Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
That's how it is nao. The sheer amount of reputashuns by now make it a lot. And the leet marks clog up my inventories.

But even I remember marks of assplorashun, blahblah of valor. Also PvP marks? I guess the funhating ogre means: compared to now, there were "few" currencies back then.

Norfleet

Yeah, back then there were a lot less than 22 currencies, and that's just counting the REP-based currencies, not including the non-rep-based currencies or the event-specific currencies.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Sounds like Cryptic is desperate, they have 14 day event which gives you a free tier 6 boat. Are they really that desperate to get players back into the game?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Isn't the 14 day thing just for the satellite console? Unless I read it wrong, the free ship requires you to aquire 3000 points in 50/day portions until fall, so it's more like a 60 day grind (not counting the occasional double points event).

Sure, why not stretch the mandogrind to bolster metrics. Tis good for filthy casuals tho. Makes you wonder how the time effort holds up to how much minerals one could aquire the old fashioned way, to be used on a 30% off ship sale...

Norfleet has probably a spreadsheet ready for that. :hahano:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sounds like Cryptic is desperate, they have 14 day event which gives you a free tier 6 boat. Are they really that desperate to get players back into the game?

It's their entire business model. They're almost always running a promotion giving the impression that new players can "catch up."

One ship, no matter how powerful (or even a handful of ships) don't really make much of a difference. The later you begin playing STO, the more fucked you are. Shrewd old veterans have every advantage they'll ever need due to years spent accumulating dozens/hundreds of redshirts and ships (quite a few of which are event- and promotion-based) that generate semi-passive income, and I imagine most of them never spend any money on the game. Having a large collection of redshirts and ships is entirely necessary to participate in the player economy without unloading your bank account into China.

The sheer scale of veteran-heaviness in STO boggles the mind, and I've seen some shit, even if only vicariously. For example, Simutronics MUDs are shamelessly pay-to-win, have been for ages, and it's not remotely cheap. Some unfortunate souls have dropped tens of thousands on them, or so I'm told.

Norfleet did helpfully inform me that I shouldn't be playing this game at all, but (after I ignored his warning and did so anyway) he also took pains to obfuscate the sheer magnitude of grind facing new players until I'd more-or-less figured it out on my own. I regret nothing. It's legendarily grindy, so much so that it should be in a museum for people to ooh and aah over.

Norfleet

They added that feature in an attempt to get people to come back to their mandogrinds: A lot of people have now so many redundant tokens because the tokens were still awarded on a per-character basis that we simply don't ever need to actually do this shit again. Apparently they don't want to simply invalidate the tokens entirely or it would cut participation even lower, but they need a hook to drive people back up again.

Makes you wonder how the time effort holds up to how much minerals one could aquire the old fashioned way, to be used on a 30% off ship sale...
It depends on the queue. A lot of them are simply mandatory attendance without required actions, so you can just queue up and then go AFK through the entire thing.

Norfleet did helpfully inform me that I shouldn't be playing this game at all, but (after I ignored his warning and did so anyway) he also took pains to obfuscate the sheer magnitude of grind facing new players until I'd more-or-less figured it out on my own. I regret nothing. It's legendarily grindy, so much so that it should be in a museum for people to ooh and aah over.
I didn't OBFUSCATE it so much that I opted to let you attack the process one step at a time rather than overwhelming you in jargon. It was bad enough as it is. I DID make sure to destroy the illusion thoroughly, though. If you listen to pubbie filth, they'll tell you shit like "You don't need X to succeed". The thing is, their definition of "success" is "pretend to be useful while still being carried kicking and screaming to success on the backs of others". I simply stripped away all the pretend and let you see it as it really was: That you were functionally totally useless and that early gameplay involved basically leeching free shit off the perplexing antics of others.

Drakron

Arcane
It's their entire business model. They're almost always running a promotion giving the impression that new players can "catch up."

Honestly, it looks its a idea that comes from that new Executive Producer that come on last year because it stinks of mobile freemium.

Also its 3000 tokens were you get 50 per day and thats when the event is running ... there are some "double token days" that likely will be during the weekend but not counting those, thats 60 days and featured queues events dont last 60 days or 30 days, plus you can already get a free T6 ship or several with the T6 Reputation as you can get a Fleet Module at T6 for each reputation.

And also we kinda told you and the way there is to "play" STO is threat it as a single player game and yes, Cryptic will happily sell you the shortcuts for "fun" but this leads to a interesting situation were you have gained all there is and thus have nothing to aspire in the game.

eklektyk

Erudite
as far as i know event is standard crypyic grind aka 14 days ... thats what ? 700 points? i gues with max 3 days of extra 150 ... they want to stretch giving you bs ship till new year it seems ..

in other words: crypyic never changes ...

Norfleet

Not to mention there's only about 5 ships you can choose from that don't involve shooting yourself in the foot, and none of them are really very good.

Norfleet

I'm still there, but my advice to you is to uninstall it and run fast and far. The game is very much not for new arrivals, as you've missed even more critical infrastructure. Did you not read back to Blaine's misadvantures here, where against my warnings, he tried to come anyway, and so I tried to teach him everything he needed to know and he ran like hell in a week?

LIBERA TE TUTEMET INFERNIS

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm still there, but my advice to you is to uninstall it and run fast and far. The game is very much not for new arrivals, as you've missed even more critical infrastructure. Did you not read back to Blaine's misadvantures here, where against my warnings, he tried to come anyway, and so I tried to teach him everything he needed to know and he ran like hell in a week?

LIBERA TE TUTEMET INFERNIS
just looking for something to kill time, the episodes have been alright so far

this is for larpers through and through. as long as you're the kind of guy who likes to think of backstories for its characters, here you can have a whole crew to customize.
i wish swtor had space battles as integrated as sto: especially during this new empire shit, there's countless instances in which it would have made perfect sense to let me pilot the giant ship, or at least give me stuff to shoot at.

Norfleet

just looking for something to kill time, the episodes have been alright so far
Well, you have two choices: you can just keep on solo-derping until you get hit a wall, get bored, and quit, or you can come to me, take the red pill, learn that the tooth fairy doesn't exist and that there is no god, and then quit in despair as the true shitty nature of the game is revealed to you. Your call. Either way, statistics say you have a > 99% chance of quitting before you get anywhere in this game.

HE WAS AN EVE PLAYER, HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN USED TO THAT.
i hereby declare myself "the antinorfleet", because with my larping powers (and probably the right dose of autism) i had fun with eve for years :V eve and the album "microchip emozionale" by subsonica, couple made in space u_u

Codex Year of the Donut
The TOS missions were clearly made by people who really loved the series. They put a lot of effort in to make it feel "authentic"

tell me again how fun it is to waste time, memory and efforts because that twunt wants an umbrella instead of a straw into her cocktail.

Norfleet

He's still a clueless noob, man. He is still basking in the FLAVOR and shit. Plus, he's probably talking about the TOSling Starter Tutorial, not the Spectres arc, since that arc got buried in a deep, dark hole where some noob like him will never see it.

Codex Year of the Donut
He's still a clueless noob, man. He is still basking in the FLAVOR and shit. Plus, he's probably talking about the TOSling Starter Tutorial, not the Spectres arc, since that arc got buried in a deep, dark hole where some noob like him will never see it.
I tried to do spectres but you have to be 65 to start it

Codex Year of the Donut
I have a discovery character and a TOS character. The detail they put into things like the UI(including sounds), various visual effects, is just :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom