Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I asked previously but didn't get an answer. Wouldn't the people who funded this on fig know since they get return on investment?
We'll know next year. That's how we got PoE's budget and revenue.

Sentinel

Arcane
I admit that I'm tired of epic narratives and bioware style companions.

I care more about worldbuilding elements such as lore, culture, factions, and atmosphere. Neketaka is a brilliant example of all those elements.
PoE doesn't have an epic narrative. That's part of the problem. Writing a non-epic narrative for an RPG is a task nuObsidian's writers aren't up to.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
There are few facts on the ground.

1. PoE1 sold so well because of the nostalgia and the hype around "Rpg Rennaisaince"
2. Nostalgia and hype are fickle, not grounded in reality and are in general delusional feelings
3. PoE1 was mediocre, especially in places where people first experience it but also overall, with its best parts practically hidden behind a wall of chore
4. PoE1 was sufficiently entertaining if you looked at in a vacuum as its own thing, but because it at the same time tried to be PS:T, BG and IWD it accomplished none
5. People who played it due nostalgia and hype felt unsatisfied, because the game wasn't epic or sentimental
6. It would have been better if instead of trying to create a mirror of BG1/2 they did their own thing like deadfire, it would have been much better received
7. It would be better if they let go off PS:T and the pseudo-philosophy and theology which they cannot write
8. They should have just made a self-contained story, maybe a bit dark but mostly around the way world works, isntead of an overarching epic story about timeless organisations and artificial gods
9. Deadfire didn't sell as well because it doesn't have the same irrational winds of nostalgia and hype behind it, instead sails against the current of bad impressions of PoE1

In light of these facts, I can tell with confidence that people who think DA:O is a good game or even functional are fucking retarded, and should be beheaded alongside with nostalgia junkies.

Also dumpsterfire was set aflame by the same problems in PoE1, pseudo-philosophy and pseudo-theology they frankly lack all sorts of experience to write. While the mundane parts of the game that deals with life on the go like the gullet, family feuds, coloniser/native conflicts are done well. It's a shame it is tainted by all the "epic journey narrative" that they tried to weave while they were obviously out of their depth.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
There are simply too many of these top down RPGs these days. Each takes many dozens of hours to finish, each comes with expansions and SuperDuperMega editions..there is no hype behind these games anymore because they became commonplace, and even the fans who enjoy them (of whom there are significantly less than of AA/AAA 3D games) simply do not have time to play them all, and why buy them, when you know they will get better and cheaper with time?

Simply put, 2D CRPG was in a bubble, bubble is popping now (hell, it probably popped already some time back). If you want to suceed, make 3D RPG with good production values. Kingdom Come cost around 15 million euros and sold over million copies even with smear campaign by moron journalists and retarderans.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Just make a filtered-down-oblivion action game bro.

Invaluable insight right there, kind of a decade too late though.
That"s not what I am saying at all though. I would like to see more RPGs like New Vegas/Bloodlines/KCD, not like Oblivion.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are simply too many of these top down RPGs these days.
This is a retarded ass post. The amount of 3D Action RPG's coming out now completely dwarfs the amount of true 2D Isometric RPG's. PoE, Wasteland 2, T:ToN, and AoD all incorporated some form of shitty 3D graphics in their games, as well as generally suffering from a host of issues that could have been fixed. One of the only proper 2D Isometric RPG's released was UnderRail, which ended up being fucking amazing. We don't have an over saturation of 2D Isometric CRPG's, we have an over saturation of shitty 3D Isometric RPG's with terrible writing and combat.
RPGs like New Vegas/Bloodlines/KCD
New Vegas was a fucking shit RPG, and both Blodlines and KCD had a bunch of issues that really made them annoying as fuck today.
Each takes many dozens of hours to finish, each comes with expansions and SuperDuperMega editions
3D RPG's with good production values literally also take dozens of hours to fix, and often have their own versions of deluxe and complete editions. You use this as evidence against 2D CRPG's when it doesn't make any fucking sense.

Paul_cz

Arcane
There are simply too many of these top down RPGs these days.
This is a retarded ass post. The amount of 3D Action RPG's coming out now completely dwarfs the amount of true 2D Isometric RPG's. PoE, Wasteland 2, T:ToN, and AoD all incorporated some form of shitty 3D graphics in their games, as well as generally suffering from a host of issues that could have been fixed. One of the only proper 2D Isometric RPG's released was UnderRail, which ended up being fucking amazing. We don't have an over saturation of 2D Isometric CRPG's, we have an over saturation of shitty 3D Isometric RPG's with terrible writing and combat.
RPGs like New Vegas/Bloodlines/KCD
New Vegas was a fucking shit RPG, and both Blodlines and KCD had a bunch of issues that really made them annoying as fuck today.
Each takes many dozens of hours to finish, each comes with expansions and SuperDuperMega editions
3D RPG's with good production values literally also take dozens of hours to fix, and often have their own versions of deluxe and complete editions. You use this as evidence against 2D CRPG's when it doesn't make any fucking sense.

So angry. Let's say I disagree about those three being shit RPGs. Having some flaws does not make them shit, literally every game ever made has flaws, even the hallowed masterpieces of Torment/Fallout variety.

I didn't particularly mean to use deluxe/whatever versions of top down RPGs as "evidence" against them. Just that releasing these superduper editions leads to people being hesitant to buy these games at launch, when they can wait and get better and cheaper version later, hence the lower than expected sales numbers of most recent top down RPGs. This is, after all, thread about Deadfire underselling.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Neither FNV, nor KCD, nor Bloodlines are RPGs, soooo. If you want first person RPGs, go play the MMs, the Wizardries or other blobbers.
Action RPG is still an RPG,they are not CRGPs tho. Sub genres are invented to keep people from killing each-other over the definition of RPG.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Maybe I have a ~~diverse and accepting~~ outlook but I think that any role playing game on a computer is automatically a computer role playing game. I don't see how the "computer" in computer role playing game defines anything other than what it is played on.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, you being
possibly_retarded.png
might have something to do with it.

Max Edge

Maybe I have a ~~diverse and accepting~~ outlook but I think that any role playing game on a computer is automatically a computer role playing game. I don't see how the "computer" in computer role playing game defines anything other than what it is played on.

So try play in Wizardry witch Nintendo Switch controler.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's say I disagree about those three being shit RPGs
I never said KCD or V:TMB were shit RPG's, I just said that they had a bunch of flaws that made them cater to very niche audiences.
Just that releasing these superduper editions leads to people being hesitant to buy these games at launch, when they can wait and get better and cheaper version later, hence the lower than expected sales numbers of most recent top down RPGs. This is, after all, thread about Deadfire underselling.
So you have no evidence that there is a CRPG bubble? Cool, got it. The main reason a game like Deadfire undersold is because of the piece of shit reviewers that gave PoE such amazing scores; which led to a bunch of people new to the cRPG market buying it to give the genre a try. They naturally got bored with the banal shit that is PoE, and since they assumed PoE is a quality game indicative of the entire genre, they just passed on the second game because it wasn't for them. There are plenty of triple A games that come with their own deluxe editions and their bullshit expansions; doesn't really stop anyone there.

You literally said companies should stop making Isometric CRPG's and start making Action RPG's. That's the embodiment of decline.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If all the devs who make isometric RPGs are shit, I don't care if they all die. If ARPGs have something like Kingdom Come, I'll take it over the shitty isometric RPG. Muh popamole is not an argument.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom