Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
For "attempts" at humor after Fallout 2, I tried to keep the humor based on the setting and events happening in the setting vs. drawing or referencing outside sources. : /

I also made a point to make sure that was part of style guides I write as well: any humor should stem from the game world and the situation at hand.

As an example, the movie Aliens has some genuinely funny moments, but they're all based on character reactions to things taking place in the movie, and they actually reinforce those character arcs and emphasize the horror/breakdown of the situation, if that makes any sense.
That's definitely true in general, but sometimes it makes more sense (more fun) to break the rules. The "outside the setting" jokes pretty much define Fallout 2 and are part of the reason I still enjoy replaying it

Cael

Arcane
Nice to see a homage to the work of Darin Morgan, the Chris Avellone of the X-Files. He wrote the series' best episodes in the early seasons. Chris Avellone you a fan?

I am indeed, and I liked "Humbug" and "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" very much. : )

But yes, Fallout 2 had way too many inside jokes/references.

For "attempts" at humor after Fallout 2, I tried to keep the humor based on the setting and events happening in the setting vs. drawing or referencing outside sources. : /

I also made a point to make sure that was part of style guides I write as well: any humor should stem from the game world and the situation at hand.

As an example, the movie Aliens has some genuinely funny moments, but they're all based on character reactions to things taking place in the movie, and they actually reinforce those character arcs and emphasize the horror/breakdown of the situation, if that makes any sense.
What did you think of Deadpool2?

:happytrollboy:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Chris Avellone hey bro, could you weigh in on the Baldur's Gate 3 discussion above? Were you thinking about Obsidian's BG3 when you wrote "Interplay version" in that tweet, or are there other versions of BG3 that are/were in development?

Rev

Arcane
Second tweet sounds like something I could actually be interested to, contrary to many of his late freelancing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://pc-igre.info/intervju-sa-chris-avellone-om/

I don’t usually have article in English, but since this can be interesting for people that don’t understand Serbian, I will leave original Chis Avellone answers:
  1. What is 5 pros and cons for working in gaming industry?
Chris Avellone:I can do four of each:

Pros
Relaxed work environment

Peers often share same interests (this may sound obvious, but in other jobs, this isn’t often the case)

You work on GAMES – it can be more like a hobby you get paid for

Creative challenges always present, and the job never stagnates – you often get new challenges every day

Cons
Can be time-consuming in some parts of the industry (crunch)

Can be initial disappointment when you discover you may not have as much freedom with ideas (but you can adjust, and you should)

May find yourself mimicking a tone (example: working on a franchise) vs. setting your own tone for a game (but again, this is very much part of the business)

Some companies don’t pay very much, so can be hard to support yourself depending on where you work

1. What skills should young people develop the most, if they pursue carrier in gaming industry?
Chris Avellone: Attention to detail and a willingness to explore and make mistakes – attention to detail is important because without it, your game is going to have some underlying flaws (bugs) both technically and aesthetically.

For exploring and making mistakes – everyone has the ability to sit down, utilize free tools or modding software, and start making game content right now – so there’s no reason to wait on a career, go make your own career. You may not make the perfect game from the outset, but you can learn a lot and make a lot of errors quickly that you can learn from and move forward on the second game, third game, and more.

In short, you can make a game on your own right now – and if you enjoy modding another company’s game, chances are they’ll notice your work if you complete it and do a good job. And if you apply to the company itself, you’ll likely have an advantage over other applicants.

1. Do you know people from Serbia, and have you worked with any of them?
Chris Avellone: I have met a few at game conventions overseas, but have not had the chance to work with any of them at this time, no, but I would be happy for the opportunity.

1. Do you have favorite character that you created?
Chris Avellone: I like them all for different reasons, it’d be hard to choose just one. I did enjoy writing Fall-From-Grace in Planescape: Torment because the idea of a puritan succubus who was wise, polite, and genuinely a nice person was a fun challenge.

1. What game are you playing right now?
Chris Avellone: Aside from builds of games I’m working on, I’m playing Dragon’s Crown and Horizon: Zero Dawn. I also got the new re-released Nintendo NES’s, and I’ve been playing Castlevania on it and having a blast.

imweasel

Castlevania actually isn't very hard.

Mega Man, Ghosts'N'Goblins and Ninja Gaiden are some of the very brutal ones.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Didn't you handle them when playing them as a kid?
No, I rarely completed games from the 8 bit or even the 16 bit era.
I'm always surprised and somewhat suspicious when normies talk about these old games with fondness, considering how difficult they were. People talk about how challenging games like Dark Souls are when they basically have no death penalty, when in comparison these old 8-bit games required you to beat them in a single sitting and losing all of your lives meant a complete reset. I played Super Mario Land on the gameboy for countless hours as a kid and never finished it; got to the final area and boss a few times but inevitably died and then it was all the way back to the beginning.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm always surprised and somewhat suspicious when normies talk about these old games with fondness, considering how difficult they were. People talk about how challenging games like Dark Souls are when they basically have no death penalty, when in comparison these old 8-bit games required you to beat them in a single sitting and losing all of your lives meant a complete reset. I played Super Mario Land on the gameboy for countless hours as a kid and never finished it; got to the final area and boss a few times but inevitably died and then it was all the way back to the beginning.
Well some of them did have save and password systems to keep your progress, with some of those passwords getting absurdly complex depending on how much information they saved.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Super Mario Land on the Gameboy was pretty easy. I think people just have widely different levels of ability when it comes to these games and what seems hard for some is just right with lots and lots of training. Nobody beats these games the first time, but as a kid you have a shit ton of time and can basically memorize whole games including almost all the enemies.

Also most shmup fans would laugh if you insinuate that the final levels of SML are anything but easy

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
5. What game are you playing right now?

Chris Avellone: Aside from builds of games I’m working on, I’m playing Dragon’s Crown and Horizon: Zero Dawn. I also got the new re-released Nintendo NES’s, and I’ve been playing Castlevania on it and having a blast.
I wonder which of the 6 Dragon's Crown characters Chris Avellone is playing. :M My guess is the wizard.

latest

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I wonder how much one would have to pay if they wanted to source Chris for a week. Say, at Bali for instance.

It took 5,284 posts before the Codex would stop beating around the bush and get to the point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom