Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Prime Junta

Peragus is intense and has a System Shock vibe to it. It's creepy and the surgical and cold precision with which the assassin droid pulled off its shenanigans made it even more creepy. Korriban is a ruin of a once thriving Sith academy and has the cave where the visions take place. Dantooine is a place where survivors are trying to rebuild. These are much more mature locations than anything in KotOR1.

The concepts are fantastic. The execution leaves much to be desired.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Peragus was a cool idea to have investigation/thriller tutorial level and the content does good job with that. There's just not enough of it. All gets swallowed and lost in gigantic empty hallways and longass empty corridors and it feels seems like you're spending days or weeks there. After 30 minutes I was begging for it to end. Absolutely awful.

Cross

Arcane
Well, it's a good thing then that Obsidian learned their lesson and decided not to implement lengthy unskippable tutorial sections for PoE and Deadfire.

Oh wait...

In fact, one could say they devolved, since at least Peragus carried some mystery on the first playthrough.

MCA sometimes designs these - areas which are good the first time you play them (Peragus, the half-hour unskippable conversation with the Think Tank at the beginning of Old World Blues), but become a chore in all subsequent playthroughs.
The Old World Blues opening was mandated from on high:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...eciation-station.101693/page-191#post-5545888
the two worst exposition moments I've ever had to write (Dead Money and Old World Blues) were both publisher and CEO mandates because they felt players wouldn't have any clue what was going on.
In hindsight, it was an obvious warning sign for all the loredumps to come in later Obsidian games.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, the writing might be disappointing... and really sad about what I hear about the story ending in PoE2 (am probably less then halfway trough), but at least gameplay, combat and mechanics-wise PoE blows anything Obsidian has done before from the water (and PoE2 improves further).
Exploration is pretty great in PoE 2 also and the factions are kinda cool.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never finished Old World Blues. I went there when I was high level, so all the fuck-off dogs and scorpitrons had about two billion HP each. It's probably the least fun I've ever had with the Gamebryo engine, which is quite a feat, and the lulzy setting didn't do anything for me. Dead Money was absolutely top notch, though.

Prime Junta

The entire problem with KOTOR2 is that it's an obvious rush job. It's a testament to the strength of the ideas and the writing that it succeeds so well despite consisting largely of uniform empty corridors.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I never finished Old World Blues. I went there when I was high level, so all the fuck-off dogs and scorpitrons had about two billion HP each. It's probably the least fun I've ever had with the Gamebryo engine, which is quite a feat, and the lulzy setting didn't do anything for me. Dead Money was absolutely top notch, though.

Well, I did finish it, but... for me the whole Gamebryo FNV experience was kinda... meh. Dead Money was admittedly slightly better.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Imagine if PoE2's character creation/transfer was before the game, and you walked through the same area in the pre-level into the ship but with no prosedump or any dialogue and learned after the tutorial island intervention the ropes of the ordeal. Much better pacing, not frontloaded and leaves a bit of mystery at the start.

Honestly though the Obsidian's decision to do a direct sequel AND double down on gods retardation is momumental mistake.

Sizzle

Arcane
Honestly though the Obsidian's decision to do a direct sequel AND double down on gods retardation is momumental mistake.

It could have been done well, but they kept (and made even more prominent) the most boring parts of the gods (namely - their bickering and passivity).

What you end up with is a pantheon that's at once so dull, incompetent, and yet still arrogant - you want to bitch slap them all. And I doubt that was the experience they were aiming for.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It shows serious lack of confidence that they had to get Berath to threaten you, AND say that Eothas stole part of your soul, before they felt satisfied the player would go investigate Eothas. Since one of the main points of any rpg is exploration, why on earth did they feel the need to add those two prods? As if ''giant statue walks around smashing things'' wasn't sufficiently hamfisted as a plot hook already? PoE2 made me realise I am a massive storyfag by triggering me with its bad writing.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Eh I think they just got caught up with an idea to have a lore friendly save transfer. Which admittedly is a really cool thing to have.

Sizzle

Arcane
It shows serious lack of confidence that they had to get Berath to threaten you, AND say that Eothas stole part of your soul, before they felt satisfied the player would go investigate Eothas. Since one of the main points of any rpg is exploration, why on earth did they feel the need to add those two prods? As if ''giant statue walks around smashing things'' wasn't sufficiently hamfisted as a plot hook already? PoE2 made me realise I am a massive storyfag by triggering me with its bad writing.

The Eothas part is almost completely divorced from the (much better) deal-with-the-Deadfire's-factions part of the game. It's almost like they were made by two entirely different writing teams, that weren't allowed to speak to one another :D

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Making it a non-unified mess that depends on your willingness and good will to engage with 90% of the content for no reason.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Question for people who beat deadfire.Is combat more tactical on max level? Or its is popamole pre x for awesome to happen??In comparison with poe 1 ofc.

Mortmal

Arcane

The Eothas part is almost completely divorced from the (much better) deal-with-the-Deadfire's-factions part of the game. It's almost like they were made by two entirely different writing teams, that weren't allowed to speak to one another :D

Its quite possible, they put their employees in cubicles 12H a day , fed with nutritional sludge falling from the ceiling, no human contact, with god king sawyer barking orders on them....Thats more or less classic gaming industry work conditions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This is standard practice for industries in general. The drones with no influence and power slave for their overlords, who benefit tremendously from that, and yell at each other with no hope for anything else. Welcome to capitalism, I guess.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Question for people who beat deadfire.Is combat more tactical on max level? Or its is popamole pre x for awesome to happen??In comparison with poe 1 ofc.
It is press space and see everything die.

Even in update 1.2.2 ????
I don't know to be honest,i finished the game and will try it out again after all the DLC is out....maybe. But judging by the core of the game,yeah it is pretty easy and patches won't do much about it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The difficulty is fine on PotD until around 12th level, then it devolves into Select all -> Right click.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom