Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Risewild

Arbiter
I don't know why but the links to the child patch on nma-fallout appear to be dead/missing.
It's still there. Old NMA files that were in the old "archive" NMA site also need to replace the "www" from the file URL with "archive":
archive.nma-fallout.com/nma-fallout/fo1/patch/F1ChildPatch.zip

I guess I could upload them to the new NMA, but last time I asked about old files, the answer I got was something like "You don't need to bother, if it is still downloadable from the archive site.".
So, instead, I have been slowly uploading files that are not available on the archive site anymore.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
On a somewhat related note, I've been digging up info on a few games, visiting encyclopedic game sites as a starting point and checking out the links they provide to see the fan sites.

I'm appalled by how many of those links are dead, as in "404"-dead. Judging by what I've seen so far, I expect to find a LOT of dead fan sites/official sites for various games released in the 21st century alone.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a lot of valuable information on niche games is going up in smoke at an alarming rate. I hope I'm wrong.

A horse of course

On a somewhat related note, I've been digging up info on a few games, visiting encyclopedic game sites as a starting point and checking out the links they provide to see the fan sites.

I'm appalled by how many of those links are dead, as in "404"-dead. Judging by what I've seen so far, I expect to find a LOT of dead fan sites/official sites for various games released in the 21st century alone.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a lot of valuable information on niche games is going up in smoke at an alarming rate. I hope I'm wrong.

People never really think about where fanmade material will be in 5-10 years, let alone 20. There are maps and mods for games as recent as 2001-2003ish that I literally cannot find anywhere online, and which might now only exist on someone's decaying old HDD in a dusty attic. One thing I've never been able to get back is an ancient demo version of Medieval 2 which used different (superior) effects to a later demo and final product, for example.

Even some very popular fanmade material was only available on a handful of file sharing sites, and as the fanbase dwindled and sites started shutting down or purging old material, you'd have to ask older members of the community for backups.

On the upside, I don't think many modern titles even have communities as invested as those old ones, so most Obsidian games will literally vanish over the next decade or so. That, at least, is a blessing for the industry.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah an alarming amount of stuff has vanished from the golden age of fan sites. It makes finding the ones that still exist a wonderful treat though. Recently I went looking for a Dungeon Siege mod I remember enjoying and was shocked to find not only is it still around, but the original tripod page hosting it is still up. What a treasure of 2003 amateur web design: http://wench_of_woe.tripod.com/indexframes.htm

Squid

Arbiter
GOG.com should make GOM.com (Good Old Mods) :obviously:.
They could seriously just host it on their store, like how goodies are off to the right? Just make a new section for the mods available too. I'd imagine it would be a good thing to have vs. Steam's Workshop. I know they aren't the same but keeping in the spirit of DRM free and old school cool kinda thing, it'd be pretty rad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It'd be a nightmare for them. Either they'd have to let go of the few remnants of quality assurance they have left, like steam did, or they'd have to evaluate every single mod they're offered to host, which... well, you know :roll:

Squid

Arbiter
It'd be a nightmare for them. Either they'd have to let go of the few remnants of quality assurance they have left, like steam did, or they'd have to evaluate every single mod they're offered to host, which... well, you know :roll:
Okay, fair point. I was definitely intending that they'd evaluate it, which would be a pain in the ass. I wasn't trying to imply anything like Steam Workshop though (just to compete with it in some sense), because that would be a nightmare in quality assurance that I don't want either.

Risewild

Arbiter
Yeah, they even include some mods with some of the games they sell, like SFall on Fallout, the fan patch on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, etc.

It would be nice if they had available some quality mods for their good old games too.

Squid

Arbiter
Storefronts should never host mods, that's how you get centralized restrictive anticompetetive anticonsumer cancer like Steam Workshop to begin with.
I don't have much to argue here, I'm not super knowledgeable in these things. I see what you mean but I figured it's a nice idea for those old mods that only live on personal computers now and if someone got a hold of them, it would be nice to see in a stable, accessible part of the web.

like SFall on Fallout
Did they really? I bought the games on gog but haven't specifically used the gog versions yet.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

Yeah, it sucks. But I try to help with this issue by saving pages of my interest that are still up to archive.is/Webcite/the Wayback Machine. It's already paid off a few times when pages I archived later went down.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Most of them should be available on Archive.org.

But I was apalled to learn that the main HoMM fan site back in the days - AstralWizard.com- was not archived due to robot.txt.
But for some reason it's working now. :?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Storefronts should never host mods, that's how you get centralized restrictive anticompetetive anticonsumer cancer like Steam Workshop to begin with.

Yah, plus GOG's individual forums for each game series seem perfectly setup to link to mods and guides, and in fact do pin threads with that exact purpose. It's a shame they're pretty barren in general, but they do a good job linking to the important stuff.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Now available on GOG: Artifex Mundi's Hidden Object Games-series, the Nightmares From The Deep and Enigmatis trilogies.

To coincide with their release, they're at a 70% discount for the next week.

For someone who has played far too many of them, these are the best HOGs available. They are casual-level games however, and explicitly designed for women, so keep that in mind.

EDIT: Also, Ubisoft has a weekend sale. Might be a good time to pick up Might & Magic titles.

Last edited:

mwnn85

Savant
Did they really? I bought the games on gog but haven't specifically used the gog versions yet.
GOG include Sfall with Fallout (1+2) for the directx wrapper which solves graphical issues on modern Windows.
Thief (1+2) and System Shock get the New Dark updates.
VtM Bloodlines comes with Wesp's patch/mod (UP Basic). I can't believe he's still firing patches out for that; v10!

It's not all great though.
For some silly reason they bundled the Revision mod with Deus Ex and bloated the size of the installer by 5x - I've kept the old installer.
They did something equally stupid with Heroes Chronicles, splitting each chapter up into it's own installer. 450MB~ x 8. I've kept the old installer for that as well.

EDIT:
Stumbled across a handy site listing various open source remakes: https://osgameclones.com/
I was already aware of most of the well known ones but there's quite a few on the list that I didn't know existed.
You can apply filters in the search to cut out all the dead ones i.e. active, playable, remake

Remakes of HOMM, AoE, Diablo, Mafia, Tomb Raider & System Shock are very welcome.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
mwnn85 said:
For some silly reason they bundled the Revision mod with Deus Ex and bloated the size of the installer by 5x - I've kept the old installer.
I can't speak for Galaxy / old offline installers, but current offline installer for Desu Ex does not include Revision files. It's just good old ~400 MB install:

zvxYnC5.png

The only "new" thing I've noticed is nglide 2.0, which allows you to use the Glide renderer. At least it would, if only GoG guys have put it into the /system/ subfolder and not the main folder. The way it is now, choosing the glide renderer crashes the game. :roll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Huh, apparently Steam lost the rights to sell SiN within the last couple of years or so. GOG's gain since it's on sale now. :cool:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Shame that Emergence sucks donkey balls.

I do miss the original game. Fun protagonist and villain, some great level design, lots of changes in levels depending on how you tackled objectives in previous ones... that last bit is something more FPSs should do.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
What about the "Resnarked" edition of the 2004 Bard's Tale? Any word on that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom