Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OMG! WTF have I got myself into this time????

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
token_17.jpg

6999-EscRavenhearst_040.jpg

159819_1333334395_large.jpg

mystery-case-files-escape-from-ravenhearst-ce-14096.jpg

21223.jpg

0.jpg

Pic 1: You have to try and find a way to turn the spank'o'matic on.

Pic 2: You have to run a load of babies through an x-ray machine.

Pic 3: You have to find a way to electrocute the dude.

Pic 4: You have to cut the obese bed-ridden woman's toenails, trim her nose hair & then squeeze her zits & then... & then collect them all in a jar of historical detritus.

Pic 5: I haven't even got here yet.

Pic 6: You have to pump up a row of women's stomachs to resemble pregnancy, squelching sounds included. Pumping up one deflates others. Skipped.

The fuck am I playing!

:shredder:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
What game is this?

Asking for a friend.

The utterly bizarre thing is, it's the 8th game in a long-running and well respected series of what most people would describe as fairly mediocre casual fare but on the quality side of that paradigm. Up until now, it's been one of those series where you kind of dig how 'innocent' and 'cheesy' it all is, even when it's trying to be dark and edgy.

So this was even more so a big wet fish slapped in my face while I was sleeping. It's the equivalent of watching 7 instalments of Scooby-Doo movies and then, for the 8th one, they get a new director in who wants to make a comedy Saw movie.

Some reviews marked most helpful [it only got 3/5 from hardcore fans, most games in the series up to now were guaranteed 4/5 at the very least]:

For those thinking of trying the game, heed the warning that is given. It deals with a subject matter that may well make some uncomfortable. It's not a "guts & gore" type of thing, it's more of a psychological type of unsettling, but something that is all too real in life as well. That's what makes it even more unsettling.

This game is brilliant. Granted, the plot is not for everyone (you WERE warned, it's scary and disquieting) but I found it to be engaging and most of all a lot of fun.

When I read the warnings, I thought that they weren't serious. The past games that I had purchased never gave me nightmares and this one didn't either. But, some of my dreams were related to the game and it was quite creepy! Only happened once before, even after many horror movies!
Definitely not for younger audiences, so beware of who plays it!

INTENSE!! This game gives new meaning to the word. Telling this story involves looking at some of the uglier sides of life, so this game is right on the edge of decency. And it is a VERY challenging game to play. The feel of it is that of the more heavy duty of adventure and RPG games. Almost everything you need to do you must work out for yourself, and it is rarely a straightforward process.

I'm getting bored with the overly-easy games, where obvious items are used in obvious places, and the sparkly "helpers" make me feel like I'm a mouse clicker being lead through a story, rather than actually playing a game. This is completely different, and requires out-of-the-box thinking and brainpower. It's a challenging game, which sucked me right in, and I haven't played one this well planned and devious for a long time.

Some of the things needed to do be done in the game were kind of gross, and some things were funny.

I read many reviews before trying this game out. Lots of these reviews were very negative calling the game "over the top" and disturbing. I took their warnings into account, however after enjoying the hour long demo I went ahead and purchased it as I didn't see anything too bad.
I encountered the portions these reviews were talking about and although I agree they were disturbing, I felt they played right in line with the saga. These games have always been creepy, unsettling, and yes, disturbing, but that really only adds to the overall charm. My often dark sense of humor was satisfied with tidbits like the cause of death stated on the mannequins' toe tags in the morgue.

In the less helpful category, lots of:

Sorry Guys you've lost me on this one. It is a seriously unpleasant game - over complicated with impossible puzzles. Feels like a group of young men were given a large budget and left to give indulge their gross-out factor (I mean vacuuming babies out of pregnant women, c'mon on). Some of us play these games for relaxation and enjoyment. Weird need not mean gross

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
yySlTMB.jpg

um2etFT.jpg

GvmFDqB.jpg

[Sorry for the bad screenies, these games won't let me ctrl prtscr due to using a third party download suit for all these kind of games I play, so these are taken the old fashioned way of photographing the screen.]

Anyway...

Whelp, that's was certainly a game!

I hereby forward this game to the council for establishing codex classics. Those obscure gems come train-wrecks that just have that something to them. Of course, in order to have this claim verified it will require some of you poor suckers who evaluate such things to actually play the game yourself, for quality assurance and record keeping purposes.

So, what is it?

It's called: "Mystery Case Files: Escape From Ravenhearst" and is the third instalment of the specific Ravenhearst setting within the wider universe of the Mystery Case Files games, of which this is the eighth instalment. Mystery Case Files currently has 17 titles in its universe & is on its third set of developers, the first stopping developing them after the 9th game.

The very first Mystery Case Files game was a pure hidden object game called "Huntsville". As the series progressed the hidden object games became less and less of an element as puzzles started to become the main focus. from this point Adventure Game elements started to appear and started to replace puzzles for priority. By the release of Escape From Ravenhearst hidden object puzzles of the type from the first game had been completely removed and the game was, to all intents and purposes, just an adventure game with some token refence to Hidden Object gaming via some occasional morphing object collection screens. So it went like this:

1st game: 95% hidden objects, 5% puzzles
3rd game (first Ravenhearst): 80% hidden objects, 20% puzzles
5th game (second Ravenhearst): 50% hidden objects, 30% puzzles, 20% adventure game (also now using live actors in scenes)
8th game (third Ravenhearst): 20% hidden objects, but now morphing objects rather than specific items, 20% puzzles & 60% adventure game (the screenshot above are all of live actors, though none in the OP, except the face in the tele)

So, by just the eighth game in the series the games had completely and 100% morphed, if you'll excuse the pun, from simple hidden object games into full blown adventure games.

1st codex classic criteria therefore: a game series where each game has distinctly developed and changed over time whereby the instalment in question bares virtually zero resemblance to its original.

Likewise, the instalment in question severely angered a large section of the established fanbase and generated all kinds of thoroughly entertaining butthurt, whilst still remaining a playable and somewhat popular game. As with the gradual change above, the 'edgy' content of the games went from:

1st game: light hearted mocking humour
3rd game (first Ravenhearst): light horror themes with very little sense of real creep
5th game (second Ravenhearst): quite edgy with more bizarre and creepiness than one would expect
8th game (third Ravenhearst): So over the top in its creep that it's folded itself back round to humour, but the humour now being dark humour rather than light, outright offensive rather than simply mocking etc.

2nd codex classic criteria therefore: the game courts controversy, but not from intention, just from incongruous development drifts to the point where something has been made that no-one predicted, no-one expected & the fallout was majestic.

3rd codex classic criteria: it's actually a pretty hard game, and even has a couple of puzzles that will make even the most hardcore adventure gamer be tempted to reach for a walkthrough with a coherent atmosphere and design aesthetic and some genuinely laugh out loud moments, including both gameplay and cutscenes. The people who made it, from the developers to the actors all seemed to be having a ball making it.

But is my offering to the codex trough going to elicit nothing but a single day eyebrow raise? Or are those who judge such things going to take up the gifthorse challenge and investigate the merits of the claim by actually giving it a whirl?

Dare to Play?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom