Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs then vs RPGs now

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
CRPGs of modern days are shittier in comparison to the old ones. At least ActionRPGs are keeping themself afloat with glorious games like ELEX and KC,we also have Spiders games. Only good CRPGs this days are from Vogel and some one man team indies.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Also you're the grandmaster of the Arena, head of the mages guild, head of the fighters guild, the head of the Dark Brotherhood, the Dragonborn, slayer of Dragons, the main proponent of the Rebellion, the guy who saves the world, the greatest thief in the land, a vampire who fucked a werewolf, and I acknowledge nothing of that since there is no ingame system of actually giving you any immersion. So kill these mudcrabs, fuck your full Deadric armor set what is that even supposed to mean?
Right, coz it would be much more practical to have everyone start a new playthrough for each of these factions. That'd it make it more realistic, when you become archmage of the College in Winterhold!! And then start over and grind for a hundred hours to become the master assassin. And then again. And again. And again.

:retarded:

LB_wannabe

Educated
Newfag here,

I need to know the arcane secrets of posting pictures in this toxic forum for this charming picture: https://imgur.com/a/i3zeRDR
First, you need the url of an image, rather than a web-page with an image (i.e. right-click on the image, then select "view image" or "copy image location" to obtain https://i.imgur.com/Cc7h2XH.png).

Second, hit the image button and paste in the image's url, or paste in the image's url and surround it by [ img ] [ /img ] tags without spaces.

Thanks really.

Cc7h2XH.png

HGbTK7r.png

I like Might and Magic, but here you are

F4QL4AI.jpg

not exactly CRPG related

npXAPmC.jpg

Last edited:

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Actually, Skyrim can be brutally hard, if you set it to a hard difficulty.

It is not satisfyingly difficult, though, because it has bad combat mechanics (that forward heavy attack that sends your hero running into the wall past the enemy 9/10 times, lol).

frajaq

Erudite

It is not satisfyingly difficult, though, because it has bad combat mechanics (that forward heavy attack that sends your hero running into the wall past the enemy 9/10 times, lol).

Sure but that's the lazy "cut/increase percentages of damage dealt/received" way of difficulty

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The issue with dififculty in Skyrim is that it just requires a higher degree of patience. It doesn't test your skill any more than it tests your desire to do something else.

typical user

Arbiter

Level Sneak to 100, get Assasin's Gloves and strong dagger or bow. If your enemy survives sneak attacks the probably won't detect you. It's as hard as watching paint dry.

Farewell into the night

Devs aren't as smart as in the old days. They'll eventually create a masterpiece RPG, mark my words. They just need to get more experienced in this whole new crazy world.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
and how will you know about any of this, assuming you're not playing with a walkthrough in one hand?
What the fuck does this even mean? If you want to make an assassin, you're naturally going to max bows stealth. Doesn't take a rocket science to realize that these shitty fucking enemies aren't finding you, even when you're literally crouched five feet in front of them. And again, if you're an assassin, what else are you going to use other than the assassin's glove. I figured this shit out when I was 13 ffs. Game was easy as fuck, even on expert. I didn't bother playing it on Master, cause it would have just been more of the same shit with higher numbers.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

What the fuck does this even mean?
It means that unless you're playing with a min-maxingguide that tells you exactly where to go, you will spend dozens if not hundreds of hours just getting to the point where the game is piss-easy. Especially if you actually explore and get side-traccked, instead of playing like an autistic thirteen year-old.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
It means that unless you're playing with a min-maxingguide that tells you exactly where to go, you will spend dozens if not hundreds of hours just getting to the point where the game is piss-easy. Especially if you actually explore and get side-traccked, instead of playing like an autistic thirteen year-old.
Min maxing? I'm playing a stealthy character, why the fuck wouldn't I max stealth? That's not min maxing, that's just common sense. And what does exploring/getting side-tracked have to do with leveling? You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Sometimes it's a good idea to just say, "Yeah guess you're right, my mistake.", instead of trying to push a square peg into a round hole.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

No, idiot.
Level Sneak to 100, get Assasin's Gloves and strong dagger or bow.
Getting all of this highly specific stuff requires ample gameplay time if you play naturally. Sneak in particular is tricky to level, unless you use exploits. Assassin's Brotherhood gear needs to be found and acquired, the game doesn't tell you "go here to be an assassin" like it does with Dawnguard and Dragonborn dlcs. Same thing with a "strong dagger or bow". Like I said, dozens if not hundreds of hours of gameplay without autism and cheating.

E.g. I decided to join the College of Winterhold a week ago (replaying Skyrim on the Switch) because my level 10 Nord took about three hours to kill a dragon with basic Destruction spells on expert. As I was clearing out the last dungeon in the Greybeards town, I got roofied up by Sanguine, woke up in a city I never been to in previous playthrough, triggered an uprising in that city which ended with me doing a lengthy investigation, ending in prison, breaking out, doing all the other quests in that city, eventually tracked down Sanguine, turned into a vampire along the way, found the guy who heals vampirism, killed a few dragons and giants along the way, did all the quests in the starting city for good measure, which of course involved joining the companions and doing all their quests, and ran into Alduin. Maybe now I'll finally do the mage faction questline.

If you play like an autistic asshat who Googles "best assassin items", runs to get them as soon as you leave Helgen, and then stands under a wall for three hours to max-out sneak, then don't whine that the game is "too easy". You made it that way. Don't metagame in single-player RPGs.

EDIT: we're at the quote-splitting stage of autism, apparently. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Min maxing? I'm playing a stealthy character, why the fuck wouldn't I max stealth? That's not min maxing, that's just common sense. And what does exploring/getting side-tracked have to do with leveling? You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Sometimes it's a good idea to just say, "Yeah guess you're right, my mistake.", instead of trying to push a square peg into a round hole.
Have you even played the fucking game,do you even fucking know what you are talking about?! It takes many hours to max stealth in that fucking game! It takes like 30 fucking hours on a stealth playtrough to get to 100,that is if you decide to play and cheat or cheese. If you decide to go min/max and max out the blacksmithing,enchanting and speech before going adventuring it will be one hell of a ride even without going on on hardest dif.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Getting all of this highly specific stuff requires ample gameplay time if you play naturally
Leveling sneak as you play comes naturally. Getting a strong bow if you use bows comes naturally. And I'd like to note, you don't specifically need assassins gloves if you want to use a bow.
Sneak in particular is tricky to level, unless you use exploits.
I leveled sneak pretty fucking fast mate, fast enough that it made most combat trivial. You don't necessarily need 100 stealth throughout the entire game. Even with it at reasonable levels, you can easily just sneak wherever the fuck you want to go.
Assassin's Brotherhood gear needs to be found and acquired, the game doesn't tell you "go here to be an assassin" like it does with Dawnguard and Dragonborn dlcs.
I regret bringing up assassins gear, because if you're using a box, you don't even necessarily need the gloves. The game is still ridiculously easy even without these specific gloves which do optimize how you sneak attack people with daggers.
Like I said, dozens if not hundreds of hours of gameplay without autism and cheating.
The game picks up in difficulty towards the middle of the game, which is coincidentally right as you begin to start getting enough levels in stealth to give you the ability to sneak around fairly easily.
If you play like an autistic asshat who Googles "best assassin items", runs to get them as soon as you leave Helgen, and then stands under a wall for three hours to max-out sneak, then don't whine that the game is "too easy". You made it that way. Don't metagame in single-player RPGs.
Nah, you're just bad. I played Skyrim when I was 12-13 years old and I had no difficulty with the game. The stealth is just one example of the game having shit combat; the game wans't difficult playing as a pure warrior or mage either.
It takes many hours to max stealth in that fucking game!
"Max stealth", as in I actively work towards getting feats and skilling up stealth while I play the game.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
header.jpg

This is the only modern game (that I know of) that came close to the quality and capturing the feel of the CRPGs of old.
And like the older games, this one is a flawed gem in many respects.
Every other attempt at creating a modern CRPG was a failure to varying degrees.

Anywho, I've been waiting nearly 20 years for a worthy successor to Arcanum, and I'm pretty sure I'll never see it.

typical user

Arbiter
And how long will that take, and how will you know about any of this, assuming you're not playing with a walkthrough in one hand?

Memes about stealth archer?

No, idiot.
Getting all of this highly specific stuff requires ample gameplay time if you play naturally. Sneak in particular is tricky to level, unless you use exploits. Assassin's Brotherhood gear needs to be found and acquired, the game doesn't tell you "go here to be an assassin" like it does with Dawnguard and Dragonborn dlcs. Same thing with a "strong dagger or bow". Like I said, dozens if not hundreds of hours of gameplay without autism and cheating.

E.g. I decided to join the College of Winterhold a week ago (replaying Skyrim on the Switch) because my level 10 Nord took about three hours to kill a dragon with basic Destruction spells on expert. As I was clearing out the last dungeon in the Greybeards town, I got roofied up by Sanguine, woke up in a city I never been to in previous playthrough, triggered an uprising in that city which ended with me doing a lengthy investigation, ending in prison, breaking out, doing all the other quests in that city, eventually tracked down Sanguine, turned into a vampire along the way, found the guy who heals vampirism, killed a few dragons and giants along the way, did all the quests in the starting city for good measure, which of course involved joining the companions and doing all their quests, and ran into Alduin. Maybe now I'll finally do the mage faction questline.

EDIT: we're at the quote-splitting stage of autism, apparently. lol

You start sneaking and between dungeons you train your sneaking skills with a teacher for otherwise useless gold. You get a miscellanous quest from town guards at certain level about a kid that wants to contact Dark Brotherhood which is an assassin's guild. Also you get shoehorned into Thieves Guild questline through main story. These guys also teach you the magnificent ways of ghetto magic which in Russia formed a political ideology. Their questline also hands you some of the best items in the game.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Something killed vidya for me, but sure as shit wasn't my real life. Maybe sort of doing with time, but if I liked vidya more I'd find the time... I think franchising did it. A cabal of IPs defining vidya, like how Jaws defined the blockbuster, mostly killed good games. 3D contributed, but going mainstream and franchising as a whole is what culled risk-takers in gayms. That, and piss poor money sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom