Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty Pleasure RPGs?

Reinhardt

Arcane
None. All the WRPGs I like, Codex Consensus also likes. All of the WRPGs I hate the codex also hates, sans the storyfaggots here.

An exception would be some JRPGs, which codex mostly doesn't approve of. But that's probably more out of ignorance than anything as JRPG can be very diverse, while many just assume they're all the same animu puke braindead dumbed down basic turn-based cutesy crap.
You say "animu puke braindead dumbed down basic turn-based cutesy crap" like it's something bad.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I've never been guilty about games I like because I don't give a shit what people think.

One RPG I hold in extremely high regard that most people here don't know about or don't care for is Siege of Avalon.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
West of Loathing for me lately. It's basically a flash game, but despite the very basic gameplay it's actually pretty fun (and funny). Exploration is great with lots of secrets to find and an occasional puzzle to solve.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Got it on sale dirt cheap years ago and played for 1-2 hours a day for several weeks. While it is mediocre and delves into "a lot of wasted potential" territory, I really dug what it could have been. Fate/class gimmick was good enough, story was easy to follow (or ignore) and it didn't get in the way, factions were a joke and so were most quests. But combat was entertaining enough for semi-console popamole trash.
It's one of a few games (or maybe the only one?) where you can go fucking banana with chakram so it's obviously :incline:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I spend way more time with Gothic3 than Skyrim (more than 150h* vs 2h).
Also - Planet Alcatraz. Silly, full of loot, stealing, pillaging and content.

*I guess, don't have detailed time because XFire died with all my proofs of guilt of time wasted.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
West of Loathing for me lately. It's basically a flash game, but despite the very basic gameplay it's actually pretty fun (and funny). Exploration is great with lots of secrets to find and an occasional puzzle to solve.
I don't see how this is a guilty pleasure.
It is hands down a great game (if you like the humor).

That it isn't the most mechanically complex or even remotely balanced RPG simply doesn't matter, as it is first and foremost a comedy game.

bataille

Arcane
Dungeon Lords.

Speaking of which, I think it is time again...

But Dungeon Lords is legit a great game. It's the kind of game a passionate person makes on no budget, and it alone warrants good will towards it. It's a charming, uniquely atmospheric (in the weird and unsettling sense of the word as opposed to 'immersive') mess of ideas and mechanics. Dungeon design is very memorable--without any buts. Not as good as wizards & warriors but still very solid.

In other words, 10 out of 10 + a participation award.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Path of Exile. And several other diablo2-clones, they're all about repetitive grind in the end, making them bad games - the main thing going for them is that they're addictive. Still, I like them so I suppose it fits.

The issue with liking Oblivion is not that people like it. Anyone can like whatever the hell he wants. The problem starts when one starts to claim that it's a good game because he likes it, and for some reason many people are unable to accept that they might like something of poor quality.
I remember you saying that action RPG is the less prestigious genre. Now I can see where it came from.
:hmmm:
I also remember adding a ":smug:" at the end of that post you mention in case some idiots thought I was serious instead of just shitposting. Apparently even that wasn't enough.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Path of Exile. And several other diablo2-clones, they're all about repetitive grind in the end, making them bad games - the main thing going for them is that they're addictive. Still, I like them so I suppose it fits.

The issue with liking Oblivion is not that people like it. Anyone can like whatever the hell he wants. The problem starts when one starts to claim that it's a good game because he likes it, and for some reason many people are unable to accept that they might like something of poor quality.
I remember you saying that action RPG is the less prestigious genre. Now I can see where it came from.
:hmmm:
I also remember adding a ":smug:" at the end of that post you mention in case some idiots thought I was serious instead of just shitposting. Apparently even that wasn't enough.
I also remember adding a :hmmm: at the end of that post you quoted in case some idiots thought I was serious instead of just shitposting. Apparently even that wasn't enough.

Ocelot

Learned
* Oblivion. I like it's world, the overall design, the vibrant color palette, the story's pace, the music and the overall atmosphere. As an RPG it's overhyped and has many other small flaws but it's still very enjoyable nonetheless, especially since it's not 2006 anymore and you know that Oblivion isn't the supreme RPG masterpiece it was supposed to be.

* NWN 1 with Shadows of Undretide. The first pure D&D RPG I played. More or less the same reasons I like Oblivion plus nostalgia because it introduced me to a lot of thing that were unknown to me. Really need to get it on Steam/GOG to play the second expansion sometime.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I have a bit of a soft spot for the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games.

Nothing to be ashamed of there. As far as hack-and-slash action RPGs go, they're pretty great.

Also, bewbs.

latest

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dungeon Lords.

Speaking of which, I think it is time again...

But Dungeon Lords is legit a great game. It's the kind of game a passionate person makes on no budget, and it alone warrants good will towards it. It's a charming, uniquely atmospheric (in the weird and unsettling sense of the word as opposed to 'immersive') mess of ideas and mechanics. Dungeon design is very memorable--without any buts. Not as good as wizards & warriors but still very solid.

In other words, 10 out of 10 + a participation award.
I agree about the atmosphere, that's what draws me in.

But the rest?
The controls are clunky as fuck.
The classes vary radically in how useful they are - any class that requires some material for casting is borderline unplayable, others are hilariously overpowered.
There is zero story, no worldbuilding, maybe a handful of NPCs in the entire world.
The grind is also real.
The monster spawning is totally absurd.
Low budget is no excuse for any of those, it is an objectively bad game that draws some people in due to atmosphere.

Unwanted

Unwanted
not really guilty but i liked alot this game:

a old JRPG style of combat mixed with western art-style,that what's make this game unique.I had not played any JRPG before this game,when i played final fantasy 6 for the first time the first thing i thought is:"This shit plays like that lord of the rings game from ps2 !".

There any other RPG that mix JRPG Dragon quest/Final Fantasy combat with Western art-style(no anime/cartoon) ?

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Should've just named the thread Guilty Pleasure games. I don't really have any guilty pleasure RPGs, Skyrim was fun when I was 13 and so was FO:NV. I fucked with a few MMORPGs as well, but not any more. Some games that I do fuck with though that are definitely guilty pleasures though are first person shooters. Sometimes, nothing hits the spot more than turning on CoD, Killzone, or Battlefield and racking up retarded KDA's on little 12 and 13 year olds. Even Fornite can be fun, though it's a third person battle royale game.

ortucis

Prophet
7 Days To Die - It's a janky early access unfinished minecraft/zombie game with a pretty extensive RPG leveling system. Every time I play it I can't really stop but it feels like junk food because its all so pointless.

I have 96 hours in that game. Been waiting forever for the new update to start a new game, haven't touched it in ages.

I think what keeps 7D2D fun compared to other survival games, is that every night your defenses are tested and every 7 days, it gets even harder with hordes. It gets the difficulty right. Though I do wish they had more varied enemy AI and animations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom