrumental to improve the aggro matchup as they kept me away from burn range. They are fed nicely by the Reuvenators, though I used Dusk Legion Zealots to burn through the deck faster.
I think it's a natural stand in for Demon of Catastrophies.
Unbridled Growth is a card I'd use as a 1x or 2x. It does a lot of tiny little things and is awesome value with Muldrotha on board.

I'd use a full set of Kitesails and two Eldest Reborns
Phyrexian Scriptures felt a bit on the slow side to me, but I recognize it as a necessary, reusable evil. I tend to favor Wanking Ballistae, also one more artifact to pull.
Not sure about Gravedigger, unless you want more backup for getting Muldrotha, if so, I had better luck with Memorials.
Also, not sure what The Mending of Dominaria is there for, other than ramping for a big ass banefire

Jason Liang

Arcane
I am also inspired to make a Muldrotha although it's a tough choice since I'm down to 2 mythic rare wild cards and would also like to get a Teferi.

For me Muldrotha's best ability is being able to cast Plainswalkers from the graveyard. There are very few ways to recur Plainswalkers and Muldrotha is the best way to do it. So I would run as many Plainswalkers as possible, even going into white for Dovin Baan, Teferi and Ajani Unyielding. Then I would look at permanents that reduce casting costs. Goreclaw can reduce Muldrotha, as can Jhoira's Familiar. Foundry Inspector reduces artifacts, Danitha reduces Auras, Oath of Ajani reduces Plainswalkers. I would definitely play with at least one Inspiring Statuary. A Transmogrifying Wand to blow up creatures. Baral's Expertise + a 4cc Plainswalker is a great combo.

The other cards I've seen in Muldrotha builds are Hope of Ghirapur to lock the opponent to casting creatures only and Siren Stormtamer to protect your other permanents. In addition to Sagas, you can also play some of the better Auras since you can always recast them when Muldortha hits. Serra's Wings, Bola's Clutches, Curator's Ward, etc...

In terms of Sagas, one obvious play is Fall of Thran to Armageddon their lands. Not only can you play lands out of your graveyard, since the lands come back on your turn, you get to cast your spells while your opponent really only gets one turn with their land before you can Armageddon again. You can also combo with Remorseful Cleric to remove their graveyard, including their lands.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
So is it actually good vs anything or just good fun vs other fundeck?

I tried to build a Muldrotha deck once but it always disappointed me how fucking hopeless it felt vs. Tereferi or Scarab Dog, pretty much anything that is control and competitive.
If you care for a page from my book, at least two Torgaar, Famine Incarnates were instrumental to improve the aggro matchup as they kept me away from burn range. They are fed nicely by the Reuvenators, though I used Dusk Legion Zealots to burn through the deck faster.
I think it's a natural stand in for Demon of Catastrophies.
Unbridled Growth is a card I'd use as a 1x or 2x. It does a lot of tiny little things and is awesome value with Muldrotha on board.

I'd use a full set of Kitesails and two Eldest Reborns
Phyrexian Scriptures felt a bit on the slow side to me, but I recognize it as a necessary, reusable evil. I tend to favor Wanking Ballistae, also one more artifact to pull.
Not sure about Gravedigger, unless you want more backup for getting Muldrotha, if so, I had better luck with Memorials.
Also, not sure what The Mending of Dominaria is there for, other than ramping for a big ass banefire
as i said, it's my "post-rotation" deck, after the wipe and standard rotation, so scarab god won't be a problem anymore. phyrexian scriptures help a lot against graveyard based tactics though

mending of dominaria lets you pick up the chupacabras and other stuff, ideally you cast rejuvenator, get to 5, use it to block, cast mending, take back a rejuvenator or chupacabra from the graveyard once or twice and stabilize while building your mana base

again, i'm not an expert, i tried several builds and this is the one that works the best for me up to know. Gravedigger might seem redundant but it allows more resilience vs decks with lots and lots of removal (there's some paranoid people out there playing 4x fumigate 4x seal away etc.)

spectre

Arcane
Well, the good thing is when the deck still comes toghether even if Muldrotha is not on board. But yeah, people have gotten way too many exile effects (I'm thinking, Vraska's Contempt and Doomfall, Seal Away bothers me slightly less because
I tend not to attack with Muldrotha if there's white mana open).
I had a good time with Torgaar, because he closes the game in two swings, no matter what lifegain bollocks they pull. Though he really needs to be backed but a bit of discard.

Yeah, the scriptures is all right in that it serves a double role (and boy do those GPG decks annoy me to no end), just saying it takes forever for the right effect to trigger. I ended up favoring Never // Return because
it was right where I needed it on the mana curve and also takes out planeswankers.

I am also inspired to make a Muldrotha although it's a tough choice since I'm down to 2 mythic rare wild cards and would also like to get a Teferi.
For me Muldrotha's best ability is being able to cast Plainswalkers from the graveyard. There are very few ways to recur Plainswalkers and Muldrotha is the best way to do it.
If that's up your alley, I am quite partial to Eldest Reborn, a high value card even if it only hits 2 of its 3 chapters.
Though when it comes to spending WC, I'd rather get a Vraska or Rekindling Phoenix.
Muldrotha is a bit niche, perhaps it can be gotten from that Brewer's Delight thing?

The other cards I've seen in Muldrotha builds are Hope of Ghirapur to lock the opponent to casting creatures only and Siren Stormtamer to protect your other permanents. In addition to Sagas, you can also play some of the better Auras since you can always recast them when Muldortha hits. Serra's Wings, Bola's Clutches, Curator's Ward, etc...
I've seen that one, found it a bit meh without something to haste it. Though if you want a toolbox of sexy singles in your graveyard, I'd use that black tutor which puts one into your hand and the other into the graveyard (can't be arsed to look up the name).
It's also pretty cool if you can pull a Liliana + Muldrotha next turn.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I put together the deck and tried a few games. A little too much control than what I was imagining, although I did manage to get 5 of 6 planeswalkers out one game (Dovin, Karn, Nissa, Teferi and Ajani) through Inspiring Statuary. Also managed to pull off Fumigate --> The Eldest Reborn to kill a Chandra. I can see that recycling sagas every turn like Eldest Reborn and Fall of Thran is nuts. Even if Muldortha is killed, if they cannot remove Eldest Reborn, it will summon Muldortha back by itself, and then Muldortha can recast it immediately.

You'd think Muldortha would fit a self-mill strategy like Explore, but draw is so cheap in this environment that you might as well just draw everything and not durdle with self-mill mechanics.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, it's not really reanimation, you don't care about dumping the entire library. It's more of getting more value from the shit you've already played, or tried to play. I think the deck operates best with such a mindset cause if you find yourself too reliant on on Muldrotha, xe always gets countered, exiled or whatevered.

Also Scruffy, I think you get more value from Hostage takers rather than the chupas, they need to live a bit to claim ther bounty, but I'm finding it invaluable that they can hit artifacts, whereas the chupa sometimes sits there worthless. I end up replacing all but one of them with Wraska's Contempt and/or Never//Return for that reason, even if it means losing some Muldrotha activations.

EDITH:
Anyways, if anyone's interested, here's a variant of the artifacts storm thing I've been playing with. It shits very nicely on all the mono green I've been encountering. The plan was to make it work with minimal WC spending and it looks like it does. Managed above 75% win rate today, but some of that was due to opponents being shit, wasting their abrades on my Cranes and whatnot. I guess the archetype is not yet too popular and some people just don't have a clue what to expect whent they see Island / Renegade Map.

On my end, it lets me diddle with the Moxen I pulled from Dominaria packs which makes me happy.

18 Island (RIX) 193

3 Mox Amber (DAR) 224
4 Ornithopter (AER) 167
4 Prophetic Prism (KLD) 229
2 Manalith (M19) 239
4 Renegade Map (AER) 173

1 Paradoxical Outcome (KLD) 60
1 Commit /// Memory (AKH) 211

2 Aetherflux Reservoir (KLD) 192
2 Inspiring Statuary (AER) 160
1 Paradox Engine (AER) 169

4 Reverse Engineer (AER) 42
4 Glint-Nest Crane (KLD) 50

2 River's Rebuke (XLN) 71
3 Baral's Expertise (AER) 29

3 Sai, Master Thopterist (M19) 69
2 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1

I should probably get one more Inspiring Statuary and Paradox engine, but I can't be bothered to spend wildcards there, so I'd rather get more draw. I like to see Statuary turn up early-ish, so I think this one's getting priority, and I am happy just to draw Paradox Engine naturally when the combo's all ready to go.
Paradoxical outcome is... paradoxical, I'd really want a second one cause it's great draw, but I keep making do without ever seeing the single one I have.

Sai is a surprisingly versatile motherlover, quite resilient at 1/4, don't be afraid to sack some expendable shit cause that one card may jumpstart your engine. If you can make him stick, this usually means a metric fuckton of copters on your side of the table. I was even able to chumpblock Carnage Tyrants with them.

Karn usually just makes dudes for the first two turns then get killed off quickly. Not that I care, these dudes quickly grow to ridiculous sizes and I often win by just going for a lethal after a River's Rebuke. That card's been invaluable. Comes out really fast with Inspring Statuary and usually grinds the other deck to a halt for two-three turns. You really need 5-6 board sweeps vs aggro imo, and the current package does that.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
I decided to go nearly creatureless in my Muldortha, besides 4X Riddleform and a Heart of Kiran. Pretty nice blanking a lot of removal, including Chucabras and opposing Fumigates. Figured the only time I actually care about having creatures is when Muldortha's in play. Riddleform's pretty nice with Teferi since if you have no play you can use the mana to scry. Still making a lot of play mistakes with this deck but it's pretty forgiving when you have a fistful of Fumigates and Baral's Expertise.

If you use Muldortha to cast a fresh Muldortha from your graveyard, you get fresh recasts on everything right?

Pulled a Chromium from a Core 2019 pack, now I have two. Took Chromium out of my Paradoxical Outcome and replaced him with Teferi. Hm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom