Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hasbro CEO wants to make D&D esports franchise

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Brian Goldner, douchebag CEO of Hasbro, was on the idiot box the other day and he talked about turning his Wizards of the Coast properties into games suitable for esports.

Trigger the codex with a statement:

“He added that Hasbro's goal over time will be to build fantasy games like these into esports properties "ripe for global esports competition" as consumers increasingly choose digital gaming over standard tabletop games.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...ns--dragons-is-having-its-best-year-ever.html

I’m calling it now: Forgotten Realms Battle Royale

Dodo1610

Arcane
Yeah that will work, Dungeons and Dragons and esports are a match made in heaven.... .

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Trying to jump on the bandwagon when it's probably too late again. And how exactly does he plan to do it? And which genre? MOBAs, card games, RTS (lol)?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If anyone were to bother reading the article you'd see that what they want to do is make their M:tG online card game, and possibly future vidya games into an esports.

Still a dumb idea, but not outright crazy like trying to turn a tabletop RPG into an esport.

Mortmal

Arcane
The guy is clearly right.
"Shares of toy maker Hasbro (NASDAQ:HAS) rose on Monday following a second-quarter report that easily beat expectations. While revenue declined, due in part to the Toys R Us bankruptcy, both the top and bottom lines came in ahead of analyst estimates. Hasbro stock was up about 13.2% at 11:35 a.m. EDT. Rival Mattel (NASDAQ:MAT) also got a boost from the news, with shares up about 4.1%."

Doktor Best

Arcane
What a cool dude man. He knows games from magazines and doesnt afraid of anything.

sser

Arcane
Developer
If anyone were to bother reading the article you'd see that what they want to do is make their M:tG online card game, and possibly future vidya games into an esports.

Still a dumb idea, but not outright crazy like trying to turn a tabletop RPG into an esport.

Yeah well I read the paid for content part of the ad story and the CEO went on to say that the D&D dice rolls would be replaced by a sort of 'Legends of the Hidden Temple' type endurance run.

"I want to bring the athlete back in eSports Athlete," the CEO said, briefly looking up from one of three BlackBerries. "Know what I mean?"

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
i-jKnWSsD-2100x20000.jpg

But the CEO's comments aren't about D&D. :M

Generic-Giant-Spider

The real Brian Goldner is dead and has been replaced by a highly intelligent impostor that uses human camouflage to mask their true reptilian nature.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
CEO of Hasbro probably doesn't know how to turn a computer on.

The idea of digital magic the gathering products has been a running joke for years.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Brian Goldner, douchebag CEO of Hasbro, was on the idiot box the other day and he talked about turning his Wizards of the Coast properties into games suitable for esports.
Lies! Shoutbox is full of crazy talk but no one would so low as to spout that kind of nonsense.

...oh you mean TV...carry on

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom