Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Mega-bosses look like free updates. So I doubt they are much more than a single location with a set-piece fight.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
They said the DLC would be shorter than the White March parts, but it feels just as big. I hope it doesn't end abruptly.

Why the fuck do they keep adding small DLCs, mega bosses and other stupid stuff? Is there really anybody who'll actually replay the game because of that? And planned patches...makes me wish the game was delayed and properly released after all this stuff. I really hate how it has become the accepted norm that games are borderline unplayable at release and only become properly completed after a year of patching.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Booted up my old save before Ukaizo... just have to say this is PoE II 2.0, and the game STILL LOADS EVERY MAP INDIVIDUALLY instead of seemless transitions into interiors.

Continue.

Ziggy

Scholar
just finished. pretty good. hard upscaled on lvl 20 and it was still challenging enough, unlike the main game on release. guess if u hated the writing in the main game this wont be much better but the combat is fun

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I haven't finished it yet, but it feels about the size of a Fallout: New Vegas DLC.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Played for about an hour, long enough to kill the dragon, recruit Vatnir and level him and Ydwin up to lvl 20. Narrative tone starting off is weird - ppl in execution hoods freezing their asses off while worshipping the god of entropy seem absolutely elated to meet you...

On the positive side of things, Vatnir has actual character flaws - not sure where it’s all headed, but writing is neutral-positive at best.

I single-classed Vatnir as a priest, and his kit spells are nice - lots of frost and decay damage spells so it’s almost like getting a wizard multiclass for free. I ignored the usual fire spells I would normally pick, and grabbed the secrets of rime and spirit of decay passives instead.

I’ll post more when I get a little further.

Aim1ess

Novice
deadfire-update-53-content-timeline--thumb.png

Hmm, though they released about a month early based on steam player numbers it looks like they pretty much have the game planned to release continuously throughout the busy part of the year for RPGs(according to steam stats.) and finish right before numbers start dropping again. Also kinda feels like old Blizzard in that the game on release is virtually a different game from what you get a year or 2 down the road. Playing DII without skill synergies(and pre runes) once when I had no internet after a hurricane or something was crazy to go back to.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
So far it looks like the structure is starting village > temple > The Beyond, a dungeon with three setpiece locations > presumably final boss? Depending on how long the setpieces are it's up in the air how "worth $10" this is. Probably less content than Dead Money but more than Honest Hearts or Bastard's Wound. And I think Chris Avellone joints are outliers in terms of value for money, so the latter two are a more realistic basis for comparison. Bizarre frame rate issues, as ever. Deck Of Many Things has some decent items, but not much to write home about, and feels like it's setting up a story which will never be concluded. I guess I had more of a weird magical ghost ship in mind, rather than just a ship that looks pretty normal but the crew are weirdos and sell you stuff.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
So far it looks like the structure is starting village > temple > The Beyond, a dungeon with three setpiece locations > presumably final boss?

Harbingers Watch - Outcrop on High - Rimebound Temple - Shattered Realm - Drowned Kingdom/Evon Dewr Bridge/Endless Queries - Neriscyrlas Lair - White Void - Back to Harbingers Watch

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I finished the DLC after 10 hours. I have a few minor complaints, but overall it was a great experience and worth $10.

Positives:

- They kept the story simple, which is good. Stop the dragon and save the world, with a minor plot twist at the end.

- The difficulty was moderately challenging at level 20 on PoTD. I've already been hearing from people that went at level 14 (as recommended) and ragequit on the first battle.

- The characters are amusing. Especially Vatnir. I recommend bringing him along for his unique abilities and dialogue towards the end.

- The quests in The Beyond are fun and well written. I enjoyed solving the puzzles and trying to fix the souls. Waidwen's was particularly good.

- There's a lot of unique equipment and soulbounds. Also many new grenades, consumables, and a new type of item called trinkets.

- There are a lot of impressive animations and cutscenes. This made the DLC feel very cinematic.

- The second to last boss battle was very fun. I liked how they implemented the allies into the fight.

Negatives:

- The DLC is linear. I was hoping for exploration and more than two sidequests.

- There's not a lot of enemy variety. The silver lining is that all the enemies are unique to the DLC.

- They mostly reused the soundtrack from the base game. There are a couple exceptions, although the only one that was memorable was Evon Dwer Bridge.

- The environments in The Beyond aren't as visually stunning as the ones in the Dead Floe.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
In other news, Obsidian leaked data from the next DLC into the game files. There isn't much, but I did find the dialog of a new companion called Ryona in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor. She's a Valian spirit.

Codex Year of the Donut
In other news, Obsidian leaked data from the next DLC into the game files. There isn't much, but I did find the dialog of a new companion called Ryona in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor. She's a Valian spirit.
why would they add new companions instead of finishing the ones already available?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom