Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
what about the Wii one? I have it downloaded for use with Dolphin but have yet to bother firing it up. I think it's called Dawn of something.
You are talkin about Radiant Dawn. I have played the previous one: Path of radiance for the gamecube, you can play it on Dolphin emulator also.

It's pretty good, but the visuals are not as good as 2D sprites for the Gameboy or SNES ones. Both Path of radiance and Fire emblem 7 are very good introductions to the franchise.

With only a few chapters played, I'm liking a lot the encounters and maps in Thracia 776. They are throwing new gimmicks every chapter in a very tight progression.

I wish they would have kept Thracia 776's very tight economy in other Fire emblems. Having to capture enemies to steal their weapons because you are broke , reducing your combat eficiency while you are looting them is very smart risk/reward design.

Trivial enemies become meaningful, because you need those consumables/weapons being very tight in money, but is harder capture an enemy than to kill him, and while they are captured you are a less capable fighter, so you have to chose wisely when to do it. Aside you can try to do it with more powerful enemies, even bosses that have great equipment to steal, but they become much harder to kill. This shit is incline in my opinion. You are gonna love it aweigh

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
Started my first walkthrough of Thracia 776 with this translation patch:

https://serenesforest.net/forums/in...ype-menu-and-script-translation-through-ch-3/

Just began, but this is much better than Awakening.

- Story seems good so far.
- I like the capture mechanic.
- Path of Radiance is great but I prefer the 2D sprites to ugly 3D models. Fire emblem 7 had great ones also.

How would you rank Thracia 776 in the whole series?

Having played all of the games from 3 to 10 I would rank T776 in the top 3 alongisde Radiant Dawn and Seisen no Keifu. The mechanics are way above the GBA games and resources actually being scarce makes the game much more challenging than other entries in the series.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Thracia is meant to be the best or one of the best but I always had yrouble with fan patches, I'll have to try this one.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I continued my FE Echoes: Shadows of Valentia remake. Map design is a bit better, but still way behind the GBA titles. As my units progressed into different classes i now have something resembling class roles with some strengths and weaknesses, but the game still suffers extremely from the lack of the weapons triangle. The only things to consider are ele/phys def/atk, range, movement and a few extra abilities.

The other big problem is the way too small cast. I am half way through the game and not once did my cast size exceed the deploy limit. That means playing in ironman basically means praying for luck (as you can also plan battle outcomes less due to the lack of the triangle) and as soon as you lose a few units the difficulty of your run snowballs and youre fucked.

It seems to me the game balance is designed around the turnwheel, which is a cheat practically and trivializes the game. Its still an okay to good game, but the dev teams appearant lack of insight into the core strength of the series really is disappointing.

Started my first walkthrough of Thracia 776 with this translation patch:

https://serenesforest.net/forums/in...ype-menu-and-script-translation-through-ch-3/

Just began, but this is much better than Awakening.

- Story seems good so far.
- I like the capture mechanic.
- Path of Radiance is great but I prefer the 2D sprites to ugly 3D models. Fire emblem 7 had great ones also.

How would you rank Thracia 776 in the whole series?

Having played all of the games from 3 to 10 I would rank T776 in the top 3 alongisde Radiant Dawn and SNK. The mechanics are way above the GBA games and resources actually being scarce makes the game much more challenging than other entries in the series.

What the hell is SNK?

Elthosian

Arcane
Woops, that's the four entry then. Never got to know the japanese names of several of the post-GBA games.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Did Kaga ever do anything with Tear Ring Saga? He won his lawsuit to keep making FE games, so where's the goods?

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Officially, Kaga only made one other game after Tear Ring - Berwick Saga on the PS2, which was actually different enough in so many ways (such as using hexes) that it can be considered its own thing rather than a Fire Emblem "without the license" game. I guess he didn't want to risk future lawsuits but his company shut down anyway.

After that, Kaga went into silence and only came out to release what could basically be described as a Fire Emblem fangame called Vestaria Saga. I heard it's getting an official localization that should be released soon barring unforeseen circumstances.
https://serenesforest.net/category/pre-release-news/vestaria-saga/

Endemic

Arcane
Did Kaga ever do anything with Tear Ring Saga? He won his lawsuit to keep making FE games, so where's the goods?

Well, he is 68 now - I'm surprised he decided to make Vestaria at all.

To add to what TigerKnee said, Berwick Saga wasn't commercially successful, and Kaga basically retired a few years after that. He resurfaced more recently to make Vestaria with a team of volunteers (although he apparently started a protoype back in 2010: https://i.imgur.com/baAubM2.jpg ). There's an expansion in development as well: http://zeeksweb.blog120.fc2.com/blog-entry-167.html .

Vorark

Erudite
Thracia and Genealogy are probably cursed, no one group manages to complete a proper translation.

Endemic

Arcane
Thracia and Genealogy are probably cursed, no one group manages to complete a proper translation.

Genealogy was done a few years back courtesy of Project Naga (the epilogues included). The 2007 patch for it was still better than the Thracia equivalent, which is occasionally buggy and has glitched menus. I guess you could just use the menu patch and read the script from Serenes/Gamefaqs, but that isn't a great solution either.

Vorark

Erudite
Ah, good to know about Genealogy. Then hopefully Thracia will follow suit.

Endemic

Arcane
Aside from the spaghetti code (with text stored haphazardly) and arcane encryption that some SNES games use, translating katakana into English also runs the risk of maxing out the ROM's filesize. The FE4 ROM doubled in size to 8MB after translation, for example.

deuxhero

Arcane
Completed 2.0 of Staff of Ages hack. :4/5: . Currently includes a 12 chapter part one and 2 part two paths with 4 chapters each and one shared Gaiden chapter (21). Ends when most units are promoted or just about to (The Lords can't promote, but Sawyer's last chapter ends with him finding some magical crown that implies his promotion will be soon).

Starts out relatively typical aside from typical rom hack improvements on the GBA FE Engine (skills, see all enemy ranges with select button), but has some decent writing (better than ost modern AAA titles) and good chapter design for the most part. Some minor bugs like some broken animations (this isn't a real problem thanks to GBA FE's auto suspend save. Just restart and hold L to skip animations) and the creator made longbows archer only midway and forgot to remove them from non-archer enemies.

Penultimate chapter for Sawyer is bullshit if you don't have the reinforcements mapped out from failed runs or abuse save states. It's a pretty typical defense map where you have to keep some civilians alive, except the enemies get unpredictable reinforcements (they don't spawn on a fort or stairs) and include a lot of fliers who spawn within 2 turns of the civilians and the AI puts priority on attacking civilians. Final (so far) chapter for him is just an XP farm though. His other chapter's and Owen's route are pretty good though.

boot

Prophet
What are your favorite Fire Emblem maps?

FE 1's first map is p. iconic
1-capture_026_31012012_204307_stitch.png
:desu:
I also remember 9 clearly
1-capture_01052012_184_stitch_fixed.png

had to fight all the way up to the pass to get someone in to kill the boss. Very satisfying slog.

FE4. The Fire Emblem that makes you feel.

"Dance in the Skies"
Chapter_4.png
Legions of warrior women fighting in the sky, then a sudden rush of arrows and they begin falling to the earth, finding rest in the snow.

Epilogue
Chapter_11.png
Travel across same lands your fathers did, cutting through huge armies and covering massive amounts of ground, both sides using legendary weapons. Blood feuds are settled, evil is destroyed.

Simply... epic.

FE5

Had the best maps when strictly considering gameplay. Always some circumstance or condition to consider and plan around. You can't just grind forward through the game.

favorites:
map06.gif

Finally free of the interior maps, you use the mount function for the first time...

Escaping from pursuing troops requires creative use of Rescue and Swap commands, and you're also gonna wanna figure out a way to visit all the villages without getting cut off.
map13.gif

First map that feels large in scale, you must relieve a castle that has come under siege from multiple directions.

Your troops start off in the opposite corner and must cover a lot of ground quickly as castle defenders die.
map14.gif

1st defense map in series. Best defense map in series.
map19.gif

Your units start strewn about in awful positions, with a powerful force rushing out to mop them up. Unique map where enemy feels very threatening and not so mindless.

Didn't like the endgame much, felt more like a puzzle game with all those magic staves and weird effects fucking you over.

The GBA FEs were all much weaker entries. Mechanically dumbed down from Thracia776, and the charming fairy tale story feels sterile. Maybe it's the color palette. They all reuse the same assets.

Of them, I liked 8 the most. Very straightforward and simple and bland. The difficulty wasn't there, but the map design was tight.
9B
fe8map9b.png

Basic fortress assault. Main hallway has archers firing from both sides. Taking the chests and seizing the throne without wasting turns will require forethought. Reinforcements will come in from the rear.

Simple, sensibly made. Most are like that.

FE6's maps were weak and too big. I think every map was a seize map.
Don't remember any of them well enough to post. I didn't replay this one very much.

7 was much better but gimmicky, like they wanted to return to FE5's varied victory conditions and unrelenting challenge but couldn't. At least half the maps have a gimmick- like bridges that disappear on alternating turns- as though they couldn't trust to FE's core mechanics.
26.png

Rush through fog of war to save a weak NPC in center of map. Map is very long and it is very easy to lose units as you are rushing through uncleared space to accomplish objective. Very memorable map because you had to restart it about a dozen times before your thief dodged all the bullshit long range magic tomes.

It has a gimmick (saving NPC) but doesn't feel random or forced as it is connected strongly to the story.

Path of Radiance had the 4 part map that strained your weapon and item reserves, also had that cool reinforcement mechanic, where you're continually calling in more guys to slog through this massive forest.

never played any after Path of Radiance

also never played Gaiden or Mystery of the Emblem.

Endemic

Arcane
You might want to try the Binary hack for FE4, it fixes a lot of the gameplay shortcomings. Doesn't work with the English translation, though.

Didn't like the endgame much, felt more like a puzzle game with all those magic staves and weird effects fucking you over.

The warp tiles are annoying if you didn't expect them, yeah. Lategame FE5 is all mage v mage duels really, although some melee-oriented characters like Dagdar remain useful. Using the crusader scrolls helps if RNG screws you over with stat growths.

never played any after Path of Radiance

also never played Gaiden or Mystery of the Emblem.

Radiant Dawn (direct sequel to PoR) is something of a mixed bag but worth playing. New Mystery (DS remake of 3) is rated highly for gameplay by series veterans. I'd also suggest Tear Ring Saga and Berwick Saga if you want a different take on the FE formula.

deuxhero

Arcane
Playing FE8 with QoL changes (hit select to show all enemy movement among other stuff) and randomized classes. Moulder is a surprisingly excellent mercenary, with good stats all around and a high enough con to wield that iron blade without speed loss. Mage Knight Seth is a real highlight, since he's way more fragile than a typical Jeigan, but has a lot of useful abilities that make him a good character still. Pirate Franz works great too and will likely be my first promotion. Ross's chapter was a bit of a pain to get past turn one since I didn't have a flyer, but it worked. Recruiting Joshua was easy, since he was a priest and posed no threat.

Shame that Neimei, Garcia, Lute and Kyle are ALL armor knights. Forde, as a pretty shit Monk, is my only mage aside from Seth at the path split. Amelia (who, having a unique class, won't be randomized) is going to be used since I lack any non-Seth cavalry aside from Peg-Knight Natasha and Troubadour Vanessa.

Twizman

Scholar
I've had a lot of fun playing FE6 Binding Blade Hard Mode over the holidays. The early part of the game is quite challenging. My favourite so far is Chapter 7 'The Rebellion of Ostia'. The map is quite open and feels like a real chaotic skirmish having to deal in particular with the Wyvern riders. I enjoy using the Jeigan of the game Marcus a lot - initially I didn't like the idea of using a borderline overpowered unit that levels slowly and poorly. However in Hard Mode he is essential early on, and I enjoy developing his axe skill.

I'm inspired to try Thracia again after this.

Ent

Savant
So theres been a ton of info dropped about Three Houses in the past few weeks - a few major points being:

There is a month of school between each proper mission/chapter wherein you teach students and upgrade their proficiency ranks and learn skills, explore the monastery and make the students do extracurricular work to gain resources and support ranks among each other.

Not all characters will be students and you can recruit some during the actual missions.

Holy Blood makes a return in the form major and minor crests of the 10 great heroes of Fodlan (all three main student characters having minor holy blood).

New gauntlet weapon type that are basically brave weapons by default and cannot be used while mounted.

New fist fighter class and dark mage are apparently gender locked to boys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom