Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Star Traders: Frontiers - space sandbox game by Trese Brothers

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does this game end?

LordofSyn

Scholar
Does this game end?
Only when your Captain dies does the game end. There is no "ending" to the game proper.

Best way to think of it is a ttrpg. There are always stories to tell as long as your character is alive to be part of that story. Each new Captain is a new story and none of them will ever be 100% alike.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
However, from what I have read, there seem to be several main stories that advance through time on their own, whether you participate or not. They have to end eventually, right?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm really proud of these guys. I played their Shadowrun-esque RPG way back when on my shitty android, and now they're still here doing good.

I want them to go back to that idea actually. Not a bad one.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
The game looks really good and all the talk in this thread got me interested.

Is there any info of this game coming to GoG? I would prefer to buy a DRM free version over Steam any day

LordofSyn

Scholar
However, from what I have read, there seem to be several main stories that advance through time on their own, whether you participate or not. They have to end eventually, right?
The galaxy moves on whether you take part in any of the storylines or era arc or not. In the beginning of the game as it stands now, you are tasked with taking an Arbiter to a planet due to a political situation. If you do not pick that arbiter up, she will find another Star Trader to take her. If you do pick her up, but do not make it to your destination in a timely manner, she will get upset and leave the ship to find her own way.
Yes, the galaxy moves on as each Contact has their own personalities and goals as much as Factions overall do.

In the Alpha, they planned for a minimum of 10 eras with each being roughly 10-100 years each or so.
Your Captain and crew do not age while aboard the ship due to the HyperWarp drive engine and the spice products that your crew ingests. It is not unheard of Captains living several centuries.

LordofSyn

Scholar

Is there any info of this game coming to GoG? I would prefer to buy a DRM free version over Steam any day
The Dev team is a two man group. There are no plans to release to Gog. There is no DRM technically in the game and due to the way it is coded and the assets it uses, it can run practically on a potato.
I have a laptop that is about a decade old and it runs fine. It is available on iOS and Linux too. Later, it will also be released on iOS and Android mobile devices.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Moklumnue considers me a Legendary Crime Lord now. All their ships attack on sight, all of their planets refuse every single service, can't even refuel anymore. I guess I should take care of that and find a contact that can restore me.

...but... I don't even care, just fuck those Moklumnues, I am a Legendary Crime Lord!! :mixedemotions:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

The Dev team is a two man group. There are no plans to release to Gog. There is no DRM technically in the game and due to the way it is coded and the assets it uses, it can run practically on a potato.
I have a laptop that is about a decade old and it runs fine. It is available on iOS and Linux too. Later, it will also be released on iOS and Android mobile devices.

Thanks for the prompt answers m8. Buying it on Steam then :)

Mortmal

Arcane
This game looks cool. I'm mainly interested in impactful personality traits and character development.

How well did they deliver on
  • The "personal story" of your custom captain based on chargen decisions? Are there like procedural quests for your guy based on this, or is it just a meaningless text box?
  • Crew development? The kickstarter says something about your crew's personality evolving, and being able to eventually promote scrubs to powerful officers.
  • Everything else re personality traits? Are there 'trait checks' like an Arrogant captain may trigger a different mission outcome than a Humble captain? Do your crew's personalities impact gameplay and story direction?
Its more like the universe dont care of you and just can fit in or not to alter the outcome , with or without you the events will unfold and you have to seize opportunities. There's also zero handholding and wish i had multiclassed all my officers first, best feats are available after only a few levels in each jobs.I dont remember traits giving different quest results but skills certainly do, intimidate , electronics etc .

Last edited:

Morkar Left

So I impulse bought and took a look at the game and man is it overwhelming. Looks great. Is there a manual or beginners' guide somewhere I should know about?

Just browse the wiki and read the lore book. Take talents that negate negative skill checks first. Don't take jobs you're not equipped for.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
There is a Wiki, there is a button where you can ask your officers (its basically tooltips) and there is a thread on Steam called ('100 Tips') which seems nice. And you can always ask your Codexbros. The best thing is to just get going and figure it out, I wouldn't look up too much stuff unless you get stuck. I find the UI is sometimes a little impractical and most of the features I've been missing first I actually 'found' after looking a little more closely.

Edit: My best beginner tips: Run from combat in the beginning and get talents that will help you do so. And don't take too many jobs at once because you won't be able to do them all on time. Have fun!

LordofSyn

Scholar
There is a Wiki, there is a button where you can ask your officers (its basically tooltips) and there is a thread on Steam called ('100 Tips') which seems nice. And you can always ask your Codexbros. The best thing is to just get going and figure it out, I wouldn't look up too much stuff unless you get stuck. I find the UI is sometimes a little impractical and most of the features I've been missing first I actually 'found' after looking a little more closely.

Edit: My best beginner tips: Run from combat in the beginning and get talents that will help you do so. And don't take too many jobs at once because you won't be able to do them all on time. Have fun!
Agreed. There are also Steam Guides and Discussion threads as well as videos which give you some tips and tricks to help. Aside from the Trese Brothers Forums, their Discord is always open and there are always veterans to help in real time.
Happy gaming.

Mortmal

Arcane
So I impulse bought and took a look at the game and man is it overwhelming. Looks great. Is there a manual or beginners' guide somewhere I should know about?
yes you have a direct link to the wiki in the game and also a lorebook.

potential masterpiece, ruined by complete lack of content. in random generated games like this there's just one kind of content: hardware. ships and equipment. ships don't get better, they only get bigger. same for weapons, there's like eight of them, that's it. what's weird is that the ground combat has been clearly stolen from darkest dungeon but it totally lacks its variety, it's common to have two, even three attack skills which do basically the same.
how's mod support? this game desperately needs a 1.13 treatment which could elevate it to one of my favourite games ever from its actual state of mediocrity.

also the interface sucks, buttons scattered everywhere, can't be played just by mouse, you *must* keep the left hand on esc-space bar or navigating through screens is going to take loads of time and effort.

Morkar Left

potential masterpiece, ruined by complete lack of content. in random generated games like this there's just one kind of content: hardware. ships and equipment. ships don't get better, they only get bigger. same for weapons, there's like eight of them, that's it. what's weird is that the ground combat has been clearly stolen from darkest dungeon but it totally lacks its variety, it's common to have two, even three attack skills which do basically the same.
how's mod support? this game desperately needs a 1.13 treatment which could elevate it to one of my favourite games ever from its actual state of mediocrity.

also the interface sucks, buttons scattered everywhere, can't be played just by mouse, you *must* keep the left hand on esc-space bar or navigating through screens is going to take loads of time and effort.

When was the last time you played the game?

Nirvash

Liturgist
Interface is ok, not the best but far from the worst.

But yes, game can get repetitive fast, there are many skill/class/perks but most do the same thing, spy-hunt-patrol-exploring are also the same thing, combat is ok but also easy to master/abuse.
I really like the crew system but they are way too many, just double the perks for everyone and cut the number in half.

The "notdune" setting is also ok but you can do better, chara is fuctional but also meh.
I don't believe that more storylines or different "flags" will change anything.

Part/ships "numbers" are also limited.

Really, is nice game for a dozen hours but mods can really improve this big time.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Huh, I feel like I barely scratched the surface after a dozen hours. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It allows for so many different styles of play, focus on trading, focus on being a pirate, focus on being a smuggler, focus on being a diplomat, focus on storymissions, or doing a combination of all these. And since getting from one system to the other and seeing your contacts and stumbling over things and getting distracted usually takes time, I feel like I barely get all the stuff done I want to do.

Nirvash

Liturgist
It allows for so many different styles of play, focus on trading, focus on being a pirate, focus on being a smuggler, focus on being a diplomat, focus on storymissions, or doing a combination of all these. And since getting from one system to the other and seeing your contacts and stumbling over things and getting distracted usually takes time, I feel like I barely get all the stuff done I want to do.

You will always do a combination of nearly all, the only real choice is to trade or not.
Smuggler, diplomat, fighter or whatever, you will still fight and do a card game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom