Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
it's pretty obvious they'll go through the expansions if enough people play on them.

And which expansion will they stop at?

The only logical one is Wrath of the Lich King. But should they go through expansions? Why not just keep it classic? Flying mounts is arguably one of the reasons WoW declined due to killing world PVP.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They won't stop at any expansion. They'll go through the expansions until they hit retail, if it ever hits retail, depending on how frequently they'll move onto the next expansion. They won't "keep it classic" because people will farm Naxx for 6 months and leave, making the realms ghost towns and the whole effort practically wasted. The question is not "will they move on to the next expansion" (they will if there are enough people to justify it), it's "will they open new classic realms when the old ones move on".

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
They won't stop at any expansion. They'll go through the expansions until they hit retail, if it ever hits retail, depending on how frequently they'll move onto the next expansion. They won't "keep it classic" because people will farm Naxx for 6 months and leave, making the realms ghost towns and the whole effort practically wasted. The question is not "will they move on to the next expansion" (they will if there are enough people to justify it), it's "will they open new classic realms when the old ones move on".

Why not make more "classic" raids?

Instead of going to Burning Crusade... why not make whole new raids within the classic servers? More 40 mans with insanity.

Blizz already introduced weird time travel shit in the story. Make the classic servers a alternate time line.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They'll have to make an entire new team and it's a pipe dream, especially since they already have content they can release. And a theme park MMO like WoW has to move on with the levels, otherwise it becomes exceedingly difficult for new people to join in, or gear up alts. And even hardcore vanilla players stop playing a few months after Naxx releases and hop onto the next private server de jour. Along with other problems, like vanilla not having any incentive to log in besides raiding at one point. Vanilla has too many dubious design choices and it needs to move on to greener pastures, namely TBC. So, yeah, I'm 99.99999999999999% certain they'll move on with the expansions if the player base justifies it.

hivemind

srsly the game is good but active RP servers are like the MAIN lure of blizz classic compared to just playing on some of the current private server ones

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
After all the private servers i went through, i can't even imagine what's it like to play the game without getting ganged by 60s with tier 2 gear as a low level scrub anymore.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
e8NojPe.png

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Thankfully, they came to their senses..

They have to because current WoW is probably at an all times low subscription.

Watch Classic overtaking current live wow in number of people playing it, and if new content will arrive for classic, it will kill the other WoW.

In the end the only one that killed WoW will be Blizzard, with a WoW version from 15 years ago, poetic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Classic will be an interesting experiment if nothing else. I really don't know what to expect in terms of its popularity.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Classic will be an interesting experiment if nothing else. I really don't know what to expect in terms of its popularity.

I like that they also said they won't close the servers, the early WoW to me feels like an enhanced version of Diablo 2, with talents and skills ripped out of d2, WoW just had a lot more to do than d2.

It's funny how back at the time i considered WoW rip off of Diablo 2 and called Blizzard lazy for doing it....... while now I'm praising that they are bringing the old gameplay lol

hivemind

cope

burning crusade was peak of the game

vanilla raids get mogged by bc ones as does pvp and overall lategame content

Revenant

TBC had flying mounts, blood elves in the horde and welfare tokens by the time of the Isle of Quel'Danas, though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Who cares about welfare epics when most guilds couldn't even kill Vashj (or get to higher than 1600 rating) before WotLK came around. Not to mention that I think they weren't that many, you couldn't fill up all your slots with epic gear from tokens, at least as far as I remember. There's also the epic pvp gear you could get with honor when the second season rolled around, but that was extremely tedious. It also depends on what you mean by welfare. Are the Cenarion Hold items in vanilla welfare? If so, why? Why not?

Flying was a bad idea in general, not because of lack of world pvp, but because it made the map trivial. I don't care either way, however, strutting around the map is not what you do 90% of the time. Isle of Quel'Danas began the obsession with dailies that you couldn't brute force your way through (with gold) and being forced to log every day is not my idea of good design, it's non-elegant. I don't actually remember what was the point of doing those dailies.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Oh, it is indeed shit. It's more like daycare with activities than anything else.

Revenant

Yet you watch this thread like your life depended on it. Admit it, you're going to play WoW Classic on day one

hivemind

I don't actually remember what was the point of doing those dailies.
I usually didnt bother doing them and just gassed other people who were trying to do them

it felt good

killing the poor trying to earn a living wage

best time of my life

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom