Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Cheating

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Generally on the 2nd or 3rd run I'll mess around with cheats. Aside from that, I've used cheats in GTA games to go on rampages with loads of weapons and shit like that. I have still never completed Duck Nukem Forever and I do want to see it all for myself, when I finally get around to it, I'll probably cheat if I feel like it, because what I have played of it was boring as fuck

Leveled in Dark Souls. You can beat the game without leveling.

No-one considers that cheating, including you.

My text size has started defaulting to 5 for some reason. Anyone else had an issue like this?

Fargus

Arcane
I don't cheat often, aside from just messing with stuff or trying to unfuck the game (when you're stuck, scripts not working etc). I used to dick around with marvin mode in Gothic for days back when i was a kid. Spawning various shit, starting monster attacks in Old Camp, messing with npcs. Once i renamed Gomez to "Miner", changed his voice to have higher pitch and sent him into the mines, even gave him miner's clothes and pickaxe. Thats how fun cheating in Gothic was.

Last edited:

Max Edge

For first time, I play by the book. For second, I install trainers and, at last, I have good fun (but only when first time wasn't completely boring and have nude patches).

Squid

Arbiter
I only cheated in games when I was younger, but even then I would get bored of it after awhile and restart and play the game normally. I used some gamesharks on my handhelds and consoles for fun mostly.

There is nothing wrong with using cheats in single player games.
I've always agreed with this. If you wanna cheat in your own personal game, go for it. There's nothing wrong with it but if you ever start feeling like you cheated yourself out of the experience, you only have yourself to blame for it. You're essentially only going to ever ruin a good time for yourself. Cheating in multiplayer games to feel better about being bad at it is another thing.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Rarely, if ever. I only cheat if I want to test out something or skip a shitty mission, a la Thieves Guild in Thief.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I cheated on a friendship. While my buddy slept, I meticulously put car bombs in every garaged vehicle he had in GTA III.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cheats interfere with monetisation and the whole games as a service shit. If users are using cheats to skip your content and finish your game fast, you aren't building a world that draws them in gacha style.

Also, the phenomenon of platinum trophies means that unlike the old days adding the debugger commands (which are still there because Q/A needs to play content fast btw) invalidates the shiny allure of said platinum trophy which console tards must have to achieve 100% perfection in their game of choice.

Also yeah pretty much cheat away all grinding in all my RPGs, plus move speed hacks because backtracking.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Only time I use a trainer is for BG1/2 and IWD to bypass the autistic 18/00 rolling. I've done it enough times the legit way to not want to do it anymore. Otherwise I don't cheat. Every time in the past I've quickly lost interest in the game I was playing as soon as I cheated, so I just don't.

Cael

Arcane
For BG1/2, it is easier to just get 18 Str and grab a Str book. It doesn't matter what 18/xx you are, it goes straight to 19, which is why Half-Orcs are so overpowered in the melee department with their +1 Str.

It is more fun to game the hell out of the system than to cheat, though.

Examples:
In Fallout 2, exploit Stealing giving you XP:
Steal 1 item in a row, you get 10 XP
Steal 2 items in a row, you get 10+20 = 30XP
Steal 3, you get 10+20+30 = 60 XP, and so on.
Get your steal up to 90 and steal 6 times in a row to get 210XP per steal session.
Start looking for NPCs with lots of items that you can steal 1 at a time (cash is very good for this; a guy with $180 will give you 6300XP).

In Fallout Tactics, exploit the stealth mechanics: When you are out of sight of the enemy, the enemy will only keep track of the nearest person who is within his detection range. Everyone else can stealth, even the one right next to the designated detected one. Once you have everyone stealth, RUN AWAY with the detected one, keeping out of line of sight of the enemy. With a bit of luck, he will chase after the runner to keep the runner in range of his gun. Once he moves, have the rest of your squad run around the obstacle and blow him away.

You can also exploit the infinite XP gain from picking locks. Just keep picking a locked door or chest to get 15XP for locking it, and a random number of XP (15-~150) for unlocking it. The first one pick on a lock always doesn't give XP, but the subsequent ones will.

In Ultima 4 or 5, crash your karma/virtues early to gain all the fun stuff (99 reagents for 1gp, looting chests in Castle Britannia, etc.) because they can't go -ve. Then bring them back up again, or just die in Ultima 5, which will reset your karma (75, I think? Can't remember).

laclongquan

Arcane
1. Neverwinter Nights 2 OC and MOTB: builtin cheat to run a full 6 man party. Mostly for the banters between characters. I dont need to make the game easy, not when I can manipulate the shops and get boatloat of money, then turn around to buy stuffs to overpower the opposition.

Fun fact: a full 6man party drag the game to a crawling FPS when it try to process six faces, figures, wearing different things.

2. Alttab the game out to copypasta the savefile in order to have saves in permadeath games like Unreal World. Permadeath/Ironman is just encouraging turtle play in me so I dont do that kind of shit.

Norfleet

1. Do you guys use cheats/trainers/cheating device in video games, I mean - without destroying fun?
I prefer to destroy fun without cheating. Destroying fun is the objective of any game, however: To completely suck the fun out of the game by devising min/max strategies that completely trivialize the game and then implementing them. Particularly against other players. I will use any and all non-explicitly-implemented-as-cheating means that are in the game, even, and especially if, other players hate it, unless there exists a house rule to explicitly outlaw this particular move. But if it isn't absolutely forbidden by the letter of the rules, I will do it! Cheese is good! FUN IS A FILTHY PARASITE! If weren't meant to game the game, it wouldn't have been called a game! No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses! Behold, the power of cheese!

I only turn to external "things" if it makes the game more INTERESTING in the process, when you hit the point where the game itself is no longer interesting and now it's about poking it in its sensitive places and seeing what goes horribly wrong. At that point it's no longer about winning the game, but about seeing if and how it will crash when you do it: the point at which you're using the pieces to play Hungry Hungry Hippos.

2. Despite fact that today's games are mostly easy, implemented cheats have nearly extinct, why is that?
Because Cheat Engine is a thing now?

Norfleet

Get your steal up to 90 and steal 6 times in a row to get 210XP per steal session.
Start looking for NPCs with lots of items that you can steal 1 at a time (cash is very good for this; a guy with $180 will give you 6300XP).
If you unsteal the item, does that give XP? If you then steal back the item you unstole, do you get more XP?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I used to resort to them, because my point of view was : "It's better to cheat on a game than give up on it". It was always what I would reply to people who said that spoiled the enjoyment of the game.

Well, nowadays, with a huge backlog of games I am taking a different approach. If I cannot beat a game legitimately, just try harder. And if that doesn't do the trick, admit that you lost this time, keep your savegame, and move on. There's plenty of other games. I'll just get back to it another time.

My life is pretty challenging at the moment, both as a new parent, investing myself in a new town and learning a new job, it's hurdles after hurdles, difficulty after difficulty ; I take comfort with the fact that games are challenges that I can decide to give up on, once in a while, without consequence or worries.

Cael

Arcane
If you unsteal the item, does that give XP? If you then steal back the item you unstole, do you get more XP?
Yes, it does. You can do that as an alternative. i do it the other way because cleaning a guy out and moving to the next one gives a bit of completion satisfaction, whereas the stealing and planting doesn't end :D

Cael

Arcane
1. Neverwinter Nights 2 OC and MOTB: builtin cheat to run a full 6 man party. Mostly for the banters between characters. I dont need to make the game easy, not when I can manipulate the shops and get boatloat of money, then turn around to buy stuffs to overpower the opposition.

Fun fact: a full 6man party drag the game to a crawling FPS when it try to process six faces, figures, wearing different things.
I have run wth a full party of every possible NPC in NWN2 OC with no problems. 12 guys in the party. There was only a noticeable slowdown in the Neverwinter map when they are evacuating the place due to the high number of other moving NPCs in the area.

Cael

Arcane
Well, my 3rdworld PC rig could only run so much~
Heat can be a problem where you are. Do you keep your PC in an air-con room? When I was living in the tropics, I had a special room in my home that was always airconditioned. It is where we keep our books and computer and other stuff that can be damaged by dust, humidity or heat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom