Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

La Mulana 2

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
*- RELEASE DATE IS TOMORROW -*
*- PREPARE YOUR NOTEBOOKS, ARCHEOLOGISTS -*

---

Arcane
Almost five years of development.
Hope they did a good job.

---

Arcane
I never completed the first one, because puzzles were very, very obtuse at points, but still I really enjoyed the experience. If I had to write a list with the best games I've never finished, well, La-Mulana would deserve a place.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, that is probably the only metroidvania-type game I'll never finish, couldn't get my head around the puzzles

Speaking of Metroidvanias, anyone tried this?

fBJkop9aAbEHys1o3sfg_Hm9A8chpyWJ.jpg

---

Arcane
It's pretty good, but it lacks of personality and it's way too long for its own sake.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's one of the best metroidvanias of recent years with damn good level design and lots of personality, but bosses are weak

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Having a good time so far. Tricks and "mindset" I learned from the previous game come in handy here.
However, it's also a part of why this game isn't really 'amazing' as the first: it's simply more of the same. There aren't many changes in the items you get, or any new additions.

Now, that can definitely be a good thing, as there aren't much games like La Mulana which was great... But, not as refreshing as the first.
Also, OST isn't as good :cry:.

I definitely recommend it to anybody who wants more LM, tho.
Wonder what Nigoro can come up with next if they try to make a new original game.

HansDampf

Arcane
I finally got around to playing this and also finished the first game again a few days ago. And I have opinions!
Since the games are so similar, I think it's best to just compare certain aspects.

Better:
  • Presentation: Graphics are more detailed. 16:9 format. Lots of character art. More effects. Small qol features. However, it still lacks decent scaling options. I've been running both games with IntergerScaler, because I like my pixels sharp and crispy.
  • Cooler boss fights (just a little bit): Almost every Guardian boss is a small spectacle with lots of variety. Except for the Tiamat rehash. You can't top Tiamat.
  • Less bullshit: I'm mainly talking about the crap in Gate of Illusion or the back door that leads to the Tower of the Goddess. You know, the backside of the 4th area which you have to enter through door #5 for some reason, which appears out of thin air in some secluded area you have no reason to backtrack to after you beat the 5th guardian, and there are no hints pointing towards it whatsoever... But I digress.
  • Non-linear progression: LM1 is already far from linear. LM2 is wide open in comparison.

Neutral:
  • More freedom of movement: You can slightly change directions mid-air. This sounds like casualization, but the platforming is designed with this in mind. You can also grab and let go off ladders mid-air. Convenient.
  • Mulbruk is now Waifu Bait.

Worse:
  • Soundtrack: It's not bad by any means, just not as catchy as in the first game. It also has a slightly different style, probably because it's not based on chiptunes. The first few hours, it felt like it was trying to mimic the first game too much. It gets better later when it does its own thing. My favorite is the Eternal Prison Theme.
  • Load times: Teleporting in LM1 is almost instant. LM2 has noticeable load times. Slightly annoying.
  • NPCs everywhere: You have few interactions with NPCs in LM1, mainly Xelpud and Mulbruk. You will also visit the 4 Philosophers later and the Fairy Queen once and a couple of other unnamed NPCs for hints. But LM2 has at least 3 named NPCs in every area, and you have to talk to them - often repeatedly - in order to progress. I'm not a big fan of this. There are so many names, factions, races, and mini-stories to memorize. Worst moment was late in the game when I needed to revisit some random guy I'd met 40 hours ago in an early-game area just so he would tell me the mantra that I needed to open a path in the final area of the game. Sure, there is a hint with his name somewhere, but that was 40 hours ago, and he is a completely forgettable character. They are all going to die anyway.
  • Puzzles: For the most part, they are about the same standard. But towards the end, they rely so much on mantras which are basically passwords. And the tablets and hints always have the relevant words conveniently highlighted so that you don't even have to understand what the text is saying. Just incant the highlighted words. There is also no big endgame puzzle. What a Shame!™ I really liked that one in the first game and how it's hinted at from the beginning. My favorite puzzle in LM2 was how you get to the chest with the Twin Statues. It's just another chest with another item, but suddenly you have to think a bit outside the box to understand how to get there. I would have liked to see more puzzles of this kind and fewer mantra passwords.
Btw, the official description on the GOG page says: "We predict newcomers to the series would probably clear the game in 20 to 30 hours."
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nobody will beat this game in "20 to 30 hours" without using a guide. It even feels slightly longer than the first game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
DLC has been released. They say this is Hell Temple equivalent.

Also teasing a new game (tentatively titled Ahamkara) in development. https://www.gematsu.com/2022/01/la-mulana-developer-nigoro-announces-ahamkara

Publisher PLAYISM and La-Mulana series developer NIGORO have announced a new game tentatively titled Ahamkara.

“We at NIGORO have been making games for 10 years and finally it has dawned on us that we are not very good at creating a game in a short time frame,” the developer said in a message. “For our next project Ahamkara (working title), I have decided to stay quiet until we have something to announce. As such, I bid you farewell until we meet again at some video again a few years from now.”

In addition to Ahamkara, NIGORO has two other unannounced projects in development.

Further details were not announced.

treborSux

Arcane
Been playing La Mulana 2 the last couple weeks. About 25 hours in, and am enjoying it more than the first one. I like the Nordic mythology theme, and there's so far less annoyances than the original. I assume I am going to run into some ridiculously cryptic nonsense at some point, but I haven't hit a wall yet. Which makes me wonder if there's some bullshit I have missed already, or if this one is just designed to be more playable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom