Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Wasn't Sylvanas always kind of fucked up after getting resurrected? I seem to recall her sanctioning and encouraging her Undead to create a new plague that would pretty much turn everyone else into Undead. She even had an entire section in the Undercity dedicated to the study and advancement of such. Her entire existence has always kind of been being a cunt, only now her cuntitude has been upped a few levels.

Blizzard was on to something when they were at least framing Sylvanas's actions from the standpoint of her being a benevolent leader for her people and trying to figure out how to propagate the population. Some of her fucked up actions could at least be somewhat understood. The latest development shows we are right back to square one of picking a controversial faction character and making them into a total prick for no good reason.

And that cut scene... wtf was that. Did Blizzard farm that out to a local 5th grade computer class?
What I find weird is that Blizzard released short stories just recently that are relatively well written in my opinion ("Elegy" and "Good War"?), especially compared to the in-game presentation. I do not know if it is different writers or the in-game content was made well before the writing team finalized a draft.

In game, it appeared like Sylvanas was just being a dick. In the short story, the point was to capture the tree, hold it hostage, and force the alliance to either devote resources to recapturing the tree and leave other places up for grabs (northern Lorderon/Gilneas) or focus on the eastern kingdoms. This would cause the alliance to either go bankrupt or turn on itself. Either way once the alliance broke apart, she would make peace with separate and isolated faction one by one. Also, there is a hint that something is manipulating certain characters behind the scenes. Furthermore, at least one of the stories was pretty metal. Specifically, the Priest caste and trapped civilians burn alive inside the the tree, when the god (Elune?) grants them all mercy from the smoke/fire in the form of sleep.
The text below is not award winning work by any means, but it is miles ahead of what was presented in-game in my opinion.

ANzxucU.jpg

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
They should never have put a flash animation in the game. That garbage is for marketing material. By doing it as machinima instead, it would have at least gone through an editing process.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Since I have not touched anything Blizzard related in years, I had a quick look on what has happened to good old Arthas ever since.

Ruling as the dominant personality of the Lich King for years, Arthas was defeated in combat by adventurers of the Alliance and the Horde. Cradled by the spirit of his father, King Terenas, Arthas Menethil died.

WHAT THE FUCK :D

That was the Blizzard could do? LMAO.
I mean the fight was real good; probably the best boss of that expansion especially on heroic.

But yeah the resolution was horse shit.

J1M

Arcane

That was uncomfortable. Some uncanny valley bullshit with that troll, looks like they took some east indian kid and painted him blue.

Not sure how supreme warrior orc trying to commit suicide again is supposed to make anyone respect him. More than anything, all this scrambling in the horde writing shows that Garrosh was intended as a long-term warchief and was only deposed due to alliance backlash.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I bet they released that cinematic earlier than they wanted to because of the moral backlash from the weirdos acting like they just witnessed their child get clotheslined by Ravishing Rick Rude.

Saurfang being this paragon of honour and virtue is real queer, though. So you're telling me this fucker lives on a continent that actively has war with these purple dickheads that hide in trees and shoot arrows when you're trying to chop some lumber to upgrade your Troll Berserkers and he's "shaken" because they just got eradicated and the Horde inherits an entire forest to use for resources?

He's a deserter in my eyes and should be executed to be made an example of.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The discussion on whether Horde is good or bad or not? Pure faggotry and DECLINE.

"I don't want to be the baaaddd guuyyyyyyy."
Thing is, so far Horde simply weren't the bad guys. And yes, people do not want to play the bad guy, normally (which is a GOOD thing).
You could find examples of both sides commiting clearly evil crimes, with maybe a few more on the Horde side, sure. But mainly, it was a racial divide, or a divide by somewhat anarchic outcasts vs order.
If it was any different, the player numbers wouldn't have been 50/50 throughout the years. There would never be a 50% of players of a clearly evil faction.

So ... to put one faction as the one to obviously blame for the conflict and due to such a clearly unnecessarily evil act by their leader (just after pretty much exactly the same happened two leaders ago) is really... strange.
In other words, you wouldn't have any real reason to think you're the bad guy playing horde before. Just a guy in the faction that is not lawfully stupid (at least that was my reason to go Horde all those years ago).
Whereas now you're fighting a war on the side clearly to blame for it all. No wonder people are pissed, I would sure be if someone put me in that situation :lol:

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
Nobody's going to comment how this 6 minute cinematic is more fun to watch than the entire Hollywood movie they made?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The discussion on whether Horde is good or bad or not? Pure faggotry and DECLINE.

"I don't want to be the baaaddd guuyyyyyyy."
Thing is, so far Horde simply weren't the bad guys. And yes, people do not want to play the bad guy, normally (which is a GOOD thing).
You could find examples of both sides commiting clearly evil crimes, with maybe a few more on the Horde side, sure. But mainly, it was a racial divide, or a divide by somewhat anarchic outcasts vs order.
If it was any different, the player numbers wouldn't have been 50/50 throughout the years. There would never be a 50% of players of a clearly evil faction.

So ... to put one faction as the one to obviously blame for the conflict and due to such a clearly unnecessarily evil act by their leader (just after pretty much exactly the same happened two leaders ago) is really... strange.
In other words, you wouldn't have any real reason to think you're the bad guy playing horde before. Just a guy in the faction that is not lawfully stupid (at least that was my reason to go Horde all those years ago).
Whereas now you're fighting a war on the side clearly to blame for it all. No wonder people are pissed, I would sure be if someone put me in that situation :lol:

They are the invading army on a planet they don't belong on. They have never used diplomacy (unless you are green) instead killing people and bringing them back to life with Necromancers and summoning Daemons and probably raping some human bitches. They aren't pure evil, but they ain't good.

:cool:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Is that the troll Anduin later smites into the ground in the introductory cincematic? If so, the dialogue in Old Soldier is a little funny.

Also, this gave me a chuckle.

X8aOI5g.jpg

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody's going to comment how this 6 minute cinematic is more fun to watch than the entire Hollywood movie they made?
I read a lot of comments by now saying Blizzard should do another movie themselves and leave Hollywood out of it.
Yeah, I tend to agree. The Warcraft movie wasn't horrible, but I also think they could do better if they did it themselves.

Aildrik

Savant

In addition, Blizzard has been hitting players over the head the last couple expansions with the idea that there are forces far greater than Horde vs. Alliance and the co-operation is the way forward. Then you get stupid crap like this, I'm sure, because some dev or designer high up at Blizzard was up too late drinking or got a hair up their ass and decided no screw this, back to the way things were.... UNTIL of course we have to deal with a new threat from the Void / Voidlords, you name it, you damn well know another threat from space is coming.

J1M

Arcane
There are two types of people annoyed by this:
1) alliance players pretending to be horde players against war, because they don't like when the alliance sees losses

2) horde players that joined a faction because they wanted to be the pillagers, who are annoyed that their leaders are being written with conflicting and convoluted motivations to fill up novels instead of rallying the troops and pressing the front lines

Generic-Giant-Spider

Void Lords are that idea someone pitches during a creative meeting for a joke and that one guy in charge of it all takes it seriously despite everyone around him chuckling.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It's pretty obvious the secret race of underwater snake people are the real threat. That will capitalize on the scaley fetish.

Psquit

Arcane
These Void lords are like the ultimate evil? the ones that created the old gods, and the legion tried to destroy by destroying worlds?

Edit:
LX36Q46.png

Wow really? what a bunch of cucks. When i played undead and blight the fuck out of the mutts, i was overjoyed. Committing genocide or other war crimes in video games is fun as fuck.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
From the RTS side of things, WC2 was my favourite of the whole series. Everything about it came together great from the gameplay to the graphics and that music is still world class. But what I really liked especially in retrospect is how they made the Orcish Horde feel like this destructive force. Shit, that manual where you have artwork of Orcs holding up severed heads and burying their axes in someone's spine was how they should have remained.

For gameplay aspect was a masterpiece since it even introduced submarine warfare in RTS while WC3 focused on heroes, creeping and deleted naval warfare. For graphics...well graphics was great too but design was already the first step toward goofy modern WC while WC 1 was darker. I mean in WC 2 you had funny giants that are farting while in WC 1 you had menacing orcs that are riding giant wolves with RED GLOWING EYES! While in WC 1 fog of war isn't introduced yet, you reveal very tiny portion of maps: no flying machines with huge visual, very little portion revealed by magic too. You had also dungeons while WC 2 was always in open places. Also there were some smaller touches of WC 2 that I didn't like. Grunt now seems to use a cleaver and keep a hand free while in WC 1 they use their huge axe with both hands. Footman in WC 2 remind me conquistadores and their shield is tiny while in WC 1 seems more armored.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah WC1 had some cool aesthetics for their units. I like how the demons actually looked like some Biblical shit instead of the lemon lime Gatorade advertisements they are now.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Committing genocide or other war crimes in video games is fun as fuck.
Every now and then, for shits and giggles, maybe.
But certainly not as a general guideline if you play a game for months or even years on end. In that case, you are still supposed to somehow identify with your faction - I don't see how else you'd be playing that long.
I am assuming you do not truly identify with genocide and war crimes, even if only in a game. If so, you need help as you are probably one step away from knifing some people in a subway. and should ask yourself where those fantasies come from.

This isn't even like Thanos in Infinity War, his mass-murder plan actually has some reason and made sense - an uncomfortable solution to a real problem (well, until the point when he got all the stones and still went through with it, but that's a different issue).
This is just a killing of thousands (?) of innocents, while at the same time losing a tactical advantage and all of it just out of some "this is pain!" "there's no hope!" emo shit - and that's supposed to be the great leader that you as a player fight for. I might repeat myself here, but I do think this is reason enough to be pissed, though the subscription cancelling is hilarious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom