Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Star Traders: Frontiers - space sandbox game by Trese Brothers

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will I enjoy this if I have a very low tolerance for RNG bullshit?
It really depends:
It has a strong push your luck element, but also a lot of ways to mitigate bad luck:
What will usually kill you is lack of intel: if you go near a xeno infestation without knowing it, it can usually end your playthrough early on. Same goes for going in the middle of pirates.
But all of the talents you pick to get "rumors" will be instead of talents needed to get things done (among other things, operating your ship without damaging the ship or the crew).
Also, once you are OK with letting every pirate and military ship loot or inspect your cargo, you will die a lot less (alternatively, you can go all in and start with a bad ass ship, at the cost of gimping your own captain character).
So you need to have tolerance for RNG, but you must also have enough self awareness not to blame the RNG for all of your blunders (or the risks you take actually: You can very well risk ship combat, but you just must not ever pick a remotely fair fight if you want to survive in the game).

TLDR: There is a lot of RNG, but dying is usually your own doing, either because you wanted to maximize potential long term reward (and took risk), or went way over your head.

Still pissed at these guys ditching the overhead templar style boarding battles. Otherwise it is easily their best offering yet.
The problem is that it is very hard to do so without killing the pacing of space battles.

guise i bought this once it was out of early acess.

fured up a custom military commander with a 375k ship. met pirate demanding l00t from me enroutw to the first mission. started a fight and total wipe (was playing on hard with captain permadeath)

plz tell me basics so i can git gud.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

fured up a custom military commander with a 375k ship. met pirate demanding l00t from me enroutw to the first mission. started a fight and total wipe (was playing on hard with captain permadeath)

Which ship did you start with in the first place? The Guardian Interceptor? The starting loadout on most ships is "balanced" which is exactly what you want to avoid:
You want the ship to excel at a given range, not to be mediocre at all ranges.

Which ship did you start with in the first place? The Guardian Interceptor? The starting loadout on most ships is "balanced" which is exactly what you want to avoid:
You want the ship to excel at a given range, not to be mediocre at all ranges.
its the ship the default bounty hunter template starts with.
was LARPing an upstanding citizen instead of an anarchist rent-a-cop.

love these guys, they keep getting better and they make games the way I like them, detailed, RNG, complicated...hope they keep making games..I have bought nearly every one

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
This game is a lot to take in, there is so much stuff going on it will probably take a few attempts to wrap my head around everything, despite plenty of tooltips and tutorial officers helping you out. There are just so many possibilities and different interlocking systems.

I got into fight and I didn't want the pirates to board cause I had a VIP on board and wasn't sure what would happen. Got kicked hard and managed to escape on the skin of my teeth. Repairs were only possible after I finished the mission and incredibly expensive. I was barely able to refuel. Next thing I know is that I have a mutiny on my hands because almost dying to pirates and not getting paid wages isn't good for morale.

What a downward spiral. Now I'm scraping by and try to get out of the hole. Fucking fun!

One thing I kinda don't get is how the skill pools work. I couldn't figure out how my navigation suddenly dropped to zero even though I had navigators on board. Did someone die or was a ship system destroyed or something? Still much to figure out, but I was very tired yesterday.

LordofSyn

Scholar
Get the spy(?) talent on someone that lets you hide quest cargo/passengers from search and seizure and you won't have to worry about that.
Your Charter also protects most of your passengers and mission cargo. Very few opposing Star Traders will ever take a VIP or mission cargo.

(Unless tied to a story arc. Then the passenger can be hurt or taken, but you are given fair warning that this can happen before you even take on that mission within the story arc.)

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Hevnknekt

Educated
It's been a while since I've played this game, but I remember being annoyed by the procedurally generated NPCs. Military commanders being pink-haired little girls named Kitty Fantastico etc. :M

LordofSyn

Scholar
It's been a while since I've played this game, but I remember being annoyed by the procedurally generated NPCs. Military commanders being pink-haired little girls named Kitty Fantastico etc. :M
Kitty is a beast of a commander though. Do not let her name and appearance fool you.

Mortmal

Arcane
I am glad i found it as well, its the indie out of nowhere that turns out to be a really good RPG . Hard and relatively deep and complex, the kind of stuff am i really looking forward .I started on demanding difficulty and its indeed demanding, you really have to plan builds to cover all kind of skill checks. It's unforgiving mistakes quickly drag you into some death spirals . Maintenance is costly, crew get hurt, oh and shooting down the lowest level crew member to end a mutiny is great. All of it is pure incline.
Such a shame there's no news post about it indeed.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game looks cool. I'm mainly interested in impactful personality traits and character development.

How well did they deliver on
  • The "personal story" of your custom captain based on chargen decisions? Are there like procedural quests for your guy based on this, or is it just a meaningless text box?
  • Crew development? The kickstarter says something about your crew's personality evolving, and being able to eventually promote scrubs to powerful officers.
  • Everything else re personality traits? Are there 'trait checks' like an Arrogant captain may trigger a different mission outcome than a Humble captain? Do your crew's personalities impact gameplay and story direction?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone done a few missions for Zette Faen yet? Hit a bit of a road block today when I..
..was supposed to explore a planet to locate a secret station. I am not built for exploration so I was constantly running into xenos who kicked my ass. After I finally located the base the game warned me that there will be more combat coming up. So I retreated temporarily to regroup and when I returned to the planet I could not continue at the base, I had to explore all over again. Lets say I get to the base, is combat there unavoidable? Or any tipps how to do that more effectively?
Otherwise I've been doing pretty well. Made a bunch of money via story missions and have been slowly fashioning my ship and crew into a pure spy and smuggler troupe. This game is really addictive.

Ranarama

Learned
Does coming out of EA mean they finished the main storylines?

Also did they address being stuck with zero fuel in unfriendly territory? Seemed like once you started actually doing things you inevitably got hemmed in and stuck.

Codex Year of the Donut

Also did they address being stuck with zero fuel in unfriendly territory? Seemed like once you started actually doing things you inevitably got hemmed in and stuck.
Doubt they're finished as in no more content. They still regularly add content to their nearly decade-old game.

LordofSyn

Scholar
Has anyone done a few missions for Zette Faen yet? Hit a bit of a road block today when I..
..was supposed to explore a planet to locate a secret station. I am not built for exploration so I was constantly running into xenos who kicked my ass. After I finally located the base the game warned me that there will be more combat coming up. So I retreated temporarily to regroup and when I returned to the planet I could not continue at the base, I had to explore all over again. Lets say I get to the base, is combat there unavoidable? Or any tipps how to do that more effectively?
Otherwise I've been doing pretty well. Made a bunch of money via story missions and have been slowly fashioning my ship and crew into a pure spy and smuggler troupe. This game is really addictive.
Combat is mostly unavoidable on that mission. It is a tough one for a reason and has its rewards. Zette is not what she seems anyway... In fact, that whole family has some screws loose. But that's how things are in the Shaluniverse.
Lots of grey areas.

LordofSyn

Scholar
If you can land, you can refuel. Or hope for the event that let's you refuel.
There are many ways to refuel in hostile territory. Due to your actions and choices cutting off those normal options to do so in hostile ports, you can still patrol, blockade, spy, explore (all of which have ways to refuel via the card game if you are lucky or have some card manipulation Talents for those respective activities).
You can also refuel at Indie civilized zones as they do not track Reputation.
Finally, you can always pick a fight with a ship and take their fuel in your victory. (make sure to cripple/disable/kill all the crew and not destroy the ship to gain access to their fuel. Bonus if it is a pirate as you can take their fuel without much or any Rep loss.

LordofSyn

Scholar

As for the storylines, a good amount are finished and many more will be added. There will also ve at least 2 more eras added. This game will be supported with additional content for years to come.
They have also expressed hope in being able to add steam workshop access in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom