Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

ArchAngel

Arcane
Neither diablo 2 nor this feels like diablo 1, nerds
Well GD feels more like D1 than D2 did. But PoE feels more like D2 than GD does.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Yeah, that's true. I just meant it would have made more sense if Diablo 2 had been more like Grim Dawn in the visuals and general world design department, rather than the fucking mess that it was. But then I'm still only in the first area so maybe Grim Dawn also becomes filled with jungle tribes and Himalayan mountain people later on.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Been playing it for the past day and am enjoying it. The only other Diablo-like that I like is Diablo 1, and this is like the Diablo 2 that I wanted. I made a Demolitionist, and am focusing on firestrike + bombs. At first I couldn't figure out why anyone would use one handed guns over two-handed since the damage is so much lower and it seemed like I wasn't able to dual wield one handed guns, but apparently there is an item that lets you do that. I already took one of the skills focused on two-handed guns though so I suppose I will stick with rifles. The soundtrack is also really good.
Dual 1H is probably better with Firestrike (there are indeed a number of items/relics that let you dual wield pistols, and a skill for Inquisitors) just because of the much higher attack speed causing mass projectile spam once you max Brimstone, but there are a few really good rifles as well.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Yeah, that's true. I just meant it would have made more sense if Diablo 2 had been more like Grim Dawn in the visuals and general world design department, rather than the fucking mess that it was. But then I'm still only in the first area so maybe Grim Dawn also becomes filled with jungle tribes and Himalayan mountain people later on.

I didnt play past the third act but up until then it stays reasonable. Bland even

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
GD is about roaming a realistic countryside, i.e. featureless and samey fields, swamps, forests and small villages dotted here and there. It really is bland in that way.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Nothing about Grim Dawn's visual style or art direction popped out to me and made me think, "Wow this is such a cool setting." It's very generic, much like PoE and most other Diablolikes.

Even though Diablo 2 was nowhere near as good as Diablo 1 when it comes to those things, it still felt like it had its own distinct style and had much more interesting places than a game like Grim Dawn. This is one of those games you could play 500 hours of and somehow still forget what half of it is like.

deama

Prophet
Anyone know if there are any mods that uncap the skill caps(or raise them)? So being able to put in 50 points into a skill instead of 10 or whatever it's cap was before.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Still enjoying the game, but it feels far too easy. I'm playing on Normal, obviously since its my first playthrough I haven't unlocked the additional difficulties, but with the Veteran mode turned on yet I think I've only died 2 or 3 times overall, and those were because I basically got one shotted out of the blue. Is the game more challenging, in a good way, on the higher difficulties?

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Still enjoying the game, but it feels far too easy. I'm playing on Normal, obviously since its my first playthrough I haven't unlocked the additional difficulties, but with the Veteran mode turned on yet I think I've only died 2 or 3 times overall, and those were because I basically got one shotted out of the blue. Is the game more challenging, in a good way, on the higher difficulties?

I never played on anything under the hardest difficulty that you can first select (veteran i think), and that was still quite easy. (I played on hardcore)
Its known that grim dawn is piss easy garbage on normal. forgot to tell you lol

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
It is not hard if you roll correct build. If you do not specialize - you will have problems with certain mobs, bosses.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The expansion content is also a noticeable increase in difficulty, even on Veteran. You have to get at least poison resistance to not be frustrated by the swamp (yes, another one).

Zakhad

Savant
As well as the factors mentioned above, you might find more challenge in the "rogue-like" challenge dungeons, of which there are presently four (one each for undead, Aetherials, Chthonians, and beasts). But it still depends on build, gear, etc.

Hyperion

Arcane
I started playing the Reign of Terror mod with a friend. It's basically a 1-man project to eventually bring all of D2 + LoD into the Grim Dawn engine, and let me tell you the dude is phenomenal. Every zone is unique, and is far more atmospheric than even the original. All voice acting, and music has been imported from D2. Played on Veteran with my buddy, and we ended up getting our shit pushed in more than we'd like. Andariel was harder than any GD or D2 boss I can recall. Unfortunately, he's only approx. 50 - 60% finished with Act 2, and ran into some copyright issues with Blizzard in the past, but he seems to have worked around them, and gotten a 2nd modder to help him finish up faster. I think the Black Marsh may have been my favorite zone we've currently completed, which is odd, since I fucking hated it in the original.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47624

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Accidentally sold my really OP gun that I had been using for like 7 levels without finding anything better. Didn't realize it until I had walked away from the store :|
Found one of the skeleton key dungeons and it's fairly challenging compared to the other areas so at least that's nice.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Accidentally sold my really OP gun that I had been using for like 7 levels without finding anything better. Didn't realize it until I had walked away from the store :|
Found one of the skeleton key dungeons and it's fairly challenging compared to the other areas so at least that's nice.

Cant you buy it back from the store?

Zakhad

Savant
You're still in early-ish levels right? pre-50? The game has a real hurdle at 50 where a lot of good gear becomes available and levelling slows down at the same time (both in terms of skill points you earn and how fast you go up levels). So good gear pre-50 is often trash a short while after.

The game has a couple of odd hurdles like that, too much gear all with the same exact level cap. Really noticeable when you have multiple characters, since with later alt characters, at level 50 you suddenly equip ten epic items from the communal stash stash and start roflstomping everything.

Okagron

Prophet
As far as I can tell its gone once you leave the store. You can only buy stuff back while the store window is open.
The stuff you sell at the vendor only disappears if you teleport to another area. If you sell something, leave the store and then come back , it still will have the stuff you sold. The stuff you sell is in the tab on the right at the vendor you sold the stuff.

Veteran and Elite in the base game are pretty lenient when it comes to difficulty, at least in the story mandatory areas. There is a noticeable jump in difficulty in the expansion on any difficulty though.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Turns out I'm retarded. The gun had ended up in the extra bag I had gotten earlier from a quest, which I didn't realize was a separate, alternate bag (I thought it had just expanded the default bag size). Really though all the icons and texts in this game are so small I feel like I am going blind while playing it. I ended up getting better a gun in the skeleton key dungeon though, and then died to one of the bosses.

Naraya

Arcane
I started playing the Reign of Terror mod with a friend. It's basically a 1-man project to eventually bring all of D2 + LoD into the Grim Dawn engine, and let me tell you the dude is phenomenal. Every zone is unique, and is far more atmospheric than even the original. All voice acting, and music has been imported from D2. Played on Veteran with my buddy, and we ended up getting our shit pushed in more than we'd like. Andariel was harder than any GD or D2 boss I can recall. Unfortunately, he's only approx. 50 - 60% finished with Act 2, and ran into some copyright issues with Blizzard in the past, but he seems to have worked around them, and gotten a 2nd modder to help him finish up faster. I think the Black Marsh may have been my favorite zone we've currently completed, which is odd, since I fucking hated it in the original.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47624

Thanks for this, looks fantastic!
I love Diablo 2, much more so than Diablo 1 which always felt clunky and boring to me.
I can only hope that the author will continue this mod's development to completion.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Playing Grim Dawn for the first time with the expansion and all DLCs and it's a real ball buster. Playing on Veteran and I now realize I probably shouldn't have. This game, unlike many other aRPGs, doesn't let you fuck up, and encourages you to put some thought into your builds and specialize. But I didn't know that going in. Playing as an arcanist/occultist and it's kinda redundant and shit. I shoulda put some tank class in there. I'm on level 33 and finding boss battles a real bitch. What are some of the better spells in my build against bosses? What should I work towards? How can I salvage this POS build? Right now I feel fairly weak and pitiful, letting my three pets do most of the grunt work as I run around being chased by whatever 1-hit kill boss-cunt I'm facing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can salvage it by going a pet build + Mirror of Eroctes, that defensive shell and the elemental enchant for the weapon to boost the pets. If it boosts pets. The other thing you can do is a chaos Aether Ray, but it's too gear-dependent to be comfortable yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom