Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where are the new good games?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
They improved DRM, now end users would pay full price for crap.

(Previously even people who want to pay for games would play pirated versions, and rather wait for sale to pay 1/3 - 1/10 for crap.) If this trend would continue in decade we will not have sales, and pay full price for crap. Though they might go with 120 $ at release, 70 $ at sale tactics.

Squid

Arbiter

Max Edge

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
xVc0Yov.png

eDwVnsJ.png

lStmQ4W.png

MAsIVhC.png

kA3m1cp.png

Ash

Arcane

Extremely rare, and not worth digging for. Again I will reiterate: there are multiple ways to get your fix. Few are through modern game dev.

1. Play old games you missed. There's plenty. I've played and completed an obscene amount of games and am a old school nut (because standards), and yet I am STILL discovering new old games I missed and having fun times all around. Don't restrict yourself to one platform's library though. Old PC or console games, it doesn't matter. The old school doesn't disappoint often if you look in the right places.
2. Replay your old favorites with mods. Mods are a good source of classic quality, for free. And playing REAL games enhanced with quality mods, you just can't match it.
3. If playing a modern game, research it. Read the good reviews and the bad ones. Watch gameplay footage. Rely on codex consensus. AAA or indie (there's so much indie shovelware, can't escape the decline).

TL;DR: Old games. Old games. Old games. Old is the new gold, or new "new".

Morkar Left

Star Traders: Frontiers
Hero-U
3030 Deathwar Redux
Empyrion
ELEX!
Prey
Alien Isolation
Yakuza 0

And these are just the ones I have on my table...

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Games I like that were released in the last few years and not 'this year new'

Bomber Crew
Survivalist
Star Trek Bridge Crew
The Hunter, Call Of The Wild
Death Road To Canada
Underrail
Shadow Run: Dragonfall
Dying Light
Stardew Valley
State of Decay: Year One Special Edition

I have no shortage of decent games to play and have an extensive backlog, I also want to replay awesome old games like Jagged Alliance 2 which I haven't played in more than a decade.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Mario on a modern gaming system would be... hilarious :D

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I guess warning against nostalgia goggles on RPG Codex would be kind of pointless, so I'll just say a good method in my experience is to mix old (and old feeling) games with news ones, basically alternating.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Fortnite was released a year ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom